4/4- Sox at Cubs, 3:05, Marquee

flavum

11 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Weird how a guy people all don't like is ending up at peoples weddings and still socializing with a ton of guys on the Sox during ST

Hendricks was on The Score recently and mentioned how they have a group that gets dinners together regularly. Madrigal is part of that group still, despite getting traded. Doesn't fit the narrative we have heard here. 

• Like 1

Just now, ron883 said:

Hendricks was on The Score recently and mentioned how they have a group that gets dinners together regularly. Madrigal is part of that group still, despite getting traded. Doesn't fit the narrative we have heard here. 

What a shocker 🙂

Just now, fathom said:

There were definitely some teammates that didn’t like him, but more importantly, the front office and coaching staff didn’t like him.

I don't mean this to be rude, but I am just very skeptical of this narrative. The Sox couldn't acquire Kimbrel without trading from the big league roster, and everything since I think has been a way for people to rationalize a terrible trade

Just now, maxjusttyped said:

I don't mean this to be rude, but I am just very skeptical of this narrative. The Sox couldn't acquire Kimbrel without trading from the big league roster, and everything since I think has been a way for people to rationalize a terrible trade

Harold, myself and a few others had heard they were trying to trade Madrigal for a long time.  Everyone said no way...and then it happened.  If this was a player that was well-liked throughout whole org, Stoney would have never buried him like he did. 

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Harold, myself and a few others had heard they were trying to trade Madrigal for a long time.  Everyone said no way...and then it happened.  If this was a player that was well-liked throughout whole org, Stoney would have never buried him like he did. 

So, then, they made an evaluation error with him. Whether it was the decision to draft Madrigal or the decision to trade him, that's not really a conversation I'm interested in having right now. But the narrative he was traded in large part because people didn't like him personally isn't something I buy. This is the same organization that employed AJP for like a decade and gave Grandal the biggest contract in franchise history.

1 minute ago, maxjusttyped said:

So, then, they made an evaluation error with him. Whether it was the decision to draft Madrigal or the decision to trade him, that's not really a conversation I'm interested in having right now. But the narrative he was traded in large part because people didn't like him personally isn't something I buy. This is the same organization that employed AJP for like a decade and gave Grandal the biggest contract in franchise history.

He was traded more cause the front office realized quickly he wasn’t the player they thought they were getting.  The personality stuff was just one aspect of it.  I’m sure if he had 70 speed and defense, they could have dealt with it.

• Like 1

Just now, fathom said:

He was traded more cause the front office realized quickly he wasn’t the player they thought they were getting.  The personality stuff was just one aspect of it.  I’m sure if he had 70 speed and defense, they could have dealt with it.

He was 3rd amongst AL 2B in fWAR when he got hurt. Madrigal is a good player but we've had this conversation a million times already. I don't think his defense was nearly as bad as the narrative suggests. People were overreacting to a few bad plays and not allowing him the same patience we do with most young players.

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

The Sox not knowing how fast he was when they drafted him makes no sense. You're clocking kids home to first, home to second, and first to third when scouting them since they're 15 years old. It's not as if he lost speed. You're also clocking them 1st to 2nd, both jump and time. 

This narrative that somehow a team could be getting a player who actually isn't as fast as they assumed just doesn't make sense.

You want to argue the glove had some challenges with the speed of the game they didn't expect, I could buy that. The speed though, no chance they were shocked by a guy running the same times he has been running for years.

• Like 2