Austin Meadows traded to the Tigers

maxjusttyped

Serious question and thought experiment -- what are the AL contenders that have the "complete" roster that many are furious at the White Sox for not assembling, i.e. one with no-doubters at every position and rotation slot ("every need filled")?  Seems to me that there are as many or more question marks in the rotations of the Astros, Yankees, Blue Jays, Red Sox and Rays than in the White Sox rotation (once Lynn returns from injury).  Definitely more question marks in their respective bullpens. 

As for offenses -- just spitballing but the Astros haven't replaced Correa, arguably their best player and cheater.  Red Sox haven't replaced Schwarber, and are relying I think on Bobby Dalbec at 1b and JBJ starting in a not-very-impressive outfield.  The Yankees' starting CF is who, Aaron Hicks?  The Blue Jays lineup is almost as loaded as ours, but their starting C is who, Danny Jansen?  

I would love to have a couple more #2 starters and feature arms up and down the rotation that are *both* top-level and battle-tested.  I'd love to have an all-star caliber 2b rather than Harrison (who is really the only "hole" in our lineup).  But that's really not how it works, ever.  Every team has a few slots where they're trying to get by, or get lucky, or wait-and-see.  We have fewer of those than most.

1 hour ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Serious question and thought experiment -- what are the AL contenders that have the "complete" roster that many are furious at the White Sox for not assembling, i.e. one with no-doubters at every position and rotation slot ("every need filled")?  Seems to me that there are as many or more question marks in the rotations of the Astros, Yankees, Blue Jays, Red Sox and Rays than in the White Sox rotation (once Lynn returns from injury).  Definitely more question marks in their respective bullpens. 

As for offenses -- just spitballing but the Astros haven't replaced Correa, arguably their best player and cheater.  Red Sox haven't replaced Schwarber, and are relying I think on Bobby Dalbec at 1b and JBJ starting in a not-very-impressive outfield.  The Yankees' starting CF is who, Aaron Hicks?  The Blue Jays lineup is almost as loaded as ours, but their starting C is who, Danny Jansen?  

I would love to have a couple more #2 starters and feature arms up and down the rotation that are *both* top-level and battle-tested.  I'd love to have an all-star caliber 2b rather than Harrison (who is really the only "hole" in our lineup).  But that's really not how it works, ever.  Every team has a few slots where they're trying to get by, or get lucky, or wait-and-see.  We have fewer of those than most.

I agree 100%. Yeah would it have been cool to sign Scherzer and trade for Meadows, yeah of course, but the likelihood that any team in baseball has a GREAT bullpen, GREAT staff and GREAT player at every spot in the lineup is slim to none & slim left. No team will ever have 10 hall of famers and a bunch of hall of almost's. It's ok to make the playoffs 3 years in a row. We just have to hope Robert takes another step, Vaughn takes a big step, Moncada gets *some* power back and Cease takes a leap. I don't believe it's unreasonable to think all of the above happen

4 hours ago, mqr said:

Ah you listen to an awful lot of Bernstein. 

This explains a lot. 

Lol, Bernstein definitely seems like somebody Jack would listen to. Boers and Bernstein used to be appointment radio, imo. It all went downhill starting around the Penn State scandal era. Bernstein and Goff was probably his lowest point. That show just sucked. He used to be the best host in Chicago, without question. How the mighty have fallen. 

7 hours ago, ptatc said:

Deny it all you want. It's not a strawman argument as you like to excuse when you don't like the discussion. 

When would don't like it result to obfuscation and insulting the person.

Firstly, go ahead and look at my posting history. I've always stated that starting pitching was a need. 

Secondly, I do not insult anyone one these boards, apart from RH, who has richly deserved every scrap of scorn he receives. 

Don't believe me? Check my posting history.

OTOH, you've used the global term "pitching" as a need, vice SPs or RPs. (Also, I had to re-read your second sentence to tease out what I think you've intended.)

Edited by Two-Gun Pete