Austin Meadows traded to the Tigers

maxjusttyped

5 minutes ago, ptatc said:

That would be my guess so that is the challenge now. Find an acceptable pitcher for that price and not trade an .LB important piece.

If only they signed one of the ~dozen+ SP's who were available earlier this off-season that would have filled a huge need without breaking their budget.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Being limited by the CBT is a choice.  And they choose to throw $5M here and there to marginal players instead of paying for legit upgrades.  I’ve been a fan of this team long enough to know how they operate so I’m realistic.  But it’s kinda disingenuous to harp on those that were outspoken about the gaping RF hole as if we didn’t also talk about replacing Rodon, or Kopech’s inning limit, or covering for Keuchel when he crashes and burns.  Or the lack of pitching depth in the upper minors.  Pitching was as big a need as RF and they have the means to address both had they made the choice to do so. 

Yes, being limited by the CBT is a choice. But in reality we know they will stick to it. So we need to work with the budget for it.

We can combine a out it all we want but we can't change it. If you want to switch the discussion to them sticki g to the CBT limitation, it's a different discussion. 

1 minute ago, maxjusttyped said:

If only they signed one of the ~dozen+ SP's who were available earlier this off-season that would have filled a huge need without breaking their budget.

Bargain basement scrap heap shopping is their love drug.  

1 minute ago, maxjusttyped said:

I believe I was the only one to suggest that and was shouted down by the masses stating that RF was the priority.

Just now, ptatc said:

I believe I was the only one to suggest that and was shouted down by the masses stating that RF was the priority.

I don't mean this to be rude, but you're the only one acting as if the Sox are 2M below the luxury tax threshold rather than 20. They very clearly could have addressed 2B/RF/SP and stayed under the tax. I listed 7 starters, just off the top of my head, who were FA's this past off-season the Sox could have signed and not come anywhere near the 1st CBT number.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

Yes, being limited by the CBT is a choice. But in reality we know they will stick to it. So we need to work with the budget for it.

We can combine a out it all we want but we can't change it. If you want to switch the discussion to them sticki g to the CBT limitation, it's a different discussion. 

My point is that both were needs and they did a poor job until recently of addressing either.  I know your smart enough to see that.  Pretending like they didn’t waste a bunch of money on other things and couldn’t have addressed both needs much earlier is silly.  

Just now, Tnetennba said:

My point is that both were needs and they did a poor job until recently of addressing either.  I know your smart enough to see that.  Pretending like they didn’t waste a bunch of money on other things and couldn’t have addressed both needs much earlier is silly.  

I disagree as the bullpen need to be addressed as well. I still say the bullpen was the weakest link. The lineup was really good already. The pitching staff was good but not deep.

43 minutes ago, Tony said:

What's not funny is you spamming this board with nearly 17,000 posts of the same irrational bullshit, hijacking thread after thread in the process. 

That's unfair. I don't think most people thought I was a terrible poster until a few years ago. I think it got really bad in 2020. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Oh god dude, why do you keep doing this to yourself?  Just tone it down a bit and keep posting.  No need to get yourself banned again prior to the season starting.

Because if I am not wanted on the board, and people think I only drag it down, I don't want to be here. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

24 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I disagree as the bullpen need to be addressed as well. I still say the bullpen was the weakest link. The lineup was really good already. The pitching staff was good but not deep.

The bullpen without Crochet, Kelly and Kimbrell is not exactly their strongest link right now…

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

Jack, I for one welcome all points of view and find a nice balance between you and Vafan and jerksticks. 

I also think you should be allowed to post whatever absurd overly negative Tarik Skubal might win the Cy young while giolito is DFA'ed mid-season nonsense you want. That said, I really wish you'd enjoy the team and squad more for your own health. It's rare for this organization to be this talented and fun and I'm afraid you're just wasting this fun and enjoyable time by being miserable and waiting for some collapse. I worry you'll look back and regret not enjoying this. Fanhood really isn't worthy of being miserable. If you can't enjoy the good teams you'll just be miserable 24/7 too.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 2
  • Fire 1

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Jack, I for one welcome all points of view and find a nice balance between you and Vafan and jerksticks. 

I also think you should be allowed to post whatever absurd overly negative Tarik Skubal might win the Cy young while giolito is DFA'ed mid-season nonsense you want. That said, I really wish you'd enjoy the team and squad more for your own health. It's rare for this organization to be this talented and fun and I'm afraid your just wasting this fun and enjoyable time by being miserable and waiting for some collapse. Live a little, bud.

Gio dfa'd? hahahaha

I'm the guy that said he's going to shove this year. 

And yes, If Vaughn was on the Twins I'd think he'd be the next Frank Thomas hahaha. 

I think Robert is going to hit 40 bombs too. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The bullpen without Crochet, Kelly and Kimbrell is not exactly their strongest link right now…

Yes, but thunk of it without Graveman and eventually Kelly. You essentially have Hendriks and Bummer. That's a lot of late lost leads.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I also think you should be allowed to post whatever absurd overly negative Tarik Skubal might win the Cy young while giolito is DFA'ed mid-season nonsense you want. That said, I really wish you'd enjoy the team and squad more for your own health. It's rare for this organization to be this talented and fun and I'm afraid you're just wasting this fun and enjoyable time by being miserable and waiting for some collapse. I worry you'll look back and regret not enjoying this. Fanhood really isn't worthy of being miserable. If you can't enjoy the good teams you'll just be miserable 24/7 too.

THIS - WELL SAID RAY RAY. 

• Thanks 1

I would have been OK with Cody Bellinger, instead of AJP for probably less than 10+5.

Frankly, if the just got a team to take over Kimbrel's 16 Mil salary that would have been a positive outcome. .

Consider if AJP  spends 50+ games on the DL the Sox can still buy him out for another 5Mil.  That's 15Mill for an POFer on a team that has a boatload of them.

Frankly at the  end of the day  ptatc was right about the priorities being misplaced. Maybe Vaughn's lawn dart dive sealed the deal with Hahn.

Never forget some posters here lwere all in on the original trade for Kimbrel.  Terrible trades can weigh down a team with older or  under-performing  players and bloated contracts .Rule #1 - Don;t trade young #1prospect for an old Closer in decline. Rule #2. Don't make stupid trades with the Cubs.

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Gio dfa'd? hahahaha

I'm the guy that said he's going to shove this year. 

At least having a real division race this year will make things interesting and keep everyone in the organization honest.

Way too much coasting last year until they suddenly realized Houston having HFA wasn’t such a great idea. 

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Because if I am not wanted on the board, and people think I only drag it down, I don't want to be here. 

It’s not about wants Jack, we need you here brother.  The problem is you let your nerves get the best of you.  You really need to find a way to destress and clear your mind.  If that means rubbing one out in a Dollar Tree parking lot then so be it.  Consistently being this pessimistic can’t be good for your health.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, tray said:

I would have been OK with Cody Bellinger, instead of AJP for probably less than 10+5.

Frankly, if the just got a team to take over Kimbrel's 16 Mil salary that would have been a positive outcome. .

Consider if AJP  spends 50+ games on the DL the Sox can still buy him out for another 5Mil.  That's 15Mill for an POFer on a team that has a boatload of them.

Frankly at the  end of the day  ptatc was right about the priorities being misplaced. Maybe Vaughn's lawn dart dive sealed the deal with Hahn.

Never forget some posters here lwere all in on the original trade for Kimbrel.  Terrible trades can weigh down a team with older or  under-performing  players and bloated contracts .Rule #1 - Don;t trade young #1prospect for an old Closer in decline. Rule #2. Don't make stupid trades with the Cubs.

There’s pretty much zero indication we were offered Bellinger and turned him down for Pollock.

The Dodgers don’t win 8 consecutive divisions and lose the other will 105+ wins to SF without consistently making good decisions with their talent.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It’s not about wants Jack, we need you here brother.  The problem is you let your nerves get the best of you.  You really need to find a way to destress and clear your mind.  If that means rubbing one out in a Dollar Tree parking lot then so be it.  Consistently being this pessimistic can’t be good for your health.

I used to be able to enjoy my teams, even when they were bad.  I haven't been able to do that in a while. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Then he’ll end up like McGuire.  So let’s try to stay away from public spaces as a general rule.

Reading Humankind: A Hopeful History would be a good start.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Then he’ll end up like McGuire.  So let’s try to stay away from public spaces as a general rule.

Reading Humankind: A Hopeful History would be a good start.

I wish I could be hopeful but I look around me and all I see is hopeless bullshit, and a populace not willing to fight back.

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I used to be able to enjoy my teams. I haven't been able to do that in a while. 

You're gonna want to be around here if the Sox manage to win a world series. You'll definitely enjoy the team then. Plus, you owe me a beer.