Austin Meadows traded to the Tigers

maxjusttyped

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Meanwhile the world is on fire and our dear leaders are content to watch it burn. 

Then you really need to read that book.

Trust me, things are a lot worse here in China…where 95% are defending Russia and hoping for the US and Europe to dragged into a decade-long conflict.  And where we still need to do 2-3 Covid tests per week.  And haven’t been able yo travel back to see friends and family since 2019 and it will likely be the summer of 2023 for most of us here.

Imagine being a fan of the Indians…even worse, the Orioles, Pirates, D-Backs, A’s or Rockies right now.

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

I used to be able to enjoy my teams. I haven't been able to do that in a while. 

What is there not to enjoy about the Sox?  Two straight playoff appearances for the first time in our lifetimes?  Should hopefully be three in a row with this coming season.  One of the most talented young teams in all of baseball.  Franchise high payroll.  Life is good right now even if everything isn’t perfect.

I too like many of us here let the team get the best of me at times, but you got to put things into perspective.  We could be god damn Pirates or Rockies fans.  Once the season starts, I’ll happily stop whining about the subpar offseason and enjoy the great team we have in place and you should do the same.  We can always complain about Rick Hahn if his failings to add SP depth actually cost us a playoff spot or a potential bye.  Until then relax a little bit and enjoy the ride because aren’t always going to have teams this talented & fun.

• Like 2
  • Fire 2

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What is there not to enjoy about the Sox?  Two straight playoff appearances for the first time in our lifetimes?  Should hopefully be three in a row with this coming season.  One of the most talented young teams in all of baseball.  Franchise high payroll.  Life is good right now even if everything isn’t perfect.

I too like many of us here let the team get the best of me at times, but you got to put things into perspective.  We could be god damn Pirates or Rockies fans.  Once the season starts, I’ll happily stop whining about the subpar offseason and enjoy the great team we have in place and you should do the same.  We can always complain about Rick Hahn if his failings to add SP depth actually cost us a playoff spot or a potential bye.  Until then relax a little bit and enjoy the ride because aren’t always going to have teams this talented & fun.

It's not just the Sox. I've become that fan that asks the question "Does this move get my team closer to winning a championship?" and I've found that's a miserable way of being a fan. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

It's not just the Sox. I've become that fan that asks the question "Does this move get my team closer to winning a championship?" and I've found that's a miserable way of being a fan. 

It is. Enjoy sports for what they are, entertainment.  Whether they win or lose you life is still there. Stop listening to the talking heads whose livelihood depends on sucking you into believing it really matters.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

25 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Well, nearly every Sox fan should be positive/optimistic about Luis Robert and TA7.  We arguably have 6 of the top sixty players in baseball, and that doesn’t even include Cease, Kopech and Hendriks.

Surely no sane Braves fan thought they could win it all without Acuna AND Ozuna.

Only 5-10% of KU fans thought their team was still going to win at halftime. That’s the thrill and agony of sports.  Imagine being a Gonzaga fan.  Or basically any NFL football fan going through that insane postseason.  Almost no one os ever happy at the end of a season.  Just one team’s fans.  Thats why 2005 was so special, something like that will never happen again in out lifetime with the starting pitching.  Until it does. 

Edited by caulfield12
  • Fire 1

7 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

You can choose to remove the cause of said misery.  You do have a choice in this. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, ptatc said:

Wait. I thought some of the real needs were RF and backup catcher. People were screaming about how bad it was that he didn't get a RF. Now all of a sudden the real need is pitching?

You're welcome to search my posting history to see what I've said on this.

I would expect strawman arguments from *other posters, but not from an educator.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete
Thanks to Caulfield for noting the spellchecker error.

10 hours ago, ptatc said:

I believe I was the only one to suggest that and was shouted down by the masses stating that RF was the priority.

I was also saying that SP was a priority over RF. That said, Kimbrel wasn't going to bring back a SP and did bring back a RF so priorities weren't really relevant in that deal.

12 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Making half his starts in Comerica helps. 

This could be the most disappointing Sox season since 1995. I'm really nervous about the young talent the Tigers and Royals have, the Twins are no slouches and the Guardians can really pitch. This is NOT 2021. 

I hope the Sox get all kinds of competition in the division. It will keep them sharp or show they wilt under pressure.

It's hard to keep an edge wen you know you can coast to a division title without your 2 best hitters like last year.

You have to be prepared to go to war when you finally enter the playoff war. Time to play with a snarl instead of a smile.

10 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Then you really need to read that book.

Trust me, things are a lot worse here in China…where 95% are defending Russia and hoping for the US and Europe to dragged into a decade-long conflict.  And where we still need to do 2-3 Covid tests per week.  And haven’t been able yo travel back to see friends and family since 2019 and it will likely be the summer of 2023 for most of us here.

Imagine being a fan of the Indians…even worse, the Orioles, Pirates, D-Backs, A’s or Rockies right now.

FIrst of all I love this juxtaposition.

Secondly, what kind of info are you getting?  Are you less restricted because you're not a Chinese citizen?

Maybe it's age but I was in my early 20s when I started here and now I'm in my late 30s and while sports and the Sox are still important to me there are other things, like people around me dying and myself aging -- that take the edge off any given game or season.

I still care a lot but using sports as anything other than a distraction or diversion or hobby is a fool's errand.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ptatc said:

I believe I was the only one to suggest that and was shouted down by the masses stating that RF was the priority.

Oh no never feel alone on that. I wanted Rodon back pretty bad. I know plenty disagreed with it but I never felt shouted down. You disagreed with it too.

As a matter of fact I was disagreed with on just about everything concerning Rodon.

I didn't like how much he pitched early in the season.

I really harped on the fact that he would get tired and wouldn't be available to pitch his best in the playoffs.

People said he was injured and I said he was tired.

Then I wanted him to get a QO and many said Sox know him best. I trust their judgement on his arm. Or they talked about some under the table deal with Boras

If you wanted a guy with ace potential for relatively short term he always seemed like the best choice especially since he got some innings under his belt last year. Sure it's a risk with his injury history but that's why you could get a guy who pitched like Scherzer without the Scherzer contract.

1 hour ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

You're welcome to search my posting history to see what I've said on this.

I would expect strawman arguments from *other posters, but not from an educator.

Deny it all you want. It's not a strawman argument as you like to excuse when you don't like the discussion. 

When would don't like it result to obfuscation and insulting the person.

I think a lot of people viewed SP as priority and switched to RF when it all dried up.

I put up a dream-wish poll on if sox could sign one guy that offseason who would fans choose between Scherzer or Semien and scherzer won in a landslide.

11 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Ah you listen to an awful lot of Bernstein. 

This explains a lot. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bmags said:

I think a lot of people viewed SP as priority and switched to RF when it all dried up.

I put up a dream-wish poll on if sox could sign one guy that offseason who would fans choose between Scherzer or Semien and scherzer won in a landslide.

I was team RF as #1 priority all offseason.. BUT I'd vote for Scherzer there too because he's the best pitcher in baseball.  Semien isn't the best offensive player (albeit great)