Jump to content

Pujols Appreciation Thread - McGwire/Sosa of 2022?


Texsox
 Share

Recommended Posts

 

Saving baseball 2022 style.

By the end of this season he could be ninth in total hits, third in total bases and extra base hits. 

Total hits he'd be passing Willie Mays and Eddie Collins. Total bases and he's passing Bonds and Mays. Extra bases he's passing Babe Ruth and Stan Musial. 

And he's back in St. Louis. What could be better? It could be baseball's 2022 replacement for Sosa and McGwire. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dude has had negative value for like 6 straight seasons and is still right at 100 bWAR. Unreal how good he was in his prime. Also never saw a pitcher get ruined as hard as quickly as Brad Lidge after that bomb Pujols hit in 05.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

He's definitely a hall of famer, he was head and shoulders above the rest for a long time.

But man does finishing a career like this take off some luster, especially from these number milestones.

He hasn't been a positive offensive player since 2016. That's Tim Anderson's entire career ago before he was just a slightly above average player. It's been a decade since he was good, and more than that since he was Pujols. 

It's easy to say "you can't take away from what he accomplished his first 11 years" but it does absolutely take it away. Same with the sad, slow ending of Griffey. You just wish everyone could have a Posey like ending, or Beltre.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bmags said:

He's definitely a hall of famer, he was head and shoulders above the rest for a long time.

But man does finishing a career like this take off some luster, especially from these number milestones.

He hasn't been a positive offensive player since 2016. That's Tim Anderson's entire career ago before he was just a slightly above average player. It's been a decade since he was good, and more than that since he was Pujols. 

It's easy to say "you can't take away from what he accomplished his first 11 years" but it does absolutely take it away. Same with the sad, slow ending of Griffey. You just wish everyone could have a Posey like ending, or Beltre.

How dare you besmirch the memory of that throw home to save the original black out game :cool:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@bmags he has managed to stay healthy enough to continue playing. I'm applauding that now. With so many players not being able to play a full season, him playing an extra decade is remarkable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...
3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

700.

 

I was there tonight with hi8is jr. Amazing to see 699… I let the little man talk me into going to get nachos in the third inning.

So we got to hear the sound of 700 and watch it on a TV at the concession stand.

😆

It was still astoundingly awesome.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/24/2022 at 12:14 AM, hi8is said:

I was there tonight with hi8is jr. Amazing to see 699… I let the little man talk me into going to get nachos in the third inning.

So we got to hear the sound of 700 and watch it on a TV at the concession stand.

😆

It was still astoundingly awesome.

I was pissed - I was planning on going to a game on saturday and was hoping he'd get to 699 and I'd be a vulture at the next games.  Had to be electric to be there live.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I was pissed - I was planning on going to a game on saturday and was hoping he'd get to 699 and I'd be a vulture at the next games.  Had to be electric to be there live.  

Absolutely amazing stuff… my son said, “I’m going to tell my grand kids about this!”

He’s 8 mind you. 😆

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...