Great Expectations

coldwatersox

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

I watch a ton of twins baseball. All my friends are twins fans. I grew up in MN. I know folks in their FO. I know more about the Twins than most Twins fans. This is an outrageous list from ever the most optimistic Twins fan. 

Here comes a list of 78 names curated for your Twins/White Sox/random reading pleasure.

• Fire 1

48 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

Who ranks them?  My god you act as if these ranking agencies have some sort of magical predictive power.   I remember that #1 ranked White Sox farm system in 2000.   Hats off to all the smart guys.   I really can't recall the guys having Semien and his 30 WAR by 30 being considered a can't miss prospect.  2014 he was listed behind Erik Johnson and Matt Davidson.  Geniuses.  Sox have a whole lot of exciting players under 27 and then another wave at 21 and younger...which seems sensible...to all except the "look at their rankings" crowd.   As always...It takes me a few hours of writing on Soxtalk to remember why I never want to comment.   

Although they didn't nail everyone, that #1 ranked system led to a world series win 5 years later and one of the top 5 franchise win totals of that decade. They turned out pretty accurate. 

The #1 ranked system in 2017 for the White Sox turned into playoff appearances in 20/21 and a division title. 

1 hour ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

All the whining on here that the Sox never ever have gone to the playoffs two years in a row and then when we do..."big f'ing deal"????

So here's the thing about that. As rebuilds go, the general ideal progression is:

1. Team is bad on purpose
  2. Team is still bad or hovering around .500, but begins to show improvement
  3. Team is a playoff contender
  4. Team is a title contender

There's significant progress from each step to the next, and so expectations are adjusted accordingly.

As of right now, the Sox plateaued at step 3 and are currently back to step 2.

So yes, in this context, "big f'ing deal" about those 2 playoff appearances.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

That doesn't even make sense.

They'd rather light $25M combined on fire signing guys like Eaton, Harrison, Garcia and Kelly than spending that same amount of money on a quality player like Bryce Harper. 

It's basically, "I'm ok spending $25M in bad money as long as it comes off the books in 1-3 seasons" which is so dumb. 

They're afraid of long-term deals for quality players even though they're a better investment over the life of the contract than dumpster diving on an annual basis. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

They'd rather light $25M combined on fire signing guys like Eaton, Harrison, Garcia and Kelly than spending that same amount of money on a quality player like Bryce Harper. 

It's basically, "I'm ok spending $25M in bad money as long as it comes off the books in 1-3 seasons" which is so dumb. 

Dumb?  Sure.  You can easily argue that.  But cheap and wimpy?  No.  They are still spending money, you just don't like how, so you have narrowed down the definition of "spending" until find one you can get upset about.  Again.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Dumb?  Sure.  You can easily argue that.  But cheap and wimpy?  No.  They are still spending money, you just don't like how, so you have narrowed down the definition of "spending" until find one you can get upset about.  Again.

They're not cheap in total payroll but they definitely are with player contracts. Capish? 

You could also argue that they're cheap with total payroll because they're completely unwilling to go the extra mile to win a championship. See: Brantley, Michael. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

I watch a ton of twins baseball. All my friends are twins fans. I grew up in MN. I know folks in their FO. I know more about the Twins than most Twins fans. This is an outrageous list from ever the most optimistic Twins fan. 

So Abreu is better than Arraez this season, Robert is better than Buxton, Moncada and Burger are better than Urshela this season.

I’ll have some of what you’re drinking.

If you asked every major league GM to choose between Anderson and Correa, this year they’d choose Anderson but it’s not like it would be a slam dunk because Anderson has also missed time, made plenty of errors and has been the opposite of clutch.

If it was before the 2022 season started, you wouldn’t have ANY of the Twins starters ranked over Sox pitchers except for the 5th starter’s role. 

But the Giolito and Lynn of today are not the 2019-20 or even first half 2022 versions or the White Sox would be in first place right now, or at least close to it.

26 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Why can’t they be cheap but at least spending their limited money effectively like the Rays, Twins and Guardians???

There’s certainly no Mariners/Angels/Phillies/Rangers award for allocating payroll resources inefficiently.

No Sox fan goes to the ballpark feeling grateful for the 7th highest payroll in the majors because everyone in the world can see how poorly it’s distributed.

We said it the entire offseason…it’s clear we were going backwards from playoffs 2000 and first half of last season.

Nobody predicted Grandal, Moncada and Giolito being this bad…but about 75-80% of what has transpired was easily foreseeable.

Nobody thought LaRussa could be this much worse than he already was…but he didn’t have a sinking ship to fix, and that has proved to be a task well out of reach for not only TLR, but all the coaches, trainers and strength & conditioning staff.  Certainly our co-GM has been pretty much helpless.  But we feel better knowing he is hurting his hand slamming his file drawers over LaRussa in-games decisions.  Then stop bring such a pussy and fix the damn roster…do something besides casting blame somewhere else.

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

They're not cheap in total payroll but they definitely are with player contracts. Capish? 

You could also argue that they're cheap with total payroll because they're completely unwilling to go the extra mile to win a championship. See: Brantley, Michael. 

It's capiche. Or capeesh if you prefer.

On topic- you won't find too many people who rate the Twins roster above ours.

Edited by Chisoxmb35

29 minutes ago, Chisoxmb35 said:

It's capiche. Or capeesh if you prefer.

On topic- you won't find too many people who rate the Twins roster above ours.

It's the americanized version anyway, I really don't care. 

Real Italian is capisci. I should know, l speak a bit and my mom is from there. 

Forgive me for not knowing how to spell a dialect that my family doesn't speak lol. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

10 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

It's the americanized version anyway, I really don't care. 

Real Italian is capisci. I should no, i speak a bit and my mom is from there. 

Forgive me for not knowing how to spell a dialect that my family doesn't speak lol. 

The Americanized version is "I should KNOW".

• Haha 2
  • Fire 1

7 hours ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

* You can't do that...they have played near .600 baseball in 20 and 21 and made the play offs the last two years.  You can't throw out 2020 or the poor Dodgers would be the greatest team over the last 10 years without a WS.  

* Its hilarious how the narrative went "Sox will never spend money"...which I debunked on Soxtalk a dozen times...to "well they will spend money but stupidly".   It does suck that 4 of their 6 highest paid players have been injured for a big chunk of the season...but is that stupid?  

* Pollock is not a big problem.  He is a professional player.  

* Leury is a bad contract because it was $5 mill a year for three years which you could have gotten pretty much the same from Mendick for nothing.  Still it is nice that the organization is loyal to guys that have put in time.   Just sad that because of injuries I have to see stupid Leury in every game.  

• 60 games is not a "year" or season. They had one good starting pitcher available for Game 61, Keuchel in Game 62, and literally no one for Game 63. Not to mention they only played Central Division teams, all seven of which made the bogus 16 team playoffs and all seven bounced in the first round by actual quality MLB teams. And Hahn fired the Manager he just extended 63 games before, all the while taking a bow for GM of the Year for his brilliant signings of Parrot, Mazara, Keuchel and Grandal.
  • It's stupid to put all your eggs in a basket of a half dozen overpriced players on their final contract. A team like the Sox needs to draft, acquire and develop solid cost controlled players.
  • Pollock is a LF Hahn tried to pawn off as a RF, despite never playing in RF in his long career. Blew up in his face in Detroit.
  • Leury's contract is a rounding error in the $100M / year pissed away by Hahn this season on the early retirees I listed. 
Edited by South Side Hit Men

6 hours ago, tray said:

------

Bulls sign Zach Levine. Check that player contract.

I wonder whether the Sox or Bulls will be the first to land a true superstar from outside the organization…especially in free agency.

Dates back to the mid to late 90’s for both.  Belle for the Sox, the Rodman trade for the Bulls.

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

I wonder whether the Sox or Bulls will be the first to land a true superstar from outside the organization…especially in free agency.

Dates back to the mid to late 90’s for both.  Belle for the Sox, the Rodman trade for the Bulls.

And Belle was solely out of Jerry’s spite against the other owners for settling with the players.

Cut bait after two years once his tantrum subsided.

To be fair, Carlton Fisk is the first Sox free agent to fit the bill. It’s just been a long four decades since.