Rule changes voted in Friday...

Lip Man 1

48 minutes ago, ThirdGen said:

1.  Williams was one of the greatest hitters to play the game. Rules should not be established based on the skills of the top .001% of players.

2.  Williams wasn't facing pitchers that threw breaking pitches 99 mph or pitchers who have data on every pitch a batter has faced with the ability to tailor pitch selection to that data.  If reincarnated, which I recall was a goal of his, no chance he would hit anywhere near .406 against shifts in 2022.

If they sowed Ted Williams’ frozen head onto Moncada’s body and played with Yoan’s batting gloves, he’d hit .500 and average 80 HRs playing at the Sox home park.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, chw42 said:

It's great for minor league pace of play. Although I saw Keuchel pitch a month ago in AAA and he did go over the pitch clock once or twice. Some guys will definitely need to adjust, but waiting at least 30 seconds between pitches gets real old. 

I'm a big fan of the pitch clock. I just hit the NC affiliates this week and the pace of play was (obviously) notably faster and way more efficient. 

20 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

I'm a big fan of the pitch clock. I just hit the NC affiliates this week and the pace of play was (obviously) notably faster and way more efficient. 

I am also a fan of the pitch clock.  It is not entertaining to watch a pitcher gather his courage to throw another ball out and away from the hitter he is obviously afraid of.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

That might turn me off from the game.  Let's dehumanize sports as much as possible.

Thank you. I'm also leaning that way. But eventually we'll eliminate human players as well. Might be a hundred years from now, but it seems inevitable to me that virtual reality will replace sports reality. B

Some of you no doubt missed the Knights game a few weeks back where they were observing rule changes including the ball-strike calls. There is no plan to have robots call all balls and strikes. The only change would be that each batter or pitcher/catcher has one appeal during each at-bat of the ball/ strike call. Then they go to the recorded info on the previous pitch and someone decides whether the call is upheld or changed. I lack further details as to how the appeal is decided. The ruling is made quickly then the game moves on. 

53 minutes ago, pcq said:

Some of you no doubt missed the Knights game a few weeks back where they were observing rule changes including the ball-strike calls. There is no plan to have robots call all balls and strikes. The only change would be that each batter or pitcher/catcher has one appeal during each at-bat of the ball/ strike call. Then they go to the recorded info on the previous pitch and someone decides whether the call is upheld or changed. I lack further details as to how the appeal is decided. The ruling is made quickly then the game moves on. 

The last news I saw was that MLB had gotten consent from the MLB Umpires union to use automated ball/strike technology and that they were still trying to work out the bugs. You will still have a human behind the plate but he won't be charged with calling balls/strikes. He'll be used for things like out/safe calls on a play at the plate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

The last news I saw was that MLB had gotten consent from the MLB Umpires union to use automated ball/strike technology and that they were still trying to work out the bugs. You will still have a human behind the plate but he won't be charged with calling balls/strikes. He'll be used for things like out/safe calls on a play at the plate.

The way they used it in the Knight's game seemed like a minimal intrusion. As soon as there was an appeal the broadcast showed the usual strike-zone graphic with the pitch passing thru and the announcers immediately knew the result.

The best news of all of this is Manfred won't have a ghost baserunner in extras. I refuse to watch "Manfred ball".

The two pickoff limit is fucked up. It gives too much advantage to the baserunner.

The pitch clock will have a tough go. Lance Lynn is not a get the ball and throw it kinda guy.

Got nothing on the bigger bases.

The shift ban gives an advantage to the offense which helps them to score more runs which takes more time and lengthens the game time. So. Push?

The whole pitch clock/pick off thing will be fucked up.

This reminds me of NASCAR. They started fucking with rules. Then every year there were changes then things got weirder as they went. I haven't watched now for several years so I don't know if they are still fucking with things or not. Don't care.

• Fire 1

3 minutes ago, Bossanoveralls said:

The best news of all of this is Manfred won't have a ghost baserunner in extras. I refuse to watch "Manfred ball".

The two pickoff limit is fucked up. It gives too much advantage to the baserunner.

The pitch clock will have a tough go. Lance Lynn is not a get the ball and throw it kinda guy.

Got nothing on the bigger bases.

The shift ban gives an advantage to the offense which helps them to score more runs which takes more time and lengthens the game time. So. Push?

The whole pitch clock/pick off thing will be fucked up.

This reminds me of NASCAR. They started fucking with rules. Then every year there were changes then things got weirder as they went. I haven't watched now for several years so I don't know if they are still fucking with things or not. Don't care.

I do wonder if we'll start seeing more pitchouts as a result.

On 9/9/2022 at 9:43 AM, chw42 said:

It's never been more imperative to get good left handed hitters. I think you'll see guys like Gallo have their batting average shoot up 30 points. 

And yet knowing these rules were possibly coming the Sox still haven't found a way the last couple of trade deadlines to get decent LHH 's.

3 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

And yet knowing these rules were possibly coming the Sox still haven't found a way the last couple of trade deadlines to get decent LHH 's.

Historically under this ownership the Sox aren't usually proactive, they are reactive.

On 9/8/2022 at 7:29 PM, Timmy U said:

Banning the shift is ridiculous. It's going to look like the era of all those illegal defense calls in the NBA. If Tampa wants to stick 7 guys in right field, that's their right.

Ruling that a fielder has to stand where he has less chance of catching a baseball is idiocy.  And all because the LHH's refused to take advantage of all the empty space they were getting left of 2nd base. And MLB let the hitters have their way!

• Thanks 1