Roster thought exercise...

Lip Man 1

MLB rosters aren’t constructed in a vacuum. A decision on one player can have an impact on another player. A free agent signing can make keeping another player a moot point and so forth.

This is simply a “thought exercise”, nothing more but IF rosters were constructed in a vacuum these are the players I’d like to see the Sox get rid of, simply never to appear in a Sox uniform in a game again or in some cases appearing for the first time.

Again simply based on individuals I’d be curious who you’d like to see removed from the 40 man roster and sent away by any means.

Here would be my choices:

Yoan Aybar

Jason Bilous

Kyle Crick

Jake Diekman

Joe Kelly

Nicholas Padilla

Jose Ruiz

Bennett Sousa

Vince Velasquez

Yasmani Grandal

Leury Garcia

Josh Harrison

Adam Engel

Adam Haseley

Mark Payton

I also wouldn’t object to these guys either:

Aaron Bummer

Matt Foster

Kendall Graveman

A.J. Pollock

Gavin Sheets

Edited by Lip Man 1

I just went ahead and looked at the payroll for next season and it made me grab a glass of whiskey. We have 75 million dollars guaranteed to players over 32 years old for next season. I honestly feel lost as to where to even start, especially with missing out on the playoffs money.

Grandal, Leury, Graveman, Moncada need to go. Yoan is going to cost this team an arm and a leg next season and beyond. It wont happen however

Keep Pitchers: Bummer, Cease, Crick, Crochet, Cueto, Giolito, Kopech, Lambert, Lopez.

Keep Hitters: Abreu*, Mendick, Robert, Vaughn, Zavala.

* -  (Or sign within organization in another role (FO, Coach, Scouting, whatever he wants to do).

Sell Pitchers: Aybar, Banks, Bilous, Diekman, Foster, Graveman, Hendriks, Kelly, Lynn, Martin, Padilla, Ruiz, Sousa, Stiever, Velasquez

Sell Hitters: Anderson, Andrus, Burger, Engel, Garcia, Gonzalez, Grandal, Harrison, Haseley, Jimenez, Moncada, Payton, Perez, Pollock, Sheets, Sosa,

Too bad Kenny couldn't have done this to Jerry.

37 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Keep Pitchers: Bummer, Cease, Crick, Crochet, Cueto, Giolito, Kopech, Lambert, Lopez.

* -  (Or sign within organization in another role (FO, Coach, Scouting, whatever he wants to do).

Sell Pitchers: Aybar, Banks, Bilous, Diekman, Foster, Graveman, Hendriks, Kelly, Lynn, Martin, Padilla, Ruiz, Sousa, Stiever, Velasquez

Sell Hitters: Anderson, Andrus, Burger, Engel, Garcia, Gonzalez, Grandal, Harrison, Haseley, Jimenez, Moncada, Payton, Perez, Pollock, Sheets, Sosa,

They need the equivalent of the 2004-05 cycle, meaning we’ve already added Contreras/Garcia and now jettisoning Valentin, Ordonez and Carlos Lee. 

9 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

9 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I like and agree with this list except on two things. 

1. Keep Abreu but not a a player. Give him some important asst. director position of scouting for the international market. With his name and background he could be huge especially helping to recruit the top Cuban players. I really think it's time to give Vaughn the reigns to first base daily. I think his hitting will actually improve just knowing he doesn't have the pressure of playing the corner outfields. 

2. Unless the haul of prospects back for a Eloy Jimenez trade was too much to pass up, I would not want to get rid of Eloy. His potential is too great to risk seeing him explode at another team. I think we learned if he is a DH and with a strong manager and batting coach, he could be a big time HR/RBI producer. 

On 9/25/2022 at 10:55 PM, Lip Man 1 said:

MLB rosters aren’t constructed in a vacuum. A decision on one player can have an impact on another player. A free agent signing can make keeping another player a moot point and so forth.

This is simply a “thought exercise”, nothing more but IF rosters were constructed in a vacuum these are the players I’d like to see the Sox get rid of, simply never to appear in a Sox uniform in a game again or in some cases appearing for the first time.

Again simply based on individuals I’d be curious who you’d like to see removed from the 40 man roster and sent away by any means.

Yasmani Grandal

Aaron Bummer

Matt Foster

Kendall Graveman

Gavin Sheets

Foster and Sheets have options, so no reason to dump them. Gonna be nearly impossible to sign or trade for a quality catcher so might as well take a chance that Yaz rebounds. Bummer and Graveman are better than what you're going to get to replace them. No objections to the others you listed.

1 hour ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Foster and Sheets have options, so no reason to dump them. Gonna be nearly impossible to sign or trade for a quality catcher so might as well take a chance that Yaz rebounds. Bummer and Graveman are better than what you're going to get to replace them. No objections to the others you listed.

There are so few catchers in the league that provide offense these days, just get 2 cheap guys that are + defensively and allocate the $'s elsewhere.