Jim Bowden: Sox top 5 likeliest to sign judge

bmags

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Let me just say this outloud.  Whoever pays Judge $300 million is going to regret it.  This is a guy who has had a lot of problems staying healthy, and is probably a DH for a large portion of his deal.

His deal is going to be way north of 300 million more than likely. Wasn’t the Yankees offering 300+ and he was turning it down?

2 minutes ago, Vote4Pedro said:

His deal is going to be way north of 300 million more than likely. Wasn’t the Yankees offering 300+ and he was turning it down?

He turned down $200 million to start the season IIRC.

wdit: https://twitter.com/jeffpassan/status/1512451052855078924?s=46&t=7OemjzSwXtzyF0yhQHVlOQ

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Either way, it will be an instantly bad deal the day it is signed.

I will gladly take Aaron Judge through age 36 and suffer after that.

Especially because baseball is trying to figure s%*# out, so I wouldn't be shocked if the juiced ball returns.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think the Machado/Harper stuff has turned the entire fanbase into cynics. 

I don't think so.  There were still a lot of very delusional people out there these past two off-seasons (post Machado / Harper)  thinking Reinsdorf was going to go all in for free agents. 

Go see Twitter now.  People still up in arms about the projected payroll (WSD, James, others).  

8 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Hahn will low ball him and say they tried.  3yr/$100M sounds about right.  

https://twitter.com/soxmach_pnoles/status/1590734059097161728?s=46&t=BFjGE_zP8OeX4wpj_OcRew 

the Twitter embed is working about as well for me right now as you’d expect from a company that laid off half its staff but this is rather funny.

Unless the Sox have finally learned some PR - undersell the fans and press. Set expectations low - than come in and surprise.  In all honesty - way smarter than what they did the past 2-3 years where they rised off-season expectations only to sign all the relievers.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Quin said:

I will gladly take Aaron Judge through age 36 and suffer after that.

Especially because baseball is trying to figure s%*# out, so I wouldn't be shocked if the juiced ball returns.

I suspect Judge was receiving the benefit of non-humidor balls all year so the MLB could push the HR chase.  When comparing annual HR leaders vs the 2nd place guy, Judge put up a historic variance.  I did the math from 1970-2022, Judge's season represents the biggest variance in that window from HR leader to 2nd place guy, at a whopping 34.78% increase from the 2nd place batter.  Only other instance with a 30% or greater variance was 1989.  Judge is great, but something is fishy about his past season. 

• Thanks 2