Which Players do you have the most and least confidence in having a good season and staying healthy in 2023?

Jack Parkman

Which player do you have the most/least confidence in for 2023?   

61 members have voted

1. 1. Which player do you have the most confidence in for 2023?

2. 2. Which player do you have the least confidence in for 2023?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2023 at 06:00 AM

Which player do you have the most confidence in for 2023? 

Mine is Moncada because he generally plays the most games, was mostly fine from the right side in 2022 after a while and his left hand swing, which is usually his better side, was fucked all season due to the oblique injury. 

My least confident is Grandal because he's a 34 year old catcher that has leg problems. 

Only reason I didn't pick one of Giolito/Robert/Jimenez: 

I think Robert and Eloy are just perpetually injury prone

I have no idea if Giolito's body will cooperate. I trust him to put in the work to get velo back, I have no idea whether or not it will happen for him. 

162 game fWAR averages: 

Jimenez-2.6

Moncada-3.4

Grandal-5.4

Robert-4.8

If you think 120 games is more fair for Grandal, his fWAR is 4.0 in that case.

175 IP fWAR averages

Kopech-2.3

Giolito-2.7

Edited by Jack Parkman

Most is Eloy - we saw what a healthy Eloy at DH could do and it was awesome at the end of the year. Benintendi keeps him in that role. I expect this to be the year he finally establishes himself as a top bat in the AL.

Least is Grandal. I'm not a Grandal hater by any means, but the injury concern with him is very real. I have low expectations for him. I think he will be better than what we saw last year, but I do worry how much of a shell he may be of his former self.

Edited by CWSpalehoseCWS

Just now, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Most is Eloy - we saw what a healthy Eloy at DH could do and it was awesome at the end of the year. I expect this to be the year he finally establishes himself as a top bat in the AL.

Least is Grandal. I'm not a Grandal hater by any means, but the injury concern with him is very real. I have low expectations for him. I think he will be better than what we saw last year, but I do worry how much of a shell he may be of his former self.

Eloy tore his hammy running to 1B. I have to see him stay healthy for a season before having any confidence. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Eloy tore his hammy running to 1B. I have to see him stay healthy for a season before having any confidence. 

That's a freak injury though. Lots of players - both athletic and not athletic - can suffer that injury. Eloy running into the net, trying to rob a HR, running into Robert, or diving for a ball he has a 0% catch probability of making is where he becomes his own worse enemy.

5 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Most is Eloy - we saw what a healthy Eloy at DH could do and it was awesome at the end of the year. Benintendi keeps him in that role. I expect this to be the year he finally establishes himself as a top bat in the AL.

I voted the same way for the same reasons.  

2 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

That's a freak injury though. Lots of players - both athletic and not athletic - can suffer that injury. Eloy running into the net, trying to rob a HR, running into Robert, or diving for a ball he has a 0% catch probability of making is where he becomes his own worse enemy.

So was the freak injury when he tore his pec in 2021 ST. How many freak injuries is he allowed? 

• Jack Parkman changed the title to Which Players do you have the most and least confidence in having a good season and staying healthy in 2023?
1 minute ago, SoxBlanco said:

But how are you defining a good season?  Is it relative to their past performances? Or just relative to the rest of the league at their respective positions?

Returning to their career average fWAR or better. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Thanks 1

Just now, maxjusttyped said:

If Robert only plays ~100 games next season but he's the most valuable player on the team, would he be the correct answer? Or do we give guys extra credit for staying on the field even if they produce less overall value.

Extra credit for staying on the field. 

8 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

So was the freak injury when he tore his pec in 2021 ST. How many freak injuries is he allowed? 

Eloy didn't have to jump and hang from his arm on that play. He should have known better. Running to 1B is a damn requirement on the game. Do you have the same feelings towards Anderson and his hamstrings? Why isn't he on this list to vote for when he has a fair share amount of nagging injuries each and every year?

Just now, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Eloy didn't have to jump and hang from his arm on that play. He should have known better. Running to 1B is a damn requirement on the game. Do you have the same feelings towards Anderson and his hamstrings? Why isn't he on this list to vote for when he has a fair share amount of nagging injuries each and every year?

When Anderson was healthy he was good. Also Anderson hasn't had a major injury 2 seasons in a row. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

19 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

That’s an important distinction if you are basing it off of their 162 game average. I agree that’s the way to go, though. You mind posting the numbers for each in your original post?

Done. I calculated 162 game averages and 33 start averages for SP. 

I'm actually going to change the formula to 175 IP for the starters. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Done. I calculated 162 game averages and 33 start averages for SP. 

Awesome. Thank you.

It’s really tempting to choose Kopech for most confident based on those numbers.  I’m debating between him and Eloy. 

Least confident has to be Grandal based on those numbers. 

1 minute ago, SoxBlanco said:

Awesome. Thank you.

It’s really tempting to choose Kopech for most confident based on those numbers.  I’m debating between him and Eloy. 

Least confident has to be Grandal based on those numbers. 

Changed it to 175 IP numbers. Kopech was dinged by his relief pitching.