3/21 Sox vs Brewers, 3:10PM CT, Bally Sports Wisconsin

Tnetennba

13 minutes ago, fathom said:

He was missing bats to start last season also, but the change up just ended up not being nearly as effective with mediocre fastball velocity 

He gone after this year but we have Davis Martin to back him up. Their pitching depth is a tad curious but Jerry said no more quarters for the gumball machine. 

14 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Interesting question: Was he always bound to struggle or did the bout with COVID affect him? Cuz he was never the same after he got sick. I guess we'll see this year.

Still think it's more the lack of sticky stuff. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, fathom said:

I think he sacrificed the health of his shoulder by altering his mechanics so drastically a few years ago 

Possible, but I think his motion would be much different if he was constantly in pain. 

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Not saying he’s in pain, more that it just put a lot of mileage on it

That usually shows up as damage and at least discomfort. Possible though. 

I'm sure not in favor of the short arm action he used

Edited by ptatc

3 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Having a real hard time seeing both Haseley and Alberto not making this team. Sox would need to do some roster maneuvering too. Neither are on the 40-Man and they still have to add Colas.

I doubt Haseley makes the roster. Too much of a crunch and at no risk of losing him. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I doubt Haseley makes the roster. Too much of a crunch and at no risk of losing him. 

He could ask for his release and probably get it. He might get more money in Japan or get a ML contract with someone. $700,00 guaranteed has to look real good when you're about to turn 27 and its possibly his best chance after the spring he's had.

Who makes it over him that the Sox have a risk of losing or does Leury make it based on his paycheck ?

Can Romy perform the rest of the spring to earn a job when the regulars are back after the WBC ?

The season just around the corner maybe Yoan and Eloy sit a bunch because of their recent boo boos

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

He could ask for his release and probably get it. He might get more money in Japan or get a ML contract with someone. $700,00 guaranteed has to look real good when you're about to turn 27 and its possibly his best chance after the spring he's had.

Who makes it over him that the Sox have a risk of losing or does Leury make it based on his paycheck ?

Can Romy perform the rest of the spring to earn a job when the regulars are back after the WBC ?

The season just around the corner maybe Yoan and Eloy sit a bunch because of their recent boo boos

Haseley would not be granted his release to seek another ML opportunity. 

1 hour ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Do teams ever decline these requests?

To go play overseas? Not sure, but I doubt it. If he wants to go play in the KBO, I am sure Sox would oblige but likely remind him that he is important depth and not too far away from big league roster.

But the Sox aren’t going to release Haseley at his request to sign with another MLB org. That doesn’t really happen and isn’t up to Haseley. 

Edited by ChiSox59

It’s funny. Haseley, Burger, and Sheets all come from the 2017 draft. Haseley was the highest picked of the three, and he’s having the best spring. But Sox fans seem to prefer Sheets and Burger. Is it just bias? Burger hasn’t had half the spring Haseley has had, but he hits a couple of homers and a bunch of people want to make him the starting 3b. Idk. They are all probably just AAAA depth guys, but I want to see if Haseley has possibly turned a corner.

59 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

To go play overseas? Not sure, but I doubt it. If he wants to go play in the KBO, I am sure Sox with oblige but likely remind him that he’s important depth and not to far away from big league roster.

But Sox aren’t going to release Haseley at his request to sign with another MLB org. That doesn’t really happen and isn’t up to Haseley. 

He can leave when he is out of options and DFA'd and off the 40 man roster similar to Payton this offseason.  Until then he isn't going anywhere.

I say all this assuming he has options and is on the 40 man.

22 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

It’s funny. Haseley, Burger, and Sheets all come from the 2017 draft. Haseley was the highest picked of the three, and he’s having the best spring. But Sox fans seem to prefer Sheets and Burger. Is it just bias? Burger hasn’t had half the spring Haseley has had, but he hits a couple of homers and a bunch of people want to make him the starting 3b. Idk. They are all probably just AAAA depth guys, but I want to see if Haseley has possibly turned a corner.

Haseley hit .238/.305/.412 across 463 PA in a hitters paradise in Charlotte last season.  He is awful and turns 27 in a couple weeks.  The fact that he is pretty close to being the Sox 4th OF on the depth chart is just proof that the Sox really needed to sign a real 4th OF.  

Sheets has actually been a useful bat against RHP in the major leagues.  He doesn't have a position, but he at least provides something for the big league club that they sorely need.  Haseley's best asset to the Sox is that he can stand in the OF and not embarrass himself. 

24 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

He can leave when he is out of options and DFA'd and off the 40 man roster similar to Payton this offseason.  Until then he isn't going anywhere.

I say all this assuming he has options and is on the 40 man.

He has already been DFAd off the 40 man and cleared waivers.  He is in the Sox minors until he reaches MiLB free agency, which may well be after 2023. Or he gets added back to the MLB roster, gets optioned this season and DFA'd next (he has 1 option left), or gets added back and DFA'd this season to create 40 man space.  

One of the main reasons why the Sox are unlikely to put him on the OD roster is that fact that he is no longer on the 40 man.  They'd have to DFA someone else to put Haseley back on the 40 man.  But they'd also have to make 40 man space for Billy or Marisnick too if they decide to go that route.

All this rosterbation just makes me more comfortable in my projection of Seby, Sheets, Alberto and Leury bench to start the season. 

Edited by ChiSox59