“Credit White Sox Rick Hahn For Building Roster Depth In AAA Charlotte”

https://soxmachine.com/2023/05/credit-white-sox-rick-hahn-for-building-roster-depth-in-triple-a-charlotte/

By Jeff Cohen 5/8/23

Rick Hahn isn’t getting much love these days but early returns suggest he did at least one thing really well in 2023. Thanks to Hahn, the Triple-A Charlotte Knights is home to ample roster depth for his major-league squad.

• Thanks 1

The issue is and what I replied to the author was the fact that the "depth" is basically comprised of has been's, never was, injury prone, broken down stiffs.

Just warm bodies or cannon fodder as they call it in football.

Sox machine is a LOT better than this, I was shocked when I saw it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

After reading this ridiculous and false article, it's fairly clear Jeff Cohen is absolutely clueless on what a good AAA team looks like. It's either that or he was paid handsomely under the table by Rick Hahn to make his 26th ranked farm system actually look good. 

Genius Hahn has added great roster depth to Charlotte with 34 yr. old Alex Colome, 32 yr. old Bill Hamilton, 27 yr. old Adam Haseley. I didn't realize you get a good grade for adding players who previously played in MLB for several years and couldn't make any of the 30 ML rosters at the start of the season. That a boy Rick...you get a good grade and high five for adding ML rejects to Charlotte.

If you go check the current MLB top 100 prospects, it's interesting how the majority of them are between 19-23 years old. The Rays for example, who are always have one the best farm systems in baseball is ranked #6. They have five players in the top 100. Two are 19 yrs old and three are 22 yrs old. It's pretty much like that with all top ranked AA triple A teams.

Possibilities

Ignore AAA and make no moves in their roster.

Rick

Make brilliant moves that add depth and create a system that produces MLB players annually.

I believe there are two very different groups of players at work here. 

AAA prospects that don't have any MLB experience and guys who have MLB experience but their talents have diminished. 

We've seen guys get called up for the first time and struggle. A veteran like Hamilton who has been there is a better bet to not s%*# the bed at Yankee Stadium than some 21 year old without experience. 

Of course you also need to be developing talent, either to trade for MLB ready players or eventually promote them to the club. 

Great franchises manage to do both. 

The bloggers, as a group, have long held a soft-spot for Hahn. For years, they would blame KW, JR, Lauman and others, but not Hahn.  But this is ridiculous.

Yes they can provide depth for what  looks like a 70-75 win team.  

Edited by GreenSox

3 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

ChatGPT tomfoolery...he wanted to promote Peralta and Remillard the other day like it was going to immediately transform the world based on AAA numbers.  And Victor Lopez. 

Doesn't seem he understands baseball very well at all. 

Edited by caulfield12

While the article is certainly a hot take, the hot takes in this thread are borderline volcanic.

I doubt SoxMachine of all places is getting paid under the table by Rick Hahn to write fluff pieces.

And ChatGPT obviously didn't write that.

28 minutes ago, Quin said:

While the article is certainly a hot take, the hot takes in this thread are borderline volcanic.

I doubt SoxMachine of all places is getting paid under the table by Rick Hahn to write fluff pieces.

And ChatGPT obviously didn't write that.

Should we also be thanking Hahn for not resigning Jose Abreu...the tradeoff in years and money were basically cancelled out by making Benintendi into a rebuild albatross, though. 

19 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Should we also be thanking Hahn for not resigning Jose Abreu...the tradeoff in years and money were basically cancelled out by making Benintendi into a rebuild albatross, though. 

No?

Disagreeing with the hot take that is the SoxMachine article doesn't necessitate leaping head first into conspiracy.

It's just a wack take that thinks Erik Gonzalez is depth.

Just now, Quin said:

No?

Disagreeing with the hot take that is the SoxMachine article doesn't necessitate leaping head first into conspiracy.

It's just a wack take that thinks Erik Gonzalez is depth.

Well, since they have no choice but to field a AAA team...I guess the only thing that really matters is whether Charlotte ownership gets so frustrated they want to give up their affiliation agreement because the talent provided is so depressing. 

That doesn't seem likely for now... they still have those three minor league teams lumped together in the Carolinas with Birmingham just a stone's throw away. 

Of course AAA and AA are still 75-80% about marketing and promotion,  with the remaining percentage being winning baseball.

To the big league franchises... development almost always comes first over fielding playoff contending affiliates, but it does hurt on the margins if losing starts to go on year after year after year with no end in sight. 

However, Crochet, Moncada, Eloy and Liam will bring some relief though.  Seeing a rehabbing Tim Anderson, for example. 

Damn Soxtalk just ate my post. That hasn't happened in awhile. What I was saying is that although I don't know this author, Jim over the years has always wanted to "balance" his content on the Sox according to (imo of course) some antiquated idea about journalism and fairness. Jim has critiqued the Sox plenty over the years so I know he's got it in him, but he wants to be "fair" so he'll have his site publish a piece like this for "balance" even though there is nothing positive to push about the Sox right now.

This writer also writes for Futuresox and frankly he just seems to be a bit of a sunshine blower. That's fine, it's free content, but it's not anything I can agree with.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Well, since they have no choice but to field a AAA team...I guess the only thing that really matters is whether Charlotte ownership gets so frustrated they want to give up their affiliation agreement because the talent provided is so depressing. 

That doesn't seem likely for now... they still have those three minor league teams lumped together in the Carolinas with Birmingham just a stone's throw away. 

Of course AAA and AA are still 75-80% about marketing and promotion,  with the remaining percentage being winning baseball.

To the big league franchises... development almost always comes first over fielding playoff contending affiliates, but it does hurt on the margins if losing starts to go on year after year after year with no end in sight. 

However, Crochet, Moncada, Eloy and Liam will bring some relief though.  Seeing a rehabbing Tim Anderson, for example. 

If any post was written by ChatGPT, here it is.

15 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Damn Soxtalk just ate my post. That hasn't happened in awhile. What I was saying is that although I don't know this author, Jim over the years has always wanted to "balance" his content on the Sox according to (imo of course) some antiquated idea about journalism and fairness. Jim has critiqued the Sox plenty over the years so I know he's got it in him, but he wants to be "fair" so he'll have his site publish a piece like this for "balance" even though there is nothing positive to push about the Sox right now.

This writer also writes for Futuresox and frankly he just seems to be a bit of a sunshine blower. That's fine, it's free content, but it's not anything I can agree with.

If Connor McKnight was a writer... this would be the result.