KW/Hahn - They Gone

DirtySox

I am starting to get excited that a sale may be real. This does seem like the kind of "paint the house, quick renovation" stuff you do prior to one. I mean, the trying to use your fanbase as leverage to get a favorable lease and sell to get the premium from that deal is the biggest sign, but this could be another. 

If you sell it and you have this bare bones operation, it will come up.  If another franchise goes for sale, Jerry won't get a deal.

But it's always hard to get a read on this guy. This franchise has been the same for 30 years. Everything the way Getz is being treated is consistent with how firms that are about to fire all the low-level employees treat them (still respectfully and build their profile). But could also be consistent with Jerry actually really liking this nice young man who won't challenge him, and yeah you are hired.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

I don’t get the Tribune, can you give a short recap of the article.

Reinsdorf finally pulled the trigger but it was too late to matter. Sox fans got two of the three moves they wanted except for JR selling. Fans had enough losing, cancelling SoxFest, hiring TLR and dealing Burger.

Sullivan then becomes a marketing and sales expert and calls for Boyer to be fired due to attendance and for the postgame 90s and hip hop concerts. Maybe if he understood demographics, the market of how Sox fans operate and promotions he would have something better to say.

He goes on to say something he has more expertise in, communications. How the Sox won’t share much with fans and get players like TA talking and Pedro Grifol is obligated to talk but doesn’t give insights into his line of thinking. He says JR should have talked more to fans since he muted himself since the 90s.

Sullivan gives his opinion on the press statement and questions JR for not making the decision sooner, like in 2021. He wasn’t surprised by Hahn’s firing and said KW’s firing was more striking, given he was the architect of the 2005 World Series and kept Don Cooper past his expiration date.

Sullivan believes JR is looking for someone like Epstein to come in and make changes. Going out of the organization is a must. He includes a quote from Scott Harris who is the Tigers president and from the Epstein tree. The quote was about creating culture to drive the organization to success.

He then talks about the news in the context of the possibility of moving the club. He raised how there is nothing structurally wrong with the park that would make the team have to leave for a new one. The leak of a move suggests he doesn’t care, could move the team to Nashville and he won’t care about his legacy. He references the Brooklyn Dodgers leaving and the owner of that team profiting off the move. So JR’s family won’t care about moving the team out of the city of Illinois if they are to profit off of it.

Then he cites clubhouse issues, today’s news, the Burger trade and rumors about the team fleeing about how it is to be a White Sox fan.

• Thanks 1

Just now, KennyPowers said:

Why all the positivity? Jerry is still at the top. So he kicks KW and Hahn to the curb and now all of a sudden he’s going to start spending??? Sure 

Because Peter Angelos hired Mike Elias. Terrible owners can still run into good decisions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, wegner said:

Both gone. Expect to hire new person to run the show by the end of the season. Getz not fired so speculation that he is an option.

Supposedly Pedro's job is safe.

Like you I was shocked when I saw the headline. Pretty sure I had the look on my face of a dog that's heard a new sound. Immediately came here and thread was already through 2 whole pages.

Pedro is going to be the next guy’s option to fire. You better believe he’s effectively a lame duck

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vacheron said:

Pedro is going to be the next guy’s option to fire. You better believe he’s effectively a lame duck

Should be an easy decision if these guys keep playing as hard for Pedro as they have been playing for him.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

But seriously, why were these clowns allowed to trade Burger?

I really didn't want them to be able to trade people. I'm sanguine on the trade deadline moves, but would have rather all decisions be deferred to a new decision maker ESPECIALLY now that it was the case just 3 weeks later.

Yeah...Quero is probably better than what an extra million in draft budget would be. But at least the extra million goes toward whatever new philosophy this decisionmaker would want. 

3 hours ago, fathom said:

Before anyone mentions Stearns…he’s going to the Mets it appears

yeah, though I'll still make my pitch.

Here is the scenario where David Stearns goes to the white sox over the mets:

- Jerry Reinsdorf really hates cohen and his main motivation in life is just vindictiveness

Tha's my pitch.

Now if he hired me president (and I will apply, I have an excellent resume of posts documenting the problems with the org, and I am WAY better than WBSWF), I mean I would just tell stearns he can save so much by keeping his milwaukee playpen and he gets to use those private plane services (I'll plant some trees)

• Haha 4
  • Fire 2

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

I am starting to get excited that a sale may be real. This does seem like the kind of "paint the house, quick renovation" stuff you do prior to one. I mean, the trying to use your fanbase as leverage to get a favorable lease and sell to get the premium from that deal is the biggest sign, but this could be another. 

If you sell it and you have this bare bones operation, it will come up.  If another franchise goes for sale, Jerry won't get a deal.

But it's always hard to get a read on this guy. This franchise has been the same for 30 years. Everything the way Getz is being treated is consistent with how firms that are about to fire all the low-level employees treat them (still respectfully and build their profile). But could also be consistent with Jerry actually really liking this nice young man who won't challenge him, and yeah you are hired.

This is what I was just  thinking and came into this thread to post...but a few extra thoughts.

-I'm not wholly convinced Reinsdorf wants to sell. He's a 90-year-old billionaire, what does he have to gain by selling the team? What does he need a little bit of extra money for? I would imagine a dinosaur like that probably values the idea of a 'fantasy', of owning a professional baseball team, more than he does a little extra spending money. What's he going to use it for? I think if this asset is being sold, it's by his kids after he dies. 

-If this team is sold, there's a very good likelihood the team is leaving Chicago, at the very least the city limits. This is a very real possibility regardless, but it would take a stroke of luck for someone to buy the team and be loyal to the city. Because it sure isn't a good business beyond revenue sharing that could be had in any other market. That dumbass that owns the Phoenix Suns and lives on the north shore is what some fans are dreaming for, that some benevolent billionaire will buy the team and only care about winning in Chicago, but that's not a reasonable possibility. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Payroll wasn't the issue.  The issue was how it was allocated.  Firing Hahn and eventually Haber will help solve that issue. 

Can anyone articulate ONE thing Haber is rumored to be good at...except for graduating from Stanford I guess?

Getz is still WAY too inexperienced to be a GM with this imposing mountain of obstacles rising in front of him.

The biggest disadvantage is that a KC and Grifol connection works more against than for him at this point.

Edited by caulfield12

Logic is NEVER something that should be associated with the White Sox, BUT....if Jerry came to the decision Rick and Kenny were not right for this team, why would anyone associated with Rick and Kenny be? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Payroll wasn't the issue.  The issue was how it was allocated.  Firing Hahn and eventually Haber will help solve that issue. 

Are we talking strictly free agency? Can we hope for investing in the pitiful player development? 

2 minutes ago, nrockway said:

This is what I was just  thinking and came into this thread to post...but a few extra thoughts.

-I'm not wholly convinced Reinsdorf wants to sell. He's a 90-year-old billionaire, what does he have to gain by selling the team? What does he need a little bit of extra money for? I would imagine a dinosaur like that probably values the idea of a 'fantasy', of owning a professional baseball team, more than he does a little extra spending money. What's he going to use it for? I think if this asset is being sold, it's by his kids after he dies. 

-If this team is sold, there's a very good likelihood the team is leaving Chicago, at the very least the city limits. This is a very real possibility regardless, but it would take a stroke of luck for someone to buy the team and be loyal to the city. Because it sure isn't a good business beyond revenue sharing that could be had in any other market. That dumbass that owns the Phoenix Suns and lives on the north shore is what some fans are dreaming for, that some benevolent billionaire will buy the team and only care about winning in Chicago, but that's not a reasonable possibility. 

My response is this - I think Jerry likes making deals, and he's a lot better at making a deal over the sale of a franchise that includes real estate, assets, media deals, etc than running a baseball team of people who he's now completely unfamiliar with.

He starts a sale process, he suddenly has a whole bunch of people sucking up to him, he'll get to feel those last sweet breaths of power. And at what cost? his failsons getting a few less million.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

You are right.  Allocating big money for relievers and not enough for a quality everyday 2nd baseman and RF.

Ok but also acting like allocating 16% of your budget to one 5 WAR player is risky while allocating 16% of your budget to three 1-to-negative WAR players that you have to buy out immediately while also compromising your competitive window is absolutely a Reinsdorf phenomenon.

Let's not act like our 180M payrolls came with no strings attached. Hahn was an idiot, but many people forced to play in the kiddie pool like he was would look foolish.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Timmy U said:

The official statement says “single decision maker” will be in place “by the end of the season.”  That means no one who is currently under contract. That means either JR is thinking an internal candidate, or someone who is currently freeish like Epstein, Click, or, God forbid, TLR.

Late to the party here, but definitely feels like it has to be someone not tied down to another organization presently and zero chance Jerry goes with Getz or an internal given how important this hire potentially is to the value of his franchise.  As such, it has to be a former GM currently not employed.

Anyone have any ideas?

4 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Are we talking strictly free agency? Can we hope for investing in the pitiful player development? 

Can we actually allow our international group to sign the players they are allowed to sign? Is the owner going to huff and puff about how terrible it would be to sign a 16 year old to 1 million dollars, and how much more wise it will be not to sign anyone for that amount?

3 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Then Nick Madrigal is back lol.

Being a born again Christian or a member of the Fellowship of Christian athletes will be at least half the qualification for trade targets.

Moore doesn't have the time and energy to invest 100% into entirely rebuilding an organization from the bottom up.

Need someone much closer to 40 than 60.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 2