ESPN Article

WHarris1

Do you have an example of Gaston using the race card with regards to the hiring of the new Sox manager?

Do you mean JR?

If so, I don't think anyone has an example. I think he's definately trying to at least interview minority candidates but I don't have a problem with that.

I know JR is on the board of minority hirings or something like that. As long as the person is qualified and does a good job, I don't give a damn what color they are.

I happen to also believe that Gaston and Guillen are the best candidates out there, although I would of liked to see the Sox interview Grady Little.

Interesting Managerial Article

Damnit, just give Guillen the job.  Gaston doesn't give a s*** if he gets it.  Ozzie wants it!

I haven't read any of Gaston's personal comments about managing here, but Ozzie really wants this job...BAD.

CWSOX45

Because Gaston has obeyed KW's request to not speak publicly about the job opening/search. Guillen, on the other hand, has launched his own personal PR campaign.

Do you have an example of Gaston using the race card with regards to the hiring of the new Sox manager?

Another whitesox.com transfer, welcome aboard. :cheers

And to answer your question directed towards Cubkilla: no..........no there hasnt. Even if he wasnt picked for manager I'd doubt you hear anything.

Why did Gaston stop managingin 97', was he fired, did he quit, did his contract end( if so, why wasnt it renewed and why didnt he sign elsewhere)????

Can someone answer this question, cuz i was like 10 in 1997, so i have no idea what this guy i like besides what the media told me about how he is low key like Jerry Manuel.

thanks, by the way, as of right now, i do not want another Jerry Manuel as skipper. :usa

During an interview last week on the Murph Show (?), Cito stated that the criticism of his moves while he was the manager of the Blue Jays was racially motivated. I guess minority managers never make bad managerial decisions..... they're only perceived as bad because of the color of their skin. Do we really want to put up with THIS s*** the next couple of seasons?

Ozzie is looking better and better.

Why did Gaston stop managingin 97', was he fired, did he quit, did his contract end( if so, why wasnt it renewed and why didnt he sign elsewhere)????

Can someone answer this question, cuz i was like 10 in 1997, so i have no idea what this guy i like besides what the media told me about how he is low key like Jerry Manuel.

thanks, by the way, as of right now, i do not want another Jerry Manuel as skipper.  :usa

Well, heres something concerning Cito that worries me a bit. You will find the answers to your questions here, DBAH0. From Saturdays Chicago-Tribune, here if you want to read it for yourself:

Gaston, 59, won two World Series titles before being dismissed with five games left in the 1997 season.

Although Gaston had guided the Blue Jays to division titles in 1989, '91, '92 and '93, his firing was anything but a surprise.

From 1995 to '97, the Blue Jays went 206-262 under Gaston, who came under fire for a supposedly passive, "let the players play" managerial style.

On the day he parted ways with Gaston, general manager Gord Ash said: "I like to see an aggressive manager. I don't believe baseball has to be the equivalent of English afternoon tea. I like some emotion."

Gaston is regarded as a solid, unemotional Don Baylor-type. The Sox may be looking to make a bigger splash, and team officials know emotion would not be lacking in Guillen, the 39-year-old sparkplug who was infamous for getting under Frank Thomas' skin.

OK, that is precisely NOT what we need. But, then again, I am not so sure I want Ozzie in here at age 39. Somehow I believe that would create potential animosity with some fo the vets, a la Sandy and Frank.

So then, apparently IMO neither is the right choice for this team, but coincidentally it looks like one of the 2 above WILL be our manager.

I would rather Ozzie ruffling a few of the veterans than passive Cito just sittin around on his ass doin nothin and lettin Frank and the vets get what they want. I would hope this team could be turned into a bunch of scrappers e.g Twinkies who can just get the job done. I think Ozzie would do that, just look at da Marlins.

Gaston would be a good fit here if we had a bunch of guys who were self-motivated and constantly fired up. But let's be honest, if a three-toed sloth was in the clubhouse with the team and the room was on fire, the three-toed sloth would exit before a third of the current players. In other words, we have some uninspired players who loaf, and play hard when they feel like it. That crap wouldn't be tolerated by Ozzie. He may be a smaller guy in stature, but I wouldn't put it past him to put a foot up someone's ass no matter how much bigger they were. Plus, he would make the clubhouse fun, while keeping it professional.

Cito Gaston's idea of fun is probably watching his fingernails grow. I know he's an established manager, (or was about a decade ago), but the thought of having "Jerry Manuel II" doesn't excite me.

Plus, this team isn't going to generate much fanfare with their roster, so maybe having Ozzie would help with that.

I gotta tell you, at first i wanted cito for the experience and i didnt really want ozzie because of the lack of experience. To tell you the truth, i didnt really want either of them. But since it doesnt look like we have a choice, after reading numerous articles, and seeing different things online, i would much rather have ozzie, who has that fiery attitude that the sox were lacking the last few years, than cito who seems more like jerry manual in a different body. Thats just my opinion though.

tim