GM Meetings Thread: MLB Rumors and Elaborate Boras Metaphors

bmags

1 hour ago, WestEddy said:

I sure don't think Bellinger is worth an Aaron Judge deal, or even a Bryce Harper deal. He fell off a cliff for a couple of years with the Dodgers. 

He's 2 years younger than Judge was and plays a plus CF still.  He won't get the AAV that Judge did, but I venture somebody will give him 10 plus years simply because he's the best OF under 30 on the market by a mile that can actually field and hit above average. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure I buy the scarcity argument leading to higher prices. He won't get Judge money just because he's he's the top FA. Teams are pretty disciplined now. But he's still incredibly valuable. When healthy he's clearly an elite player and only by being injured at the worst time is he available.

Scott Boras is right a lot more than he's wrong when he talks about baseball economics. 

The fact of the matter is that all 30 teams could afford whatever FA they want, they just choose not to. 

If the owners want anyone else to believe otherwise, then open up the books to the players. 

Until then I believe it's just 20 owners being cheap and laughing to the bank. 

Edited by baseball_gal_aly
  • Fire 1

Just now, fathom said:

Not really, as it’s not like he’s getting paid a ton. These two rumored players are likely going to get a tiny bit less.

Then no, no one is trading for him. Everything is trending the wrong way, he's regularly hurt, he's positionless, a below average Dh, and a crappy performer at the plate. I might gamble on taking his contract on but you're getting no talent back for him.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Then no, no one is trading for him. Everything is trending the wrong way, he's regularly hurt, he's positionless, a below average Dh, and a crappy performer at the plate. I might gamble on taking his contract on but you're getting no talent back for him.

I guarantee you he has more value than that. Teams aren’t dumb, they know the Sox suck at coaching up their players.  One of the reasons Lynn had more value at the deadline is that exact reason.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

I guarantee you he has more value than that. Teams aren’t dumb, they know the Sox suck at coaching up their players.  One of the reasons Lynn had more value at the deadline is that exact reason.

Lynn had more value because there was clearly limited pitching available on the market. 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Duvall is a no brainer.  I'd love Gurriel's bat, but only if Eloy was moved, cuz where would he play?

They stuffed a 34 year AJ Pollock with about 10 innings of RF experience out there for 91 innings, I'm pretty sure the Sox think any OF can play RF, even if they've never done it before. 

2 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

Duvall? Eh...I don't get the appeal there, but Lourdes is a different story.

He had a good season, is old so he'll be cheap, and as @ChiSox59 said on my "f*** it, we'll give the appearance of competing post," he's a natural platoon for Colas, assuming Pedro doesn't ram a spear through Colas' heart.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Did you see the Colas comment by Getz the other day?  Woof

I'm assuming this?

1 minute ago, bmags said:

My opinion is that Colas sucks even if he was poorly coached. Just another lazy acquisition by our international scouting director running out his clock until retirement.

Of course I can't find the article, but I remember at one point the Astros were heavily connected to him when he still had the "Cuban Ohtani" label.

If only we had a player development staff.

• Like 1