SEA acquires Luke Raley from TB

• Sleepy Harold changed the title to SEA acquires Luke Raley from TB
20 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Caballero for Raley is sort of odd the closer I look. Maybe Haniger does more DHing and Raley starts in RF? IDK.

They also already signed Garver, who's slated to be the primary DH.

I actually wouldn't be shocked if they trade Haniger somewhere.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

4 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

They also already signed Garver, who's slated to be the primary DH.

I actually wouldn't be shocked if they trade Haniger somewhere.

Garver is the backup to Cal, and it wouldn't surprise me if they both got starts at DH. Other than dumping useful players to shed salary, I have no idea what the Mariners are doing.

3 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Garver is the backup to Cal, and it wouldn't surprise me if they both got starts at DH. Other than dumping useful players to shed salary, I have no idea what the Mariners are doing.

They're carrying 3 catchers it seems: Raleigh as the starter, Garver (mostly DH, spot catch here and there) and Seby.

3 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

They're carrying 3 catchers it seems: Raleigh as the starter, Garver (mostly DH, spot catch here and there) and Seby.

I forgot about Seby. I read that they expected Garver to be the primary backup when he signed, so I was basing it on that. I really have no idea how Seby will factor in.

Edited by Tnetennba

2 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

I forgot about Seby. I read that they expected Garver to be the primary backup when he signed, so I was basing it on that. I really have no idea how Seby will factor in.

I think he may be the primary backup, but he isn’t just going to sit on the bench. He DH’d a good amount last year. They’re mostly signing him for his bat.

20 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I think he may be the primary backup, but he isn’t just going to sit on the bench. He DH’d a good amount last year. They’re mostly signing him for his bat.

Oh no, I wasn't expecting him to. If Seby is on the roster, then Garver makes much more sense as the primary DH.

8 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Really surprised that the Rays are trading Raley, he would be good in RF for the Sox, oops I forgot, we have Gavin Sheets.

Does TB have an OF prospect coming up to take his spot?

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Does TB have an OF prospect coming up to take his spot?

They must but I’m not sure, they also traded Margot. 
They have a pretty good outfield with Arozerena in Left, Siri in Center and Josh Lowe in RF, Harold Ramirez can also sub in LF and RF,  Lowe is the guy I really wish was in RF for the Sox.

38 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Really surprised that the Rays are trading Raley, he would be good in RF for the Sox, oops I forgot, we have Gavin Sheets.

I looked at his splits and he played all over. What would you rank as his best defensive position?

On 1/5/2024 at 1:58 PM, The Mighty Mite said:

Might not be so surprising.

Had a nice season in limited AB bWar 2.5 ,29 year old ,big guy may not have much time left in the OF as big as he is combined with his age. I haven't looked at his sprint speed but just guessing he's going to slow down pretty soon and be primarily a 1st basement .

TB just doing what TB does . Made sure they had Palacios and DeLuca 1st. Trading Raley probably was well thought out in advance. Sold high before he hit 30 and starts to slow down and losses his OF versatility.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

On 1/6/2024 at 6:12 AM, Timmy U said:

Probably.

Palacios via trade from StL.

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/rays

Ledbetter Auer Jones second tier prospects #8-13.

Junior Caminero...#1 former Guardians prospect

https://www.cleveland.com/guardians/2023/10/guardians-see-bad-trades-magnified-as-ex-cleveland-prospects-flourish-for-other-clubs.html

Edited by caulfield12

On 1/5/2024 at 2:37 PM, Tnetennba said:

Caballero for Raley is sort of odd the closer I look. Maybe Haniger does more DHing and Raley starts in RF? IDK.

Would it be surprising if Caballero turns into a stud?  The Rays seem to always make these moves for hidden gems.