Yarial Rodriguez to Blue Jays

11 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

That’s not even that much for a reliever anymore. Sox should have been involved here.

Exactly what I was going to say.  The Sox gave Graveman a 3-year, $24 million dollar contract.  This is just another year tacked onto that deal.  Hope for the best that he can stick as a starter.  If he can’t hang on as a starter, his deal wouldn’t be that much worse than Graveman’s.

11 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Exactly what I was going to say.  The Sox gave Graveman a 3-year, $24 million dollar contract.  This is just another year tacked onto that deal.  Hope for the best that he can stick as a starter.  If he can’t hang on as a starter, his deal wouldn’t be that much worse than Graveman’s.

Kinda like the deal Jordan Hicks signed too. If he fails as a starter, his deal isn’t bad for a high-end reliever.

12 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

A team in the Sox current position don’t need long term, high-priced relievers. When the Sox signed Graveman they were in a totally different state.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

A team in the Sox current position don’t need long term, high-priced relievers. When the Sox signed Graveman they were in a totally different state.

A 27 year old potential starter would be worth the gamble for $8 million per year for 4 years.  If he pans out as a starter, you have some serious trade bait.  If he doesn’t, oh well, you have a higher priced reliever for a few years.  Also, Getz wouldn’t be able to pay two awful players in future years like Maldonado ($4.25 million) and Nicky Lopez ($4.3 million) more combined salary.  The Sox won’t get a thing for these two guys and their $8.5+ million dollars.

The Sox have been wasting millions of dollars each offseason on washed-up vets.  Time to try a new strategy.  Why not throw some of those wasted millions at a guy that might actually have some upside?

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1
  • Fire 1

11 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

A 27 year old potential starter would be worth the gamble for $8 million per year for 4 years.  If he pans out as a starter, you have some serious trade bait.  If he doesn’t, oh well, you have a higher priced reliever for a few years.  Also, Getz wouldn’t be able to pay two awful players in future years like Maldonado ($4.25 million) and Nicky Lopez ($4.3 million) more combined salary.  The Sox won’t get a thing for these two guys and their $8.5+ million dollars.

The Sox have been wasting millions of dollars each offseason on washed-up vets.  Time to try a new strategy.  Why not throw some of those wasted millions at a guy that might actually have some upside?

Maybe Getz is under orders not to spend real money on unproven talent? IDK.  

Just now, Tnetennba said:

Maybe Getz is under orders not to spend real money on unproven talent? IDK.  

I’m not sure either, but how long does “proven talent” last until it’s proven to be over-the-hill and bad?  Because I think Getz is past that point with at least three of his acquisitions this offseason.  Sure, it’s $10+ million spread out among three players, but if they all suck in 2024, it’s still a waste of $10+ million that could’ve gone to one promising player with a future.

DeJong

Lopez

Maldonado

23 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

The Sox literally don't view him as a starter.

2 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I’m not sure either, but how long does “proven talent” last until it’s proven to be over-the-hill and bad?  Because I think Getz is past that point with at least three of his acquisitions this offseason.  Sure, it’s $10+ million spread out among three players, but if they all suck in 2024, it’s still a waste of $10+ million that could’ve gone to one promising player with a future.

DeJong

Lopez

Maldonado

JR never seemed to have a problem with Hahn burning gobs of money on the fringes, as long as they were low dollar short term expenditures. 4/$32 is pretty cheap for most orgs, but that's still $8M per for 4 years for an unproven player for an owner that hates long term deals for pitching. All of the guys you mention are completely washed and are total wastes of money IMO. I'm grasping at straws to find the logic too.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Yes.

Y2Jimmy0 isn't making s%*# up.

I guess I didn’t word my previous post very well.  I’m not saying Jimmy is making anything up.  But just because the Sox view him as a reliever doesn’t mean they are correct in their assessment.  Meanwhile, the Jays front office thinks he can be a starter.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I’m not saying Jimmy is making anything up.  But just because the Sox view him as a reliever doesn’t mean they are correct in their assessment.  Meanwhile, the Jays front office thinks he can be a starter.

When was the last time the White Sox got it RIGHT on a young starting pitcher?

They invested a lot in Norge Vera, for example.

Eder will continue to be closely watched...and the results of the last 2-3 drafts on the pitching side as they climb the organizational ladder.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Eder will continue to be closely watched...and the results of the last 2-3 drafts on the pitching side as they climb the organizational ladder.

Schultz looks impressive 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Schultz looks impressive 

IF IF IF he can stay healthy.

Hopefully they turn out right or this rebuild will be dead before it even gets started...because JR will never authorize a Jon Lester kick start the competitive window move.

40 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Vera was 1/20th the investment and almost 10 years younger, but sure.  Totally the same.

59 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

JR never seemed to have a problem with Hahn burning gobs of money on the fringes, as long as they were low dollar short term expenditures. 4/$32 is pretty cheap for most orgs, but that's still $8M per for 4 years for an unproven player for an owner that hates long term deals for pitching. All of the guys you mention are completely washed and are total wastes of money IMO. I'm grasping at straws to find the logic too.

If anyone else thought he was going to be a decent starter, he gets 9 figures at a minimum.  This is Eric Fedde money.  This is 7th inning reliever money.  As desperate for pitch as MLB is, the market has definitely spoken.

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Vera was 1/20th the investment and almost 10 years younger, but sure.  Totally the same.

Who did they hype for two full years as the future savior of the rotation?

Ohtani was a lot less than Rodriguez too and he was slightly more hyped lol.

So if it wasn't Vera....who was supposed to be the #1 pitching prospect to at some point reinforce the Sox rotation???

Surely not Crochet.

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If anyone else thought he was going to be a decent starter, he gets 9 figures at a minimum.  This is Eric Fedde money.  This is 7th inning reliever money.  As desperate for pitch as MLB is, the market has definitely spoken.

Nobody thought Alexei Ramirez or HaSeong Kim would amount to anything much.  Tigers and White Sox 1B were supposed to be drafting generational hitters. Andruw Jones's son was once on a HoF trajectory.  Most MLB teams were not that excited about Jose Abreu or opined he wasn't as good as their own veterans.

Remember when the market spoke conclusively about Fulmer over Buehler?

The consensus is right...until it's wrong and then everyone hides behind safety in those crowds of wrong assessments.

See Mike Trout.

7 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Who did they hype for two full years as the future savior of the rotation?

Ohtani was a lot less than Rodriguez too and he was slightly more hyped lol.

So if it wasn't Vera....who was supposed to be the #1 pitching prospect to at some point reinforce the Sox rotation???

Surely not Crochet.

Hahahaha what?