ST Thread

pcq

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don't think it is that likely just because he'd need to be added to the 40 man, likely along with 4-5 other NRIs. 

Do what you gotta do to have the best team on the field

18 minutes ago, Boopa1219 said:

Do what you gotta do to have the best team on the field

That would be a terrible strategy in 2024.  You need to keep as much talent in the system as possible, not win 65 games instead of 62.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

That would be a terrible strategy in 2024.  You need to keep as much talent in the system as possible, not win 65 games instead of 62.

I don't disagree with that but I'm sure there's someone who they could bump from the 40 man

3 minutes ago, Boopa1219 said:

I don't disagree with that but I'm sure there's someone who they could bump from the 40 man

Everybody says this, but you cut one middling relief arm, and the crowd wails for weeks. 

• Paper Bag 1

2 hours ago, WestEddy said:

It's not his throwing shoulder. Why do White Sox injuries make you so gleeful?

Not gleeful at all just continuing to point out how bass akward this entire organization is.

Hell just last week I posted the link to the story that said they were finally adding people to conduct areas like sleep and nutrition schedules which other clubs have been doing for years already.

There is light at the end of the tunnel though, sooner or later new ownership will arrive on the scene and the Sox can finally move into the 21st century. 

2 hours ago, WestEddy said:

Actually, I've experienced Mr. Liptak going all the way back to Tribune chat boards on AOL, mid to late 90's. Dude's consistent. 

I am...same as this team's ownership. 😜

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WestEddy said:

Actually, I've experienced Mr. Liptak going all the way back to Tribune chat boards on AOL, mid to late 90's. Dude's consistent. 

Was a Dark Cloud on WSI. He stopped posting here for a while but returned.

I’ve very really seen positive posts on players beyond those who played decades ago. Can’t understand following a team and players I mostly did not like for decades.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I’ve very really seen positive posts on players beyond those who played decades ago. Can’t understand following a team and players I mostly did not like for decades.

The negativity isn't "informing" anybody of anything. It's just irritating, as I think Liptak has interesting things to say, even about this ownership group, the way they conduct themselves in certain situations, and all. To me, stomping on a thread with "the team will never change while Jerry's alive" is more about being resentful that others might be deriving joy from something that died inside the grumps long ago. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Was a Dark Cloud on WSI. He stopped posting here for a while but returned.

As I've explained before I was born and raised on the South Side, my family were fans, my earliest memories involve this franchise and I'm loyal.

But again as I've stated UNQUESTIONED loyalty to anything, a government, a sports franchise, a religion...you name it is dangerous. 

As a fan for 63 previous seasons, I feel I've earned the right to rip them a new one when deserved (and since 2007 season this franchise has deserved to be shredded)

16 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

The negativity isn't "informing" anybody of anything. It's just irritating, as I think Liptak has interesting things to say, even about this ownership group, the way they conduct themselves in certain situations, and all. To me, stomping on a thread with "the team will never change while Jerry's alive" is more about being resentful that others might be deriving joy from something that died inside the grumps long ago. 

So tell me West, is that bolded statement wrong?

If so I'm willing to listen to your arguments as to why I should feel differently.

I can promise you one thing, if this season goes as many are predicting, by Memorial Day, my posts will seem tame compared to others.  

19 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

The sad truth is that the biggest and most important day in White Sox history will be when Reinsdorf is no longer owner, regardless of how it happens.  It will be more important than any win, trade, or free agent signing.

Just now, WhiteSox2023 said:

The sad truth is that the biggest and most important day in White Sox history will be when Reinsdorf is no longer owner, regardless of how it happens.  It will be more important than any win, trade, or free agent signing.

I can't say it will be the most important ever in the history of the franchise but it will offer a significant chance to change the direction and fortunes of the franchise on and off the field. 

The thing is when JR and EE took over they actually acted like they were trying to win, remember the Sox signed or traded for two good players each of the first three seasons, Fisk, Luzinski, Paciorek, Kemp, Cruz and Bannister. There was real optimism for the fan base and around the city. The "New Look" White Sox had arrived.

Then JR for some reason decided winning was too expensive and instead focused his considerable attentions on trying to limit salaries in baseball and break the MLBPA. 

Just now, Lip Man 1 said:

So tell me West, is that bolded statement wrong?

If so I'm willing to listen to your arguments as to why I should feel differently.

I can promise you one thing, if this season goes as many are predicting, by Memorial Day, my posts will seem tame compared to others.  

Yeah. I feel that Getz's approach is significantly different from the KW/Hahn show. They had 16 winning records in 23 seasons from 1990 to 2012. Is that the same as the Hahn years, or is it different? 

I don't care if you feel differently, or not. I don't even care if you keep posting the same negative inaccuracies, tying a mild bout of shoulder discomfort to an historic short-coming of the Sox. It's irritating, and it's not Jerry Reinsdorf's fault. I'm not sure what you think you're informing people of that didn't stick the previous 900 times you posted it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

13 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I feel I've earned the right to rip them a new one when deserved

You seem to feel that the sun coming up is a reason to rip Sox ownership a new one. Unquestioned negativity is as bad as unquestioned loyalty. It's a flip side of the same coin. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, WestEddy said:

Everybody says this, but you cut one middling relief arm, and the crowd wails for weeks. 

I don’t believe this. There were definitely cuttable arms.  No one would’ve missed Scholtens before he needed TJ surgery and there’s still 32 year old Tanner Banks on the 40-man roster.

8 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Of course it will be. I'm not loyal to Jerry Reinsdorf. I'm loyal to me. The guy who likes to watch a baseball team put together the team's roster in Spring Training, and takes interest in the numerous comeback, trade, development and success subplots. I get tired of being told I'm stupid, a sheep, a yes-man or sadly deluded because I don't click the like button on or agree with the 10,000th diatribe that says the same, unimaginative nonsense. 

Reinsdorf came in and spent like everybody wanted. Then he didn't. A new owner will come in and spend like everybody wants. Then he won't. Because he's a baseball owner. 

• Like 1

Just now, WestEddy said:

Yeah. I feel that Getz's approach is significantly different from the KW/Hahn show. They had 16 winning records in 23 seasons from 1990 to 2012. Is that the same as the Hahn years, or is it different? 

I don't care if you feel differently, or not. I don't even care if you keep posting the same negative inaccuracies, tying a mild bout of shoulder discomfort to an historic short-coming of the Sox. It's irritating, and it's not Jerry Reinsdorf's fault. I'm not sure what you think you're informing people of that didn't stick the previous 900 times you posted it. 

Actually between 1990 and 2012 they only had 15 winning seasons. Since 2007 through the past year they have had five, with 11 losing ones and a .500 season.

It all comes down to ownership... he hires the department heads who then hire the lower level individuals. The Sox medical, training and conditioning staffs have been behind the curve for a long time and the numbers bear that out. So yes bad hiring practices eventually leads to bad results including injuries.

But just one example, this is from my November 2022 story on the state of the Sox from when I spoke with six sources all connected to the team in various ways:

“Alan Thomas (Author’s Note: Thomas was the Director of Strength and Conditioning) was let go because his son was draft eligible and he was told the Sox no longer wanted to draft sons of members of the organization. Turns out his kid is playing center field for the Diamondbacks. I’m not saying he’d be playing center field for us but he’s good enough to be in the Major Leagues. I don’t know the new guy they brought in, but guys are getting hurt left and right.” (Author’s Note: I had heard Thomas disagreed with the results of the Sox injury study conducted last winter which was never released to the media or public. I was told he felt the Sox issues were only caused by the COVID restrictions. “The Sox play checkers where others teams play chess” when it comes to injury prevention, conditioning, nutrition, sleep schedules is a phrase I had heard mentioned.)

“The White Sox playing shorthanded started in 2007 when Jermaine Dye got hurt and Kenny Williams refused to call up Brian Anderson or Ryan Sweeney. Maybe they were cheap, maybe they wanted to protect Herm’s record of keeping guys off the DL.” (Author’s Note: Herm Schneider was the Sox longtime head trainer and for years the Sox were among the league leaders in keeping players healthy.) 

“Jake Peavy made the comment one time, ‘They have no reservations about playing shorthanded.”

“You know about Mike Reinold right? (Author’s Note: Reinold is the White Sox Senior Medical Advisor) He was fired by the Red Sox because he was injecting players with Toradol.” (Author’s Note: Bleacher Report had a story on this situation published in February 2013. Here is the link to that story: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1530943-ex-red-sox-trainer-mike-reinold-injected-players-with-controversial-substance) 

“Given the inordinate amount of soft-tissue injuries they have had you’d think that they would do a complete change in the training, conditioning and nutritional areas.”

I guess West if I irritate you so much (and that is not my intent) you always have ignore options I believe. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WestEddy said:

Of course it will be. I'm not loyal to Jerry Reinsdorf. I'm loyal to me. The guy who likes to watch a baseball team put together the team's roster in Spring Training, and takes interest in the numerous comeback, trade, development and success subplots. I get tired of being told I'm stupid, a sheep, a yes-man or sadly deluded because I don't click the like button on or agree with the 10,000th diatribe that says the same, unimaginative nonsense. 

Reinsdorf came in and spent like everybody wanted. Then he didn't. A new owner will come in and spend like everybody wants. Then he won't. Because he's a baseball owner. 

I may be wrong but I don't think anyone has called you the first three adjectives. The fourth one I'll keep my opinion to myself. 

10 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

You seem to feel that the sun coming up is a reason to rip Sox ownership a new one. Unquestioned negativity is as bad as unquestioned loyalty. It's a flip side of the same coin. 

These two things aren’t weighted equally.  We have seen many more years of bad baseball than good to serve as evidence that no one should be loyal to JR.  And JR has provided more awful years of ownership than good ones to promote fan negativity over positivity.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

These two things aren’t weighted equally.  We have way more years of evidence to not be loyal to JR and JR has provided many more awful years of ownership and losing to promote the negativity.

Very true, just last week he actually had the gall to blame Sox fans for not showing up to watch bad baseball as a reason they won't spend on top free agents. He is an extremely intelligent guy and it's hard to think he actually believes some of the things he says. 

10 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I guess West if I irritate you so much (and that is not my intent) you always have ignore options I believe. 

I don't want to ignore, because you're a very good, informative and engaging writer. (But you know that.) When you start posting gratuitous, inaccurate, angry things, it's like changing TV channels, and seeing something gross, or whatnot. Keep doing it. I don't care. I try to take whatever feedback about how irritating or mean or trollish I get. Do it or don't.