ST Thread

pcq

At this point, I don't care that the team is going to suck.  This has been a long-ass winter, and I'm ready for baseball.  Up until the past few years, I didn't pay much attention to spring training.  Now that the Sox have some potentially exciting prospects, it will be interesting to follow what goes on in ST.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, hogan873 said:

At this point, I don't care that the team is going to suck.  This has been a long-ass winter, and I'm ready for baseball.  Up until the past few years, I didn't pay much attention to spring training.  Now that the Sox have some potentially exciting prospects, it will be interesting to follow what goes on in ST.

It’s kind of relieving that there are zero expectations. Even the losses, they can’t pick earlier than 10 next year so you don’t even have to stress on that side of things either. Literally just watch baseball and hope to see improvement and prospects succeed.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Nice to see four more games covered via WhiteSox.com. Looking forward to Spring Training more so than the past three years, since I was able to attend in what ultimately became a worthless exercise in March 2020.

I think I will enjoy ST more than the season while learning about the new guys. I might not follow the season as much this year. This org is fairly dysfunctional. Getz is ho hum and likely has little financial authority. JR has become Cornelius Mack. 

• Fire 2

On 2/8/2024 at 9:10 AM, hogan873 said:

I know it's considered blasphemy but because of all the bad decisions of the Sox since the ill advised tank I think I'll follow the Sox and Cubs this year. Aren't the Cubs considered a .500 team? I've been a Sox fan through thick and thin for decades and have no idea who is on the Cub roster. We'll see how it goes but it's time to become a fair weather fan regarding the Sox, If I buy MLB I think I'll follow both teams and continue to check in on the Royals.

Sox have made minimal changes since last season and I fully expect the injuries to our 'good players' to continue. I doubt that's been addressed.

Can you imagine? If a total die hard like me feels this way, what about others in Chicago? There have to be a lot of Sox fans who have given up until the team proves it is worthy of following at all.

Play ball!

Edited by greg775
  • Like 1
  • TLR 1
  • Paper Bag 1

On 2/8/2024 at 10:55 AM, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

It’s kind of relieving that there are zero expectations. Even the losses, they can’t pick earlier than 10 next year so you don’t even have to stress on that side of things either. Literally just watch baseball and hope to see improvement and prospects succeed.

That will last about a month, at most. By the middle of May almost all of us will be sick and tired of this team, especially given that they can't tank for a draft pick.

• Like 3
  • TLR 1

2 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

That will last about a month, at most. By the middle of May almost all of us will be sick and tired of this team, especially given that they can't tank for a draft pick.

They tanked for three years to close out the 2010s to save $150M in payroll, not to gain higher draft choices. Tanking in 2023-2025, perhaps through 2029, is once again to save $50M + in payroll each season.

Their two solid picks the past decade were after their two best previous seasons (#22 Montgomery & #26 Noah Schultz). They pissed away their draft picks when they were highest, based both on incompetence and not even giving a s%*# what they did with these players (Burger, Madrigal, Crochet, Vaughn).

Tanking in MLB doesn’t mean the same thing as in the other three sports. It means up to 20-22 MLB owners each season will not attempt to compete whatsoever to maximize profit.

Between guaranteed MLB shared profits and league revenue and guaranteed carriage fees for RSN owners, all owners need are 26 humans wearing copyrighted laundry to guarantee large ROI, far more than if they park it in the stock market.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I was listening to Rex Hudler interview in my car. He was talking about how the usually pathetic Royals will win the division. His point was KC picked up some pitching in the off season and behind the pitchers will be a left side of the infield that defensively "won't let anything on the ground get through." He claims Massey has a good to great glove at second. Sal Perez and some other guy will share first so I question Hudler on the right side of the infield. Anyhow he claims KC is loaded with good nuff pitching and great defense and will win the division.

I wish I could hear an optimistic interview about the Sox chances. However, the team figures to reek defensively again (doesn't Beni have a weak arm? And the new RF guy is what 5-foot-6? To go with the fantastic but oft-injured Robert). If Eloy plays first he'll be a sieve there. And we let TA walk even though nobody else appears to want him and Sox could sign him cheap.

Only optimism for our Sox would be if TA was back and had a career year to go with breakout years from Moncada, Eloy, Robert and Vaughn. Sox have some old guy at catcher and are weak defensively at SS. I don't even think we have a second baseman. First base will be a sieve again.

Oh well, are u all sick of me? Should I shut up once and for all?

Edited by greg775
  • Hawk 1
  • Paper Bag 1

9 hours ago, greg775 said:

I was listening to Rex Hudler interview in my car. He was talking about how the usually pathetic Royals will win the division. His point was KC picked up some pitching in the off season and behind the pitchers will be a left side of the infield that defensively "won't let anything on the ground get through." He claims Massey has a good to great glove at second. Sal Perez and some other guy will share first so I question Hudler on the right side of the infield. Anyhow he claims KC is loaded with good nuff pitching and great defense and will win the division.

I wish I could hear an optimistic interview about the Sox chances. However, the team figures to reek defensively again (doesn't Beni have a weak arm? And the new RF guy is what 5-foot-6? To go with the fantastic but oft-injured Robert). If Eloy plays first he'll be a sieve there. And we let TA walk even though nobody else appears to want him and Sox could sign him cheap.

Only optimism for our Sox would be if TA was back and had a career year to go with breakout years from Moncada, Eloy, Robert and Vaughn. Sox have some old guy at catcher and are weak defensively at SS. I don't even think we have a second baseman. First base will be a sieve again.

Oh well, are u all sick of me? Should I shut up once and for all?

Nicky Lopez at second, DeJong at SS for now.

6 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Nicky Lopez at second, DeJong at SS for now.

Has to be the worst up the middle trio (counting catcher) in Sox history. I mean, cmon. I'm including offense and defense. Then if/when Robert gets hurt another substandard CF.

Was reading an article on DeJong, made me want to find a bong.    "An All-Star for the Cardinals in 2019, DeJong slashed just .207/.258/.355 (.612 OPS) last season. Over the past three seasons, he has a .192/.265/.353 (.618 OPS) line in 302 games."

Sox are not only gonna be abysmal, they are gonna have some older guys who can't play anymore. I'd bring back Elvis.

We remind me of an independent league team in some ways; "DeJong, 30, spent time with three teams last season. He began the year with the Cardinals -- the only team he had played for since debuting in 2017 -- before being traded to the Blue Jays at the Trade Deadline. Toronto released DeJong three weeks later, and while he signed with the Giants on Aug. 23, he was released less than a month later."

Edited by greg775

2 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Here's a good line in that story, lol.      "

Nobody really does believe in the Sox coming off a 61-101 season. They went into rebuild mode without calling it that — adding no high-impact players to a reduced payroll this offseason — traded their most valued relief pitchers and put their staff ace on the block. According to Baseball Prospectus’ widely respected PECOTA projections, the Sox are one of three teams with a 0.0% chance of making the postseason, along with the Rockies and Nationals.

• Haha 1

This team likely will be terrible, but I'm not holding it against players put in a bad situation. Most of the new guys seem like decent individuals (it's worse to be bad and a fuckface) and some of the younger dudes could be mildly interesting. Mike Soroka has done nothing to earn my scorn. Either has Dominic Fletcher. Might as well give them a chance.....because even when a shitty baseball season is over, I miss it.

• Like 3
  • Fire 1

4 hours ago, greg775 said:

Has to be the worst up the middle trio (counting catcher) in Sox history. I mean, cmon. I'm including offense and defense. Then if/when Robert gets hurt another substandard CF.

You underestimate how bad this franchise has been over time. Even if Robert Jr. is traded before Opening Day, it would be a challenge to crack the Top 10.

Projected 2024 fWAR: 7.3 (3.0 replacing Luis Robert Jr. with 0.0)

White-Sox-24.png

Combined Team fWAR (C, 2B, SS and CF) in White Sox History (Ranked Lowest to Highest):

fWAR Year (# of games played)

Bottom Ten 

1. -6.7 1934 (153) 54-99-1
  2. -3.2 1931 (156) 56-97-3
  3. -2.3 1972 (154) 87-87
  4. -1.6 1973 (162) 77-85
  5. -0.3 2007 (162) 72-90
  6. 1.3 1929 (152) 59-93
  7. 1.7 1938 (149) 65-83-1
  8. 2.0 1944 (154) 71-83
  9. 2.7 1999 (162) 75-86-1
  10. 2.7 1910 (156) 68-85-3

Top Ten

1. 19.8 1959 (156) 94-60-2 American League Pennant
  2. 18.6 1905 (158) 92-60-6
  3. 17.8 1915 (155) 93-61-1
  4. 17.7 1920 (154) 96-58
  5. 17.2 1957 (155) 90-64-1
  6. 16.9 2004 (162) 83-79
  7. 16.2 1965 (162) 95-67
  8. 16.1 1955 (155) 91-63-1
  9. 15.7 1958 (155) 82-72-1
  10. 15.6 1919 (140) 88-52 American League Pennant

38 minutes ago, ptatc said:

In a contract year I'm taking the over. 

Normally I'd agree but with his back and apparently no surgery (which granted is usually a last resort in backs) having been done, it can go out at any time.

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Normally I'd agree but with his back and apparently no surgery (which granted is usually a last resort in backs) having been done, it can go out at any time.

Possible but with the incentive of the next contract something tells me his back won't be as much of an issue. 

• Like 1