3/1/24 Game Thread White Sox at Chicago N. L. 2:05PM CST; Radio: ESPN1000 & TV: (Cubs Only - Marquee),

Just now, almagest said:

I don't know man. This guy had electric stuff before TJS. This is like a different pitcher.

His stuff never really carried over to big league games.  We never saw the 99-100 as a starter.

Just now, fathom said:

His stuff never really carried over to big league games.  We never saw the 99-100 as a starter.

I remember him sitting 98-99 before he got hurt, but I don't know how true that memory is.

3 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

An example of why WAR is a joke, expecially concerning 1st basemen. Before the Covid year,  Abreu with over 100 RBIs had a War of like 2.9, and Yolmer Sanchez had a War of like 2.6. 

The next year, the White Sox cut Yolmar to start the season and Abreu went on to win AL MVP.  Abreu's value to the Sox was only a 1/3 of a run more than Yolmer?? What a joke!

I don't think it's a joke but I think the positional adjustment is a little wonky and needs to be contextualized. like yeah, it's harder to replace a shortstop than it is to replace a first baseman's productionbut guys accumulate WAR just by playing at "premium" positions even if they're practically useless. WAR for catchers and first baseman should be rethought, catcher WAR is especially absurd depending on if you like Fangraphs' or Baseball-Reference's calculation. I think Fangraphs gives way too much weight to framing, Yasmani Grandal has literally double the WAR by the Fangraphs calculation and looks like a borderline Hall of Famer. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, almagest said:

I remember him sitting 98-99 before he got hurt, but I don't know how true that memory is.

He was brushing 100 before he blew out his arm for sure 

• Like 2

Just now, Kyyle23 said:

He was brushing 100 before he blew out his arm for sure 

In the minors, absolutely (hot gun?). You have to wonder if his elbow was beginning to give a few starts earlier.

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

In the minors, absolutely (hot gun?). You have to wonder if his elbow was beginning to give a few starts earlier.

His first start in the big leagues (although adrenaline might've played a factor for sure) he hit 100+ a few times and had incredible spin.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

His first start in the big leagues (although adrenaline might've played a factor for sure) he hit 100+ a few times and had incredible spin.

Yep, 96.8 avg fastball but the best spin in the majors 

2 minutes ago, almagest said:

Fletcher looks bad against lefties

Colas might be able to be successful at the MLB level with work.

Don’t think Sheets or Fletcher will ever cross that threshold.

Pedro better hope they aren’t airing his pants with his chubby after Pillar’s double.

Sox score on some crappy Cubs defense plus a sac fly and aforementioned double.

23 minutes ago, almagest said:

I seem to remember him being upper 90s in his debut. Sadly the lengthy rain delay cut his day short and he was shut down a start or two later.