Ohtani's interpreter fired for stealing money

• 2 weeks later...

So Ohtani's interpreter stole money from him and is a degenerate. I stand by what I said a few pages back...unless it's proven Ohtani was making bets on baseball, very little reason for any of us to really care about this story and it's long term impact on really anything. 

While I'm glad this is seemingly over and that Ohtani is innocent, it still doesn't make total sense to me for 2 reasons:

1) Ippei won ~140M and lost ~180M but only stole 16M from Ohtani. For someone who didn't make remotely enough for those debts, where did the rest come from? 

2) How did a likely team of financial advisors & CPA's miss 16M being taken? They didn't balance the statements, whether they were monthly or annually?

Edited by soxfan49

1 hour ago, soxfan49 said:

While I'm glad this is seemingly over and that Ohtani is innocent, it still doesn't make total sense to me for 2 reasons:

1) Ippei won ~140M and lost ~180M but only stole 16M from Ohtani. For someone who didn't make remotely enough for those debts, where did the rest come from? 

2) How did a likely team of financial advisors & CPA's miss 16M being taken? They didn't balance the statements, whether they were monthly or annually?

I don’t really get that part either 

The crazy part is the agent never once directly spoke to Ohtani...always through the interpreter.

They tried to get tax information about the account/s (for gift or interest income purposes) but were repeatedly rebuffed, apparently.

Makes one wonder who even came up with the tax deferral structure for the 2024 and beyond contract...was it the agent, interpreter (that would go directly against his interests in feeding those accounts THIS year with Ohtani salary disbursements), the Dodgers maintained this tax strategy came directly from the Ohtani camp.

All of the salary coming from the Angels (something like $47 million) from his rookie year through last season went into this singular account...and when access got temporarily blocked, the interpreter knew everything about Ohtani's personal life to get through the bank sequence of personal questions to get the account access/ability to disburse money UNblocked.

Insane...and that the interpreter also impersonated Ohtani in calls to the bank as well.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

The crazy part is the agent never once directly spoke to Ohtani...always through the interpreter.

They tried to get tax information about the account/s (for gift or interest income purposes) but were repeatedly rebuffed, apparently.

Makes one wonder who even came up with the tax deferral structure for the 2024 and beyond contract...was it the agent, interpreter (that would go directly against his interests in feeding those accounts THIS year with Ohtani salary disbursements), the Dodgers maintained this tax strategy came directly from the Ohtani camp.

All of the salary coming from the Angels (something like $47 million) from his rookie year through last season went into this singular account...and when access got temporarily blocked, the interpreter knew everything about Ohtani's personal life to get through the bank sequence of personal questions to get the account access/ability to disburse money UNblocked.

Insane...and that the interpreter also impersonated Ohtani in calls to the bank as well.

I think I read Dave Roberts was happy he could finally speak with Ohtani once Ippei got canned because prior to that everything was done through Ippei