Fan since 1993

Man I loved this team 1993 to about 2007.  I still really liked it 2007 to 2013.  I started getting frustrated 2013 to 2019.  Optimism in 2020.  Started to dislike strongly in 2022.  Absolutely can't stand this team anymore.  This is by far the worst team I've ever witnessed in all of baseball.   The fact that they blew it with the 2020 core and turned into an absolute embarrassment is sickening.  We even got Steve stone to call games , he's got to be embarrassed as well.  Midseason or day 1 off-season Getz , Grifol , entire coaching staff , Talent evaluators , Trainers, Moncada , Eloy all need fired.  Start over.  Build a core and rebuild for a few years.  That is all.  Maybe I'll start watching again.  This team and manager are an absolute joke.

• Like 1
  • Paper Bag 1

1 hour ago, YonderLaroche said:

Man I loved this team 1993 to about 2007.  I still really liked it 2007 to 2013.  I started getting frustrated 2013 to 2019.  Optimism in 2020.  Started to dislike strongly in 2022.  Absolutely can't stand this team anymore.  This is by far the worst team I've ever witnessed in all of baseball.   The fact that they blew it with the 2020 core and turned into an absolute embarrassment is sickening.  We even got Steve stone to call games , he's got to be embarrassed as well.  Midseason or day 1 off-season Getz , Grifol , entire coaching staff , Talent evaluators , Trainers, Moncada , Eloy all need fired.  Start over.  Build a core and rebuild for a few years.  That is all.  Maybe I'll start watching again.  This team and manager are an absolute joke.

It starts at the top with the worst owner in MLB.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Somehow not even the worst (Oakland).

We can’t even suck with distinction.

• Haha 1
  • Paper Bag 1

Just now, The Mighty Mite said:

Yeah I agree to a point.  He did ok in 90s thru early 2000s Atleast the management was competent.   Although there was still issues.  Rock hahn was a complete clown.  Ventura/Grifol clowns.  Larussa past his prime.  If we kept that guy from the cubs and Cooper probably done  better in 2021-2023.  Gm sucked ass with bad draft picks , free agent signings , and trades.  Should have been all in on Bryce Harper.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, YonderLaroche said:

Yeah I agree to a point.  He did ok in 90s thru early 2000s Atleast the management was competent.   Although there was still issues.  Rock hahn was a complete clown.  Ventura/Grifol clowns.  Larussa past his prime.  If we kept that guy from the cubs and Cooper probably done  better in 2021-2023.  Gm sucked ass with bad draft picks , free agent signings , and trades.  Should have been all in on Bryce Harper.

90s and 2000s were a different era.

the game has passed Jerry by, but he refuses to change. He has to do it “his” way, which may have accidentally worked in the 2000s, but not today.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, JoeC said:

90s and 2000s were a different era.

the game has passed Jerry by, but he refuses to change. He has to do it “his” way, which may have accidentally worked in the 2000s, but not today.

Yeah Alot has to do with inflated salaries which I agree with are too high but he needs to spend SMART.  Hahn did a lot of dumpster spending to fill the roster because the lack of young developing talent.  You can spend 100 million on 3 or 4 superstars and win if you spend 100 million on 22 more guys wisely through development and scouting.  I get sick seeing Moncadas salary but they refused to spend on a superstar for 5-10 million more per year.  We are paying 10 million plus to players not even on the roster this year 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, YonderLaroche said:

Yeah Alot has to do with inflated salaries which I agree with are too high but he needs to spend SMART.  Hahn did a lot of dumpster spending to fill the roster because the lack of young developing talent.  You can spend 100 million on 3 or 4 superstars and win if you spend 100 million on 22 more guys wisely through development and scouting.  I get sick seeing Moncadas salary but they refused to spend on a superstar for 5-10 million more per year.  We are paying 10 million plus to players not even on the roster this year 

Not just spending on players, but more so spending on player development.

The Sox have had no discernible strategy when it comes to player development. Smart organizations like the Guardians, Dodgers, Braves, and Orioles consistently develop players because a) they create development plans for their players; b) they tend to acquire guys whose characteristics fall into these strategies; and c) follow through on these development plans.

JR sees the farm as just a warehouse, when it should be seen as a factory.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I remember when Mark Gonzales was covering the Sox he had a story and I think I got the details right, from 2007-2012 the Sox spent the least amount of money on the minor league system in all of baseball.

That pretty much says it all.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, YonderLaroche said:

This is what blows my mind. They're okay giving money to guys that don't even contribute to wins. So many guys have been dropped from the roster due to underperformance and were still getting paid (Leury, Kuechel, and there's more), or are always injured (Yoan, Robert, Eloy) and still getting paid, or are still on the roster and contributing nothing and still getting paid handsomely (Benintendi, Grandal for a few years, etc). Money could have been spent so much better and wisely. 

Edited by ScootsMcGoots
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I remember when Mark Gonzales was covering the Sox he had a story and I think I got the details right, from 2007-2012 the Sox spent the least amount of money on the minor league system in all of baseball.

That pretty much says it all.

No surprise there, JR hates spending on potential.

Reinsdorf refuses to acknowledge that there are people on a major league payroll that don't wear a jersey number who are worth paying millions of dollars. 

Just because they don't throw, catch, or hit baseballs doesn't make them unimportant to the success of a team.  This is the biggest issue with Jerry Reinsdorf:  He refuses to pay competitive salaries to the people behind the scenes that have built successful teams/minor league systems.

He'd rather promote from within, promote from a cast of existing failures who wouldn't have a job on 29 other teams.

When was the last time the Sox have hired an ex Rays/Dodgers/Cardinals/O's scout or exec.  Now name the last time he saved money by hiring ex Royal's castoffs

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, joejoesox said:

Reinsdorf refuses to acknowledge that there are people on a major league payroll that don't wear a jersey number who are worth paying millions of dollars. 

Just because they don't throw, catch, or hit baseballs doesn't make them unimportant to the success of a team.  This is the biggest issue with Jerry Reinsdorf:  He refuses to pay competitive salaries to the people behind the scenes that have built successful teams/minor league systems.

He'd rather promote from within, promote from a cast of existing failures who wouldn't have a job on 29 other teams.

When was the last time the Sox have hired an ex Rays/Dodgers/Cardinals/O's scout or exec.  Now name the last time he saved money by hiring ex Royal's castoffs

I think the cost of that approach is an obvious deterrent for JR, but another reason he hasn't/won't go that route is because it would mean that he would have to do something...different! *gasp*

And that would require, you know, actual work. 

4 hours ago, ScootsMcGoots said:

This is what blows my mind. They're okay giving money to guys that don't even contribute to wins. So many guys have been dropped from the roster due to underperformance and were still getting paid (Leury, Kuechel, and there's more), or are always injured (Yoan, Robert, Eloy) and still getting paid, or are still on the roster and contributing nothing and still getting paid handsomely (Benintendi, Grandal for a few years, etc). Money could have been spent so much better and wisely. 

Do any of you know someone in your personal life who is extremely cheap? It’s like a disease. They put so much effort into acquiring their money and keeping it that when they’ve reached the point of being able to spend some of it to enjoy themselves or better their life, they just can’t let it go.

That’s how I view JR. He could spend a little bit more money in the right spots (scouting, analytics, etc.) and improve his product exponentially which will lead to more revenue. He simply can’t bring himself to let go of that money.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, YonderLaroche said:

Looks Moncada is done for the year.  I'm predicting 120 losses.  Hopefully they don't rush anyone up to join a losing culture.  Need a fresh start in 2025 and hope for #1 draft pick 

They can only pick as high as #10 in the draft due to the new draft rules.

• Paper Bag 1

18 hours ago, YonderLaroche said:

Funny we got on the players who make good money yet a losing Sox team is worth two billion for just existing. 

42 minutes ago, YonderLaroche said:

Looks Moncada is done for the year.  I'm predicting 120 losses.  Hopefully they don't rush anyone up to join a losing culture.  Need a fresh start in 2025 and hope for #1 draft pick 

It wouldnt surprise me that they become a better hitting team with Sosa, Colas , Lee and Sheets. Despite 90% of the fans calling for Sheets head he's been the one of the few hitters performing well .Tied with Moncada for the team lead with 5 walks, leading team in OBP. Him and Korey Lee have been the top hitters. Sheets might as well play every day at 1st or DH.

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It wouldnt surprise me that they become a better hitting team with Sosa, Colas , Lee and Sheets. Despite 90% of the fans calling for Sheets head he's been the one of the few hitters performing well .Tied with Moncada for the team lead with 5 walks, leading team in OBP. Him and Korey Lee have been the top hitters. Sheets might as well play every day at 1st or DH.

Yeah, I couldn’t disagree more with those guys being better than Eloy and Yoan

18 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yeah, I couldn’t disagree more with those guys being better than Eloy and Yoan

Never said they were better I said it wouldn't surprise me they hit better than they have been so far.

Why should Vaughn and Maldonado keep getting ABs ? Vaughn should play against LHP. Sheets against RHP. Lee should play as much as possible over both Stassi and Maldonado. Do you think Colas is worse than Sheets in RF or is a worse hitter than Pillar or Fletcher  ? They will miss Moncada's fielding and some of his OBP or hitting but its not like he was a great slugger. He's good for around a .420 slugging percentage. Of course they will miss the fielding and hitting of Robert but pre injury Robert wasnt exactly tearing the cover off the ball except for 1 game. Over an extended period  it might all equal out or slightly better or worse but better than what had already transpired. They already have a head start with the win yesterday.

Maybe you were impressed with the 1-9 start. Didnt seem like it from your comments in game threads.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

19 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Never said they were better I said it wouldn't surprise me they hit better than they have been so far.

Why should Vaughn and Maldonado keep getting ABs ? Vaughn should play against LHP. Sheets against RHP. Lee should play as much as possible over both Stassi and Maldonado. Do you think Colas is worse than Sheets in RF or is a worse hitter than Pillar or Fletcher  ? They will miss Moncada's fielding and some of his OBP or hitting but its not like he was a great slugger. He's good for around a .420 slugging percentage. Of course they will miss the fielding and hitting of Robert but pre injury Robert wasnt exactly tearing the cover off the ball except for 1 game. Over an extended period  it might all equal out or slightly better or worse but better than what had already transpired. They already have a head start with the win yesterday.

Maybe you were impressed with the 1-9 start. Didnt seem like it from your comments in game threads.

You keep Vaughn in the lineup, if you aren’t sending him down, to give him a chance to prove he should get tendered.  You are talking about some incredibly small sample sizes.  And yes, Colás might be worse than Fletcher.

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yeah, uhhh, no.  Just give it time, and not much at all.

18 minutes ago, fathom said:

You keep Vaughn in the lineup, if you aren’t sending him down, to give him a chance to prove he should get tendered.  You are talking about some incredibly small sample sizes.  And yes, Colás might be worse than Fletcher.

The incredibly small sample sizes have been the only good results so far. Eloy sucked in his small sample size then got hurt. Vaughns small sample size was bad. Fletchers bad.  Maldonado bad, Pillar bad, Maldonado and Stassi bad. Some one has to play CF . Who is that going to be most of the time Pillar, Fletcher or Colas ? Who's going to DH against RH and LHP ? Just start mixing and matching against the pitching and PH late in games. If you want to keep Vaughn , OK, sure but he has to step up and do something besides hit into DP and  hit and field terribly.

Availability is a huge part of ability and and even with them they went 1 and 9.  You can keep Fletcher and Colas in most of the time in the same OF against RHP and work in Pillar and Grossman. Sosa and Colas may provide a bit more pop maybe not I'm willing to find out rather than playing Grossman and Pillar. If SHeets stops hitting against RHP pitching playing DH then pick another option.