Dylan Cease says last year with White Sox 'wasn't enjoyable in really any way'

Posted (edited)

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/dylan-cease-says-last-white-011411123.html

With Cease pitching for the Padres, the White Sox dropped 22 of their first 25 games this season.

“Baseball's one of those games where anything can happen, and funky things can happen,” Cease said. “For all we know, they'll go on a nice little win streak and kind of even that out. But yeah, it's a little bit surprising.”

Cease has made a smooth transition to his new surroundings. He is 4-2 with a 2.55 ERA in seven starts this season. He also has 48 strikeouts in 42 1/3 innings, looking more like the pitcher he was two years ago.

Cease said his good numbers so far are the result of adjustments he started making last year.

“Basically just figuring out how to stay closed,” he said. “I feel like, for me anyways, the most difficult thing for pitching is staying closed because it is such a rotational movement."

…..

“I still think that in the minds of a lot of people we had a really good chance to compete,” Cease said. “I think we feel like we had a good chance to compete and we just didn’t put it together. We had a really bad year and it obviously kind of led to the need to kind of redo everything.”

Edited by caulfield12

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

With Cease pitching for the Padres, the White Sox dropped 22 of their first 25 games this season.

“Baseball's one of those games where anything can happen, and funky things can happen,” Cease said. “For all we know, they'll go on a nice little win streak and kind of even that out. But yeah, it's a little bit surprising.”

Cease has made a smooth transition to his new surroundings. He is 4-2 with a 2.55 ERA in seven starts this season. He also has 48 strikeouts in 42 1/3 innings, looking more like the pitcher he was two years ago.

Cease said his good numbers so far are the result of adjustments he started making last year.

“Basically just figuring out how to stay closed,” he said. “I feel like, for me anyways, the most difficult thing for pitching is staying closed because it is such a rotational movement."

…..

“I still think that in the minds of a lot of people we had a really good chance to compete,” Cease said. “I think we feel like we had a good chance to compete and we just didn’t put it together. We had a really bad year and it obviously kind of led to the need to kind of redo everything.”

He needs to look in the mirror, he was part of the problem last year.

He’s being nice if he thinks the 2024 White Sox are going to go on a nice winning streak, the 3 they won in a row from the Rays was a miracle. 

As this abomination of a season continues the more I hate Reinsdork and what he has done to our franchise.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 5
  • Fire 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

He’s being nice if he thinks the 2024 White Sox are going to go on a nice winning streak, the 3 they won in a row from the Rays was a miracle. 

As this abomination of a season continues the more I hate what Reinsdork has done to our franchise.

Also, when guys like Lucas Giolito and Casas got hurt for Boston…their new GM just didn’t throw in the towel or give up on the Red Sox 2024 season despite the overall strength of that division.

(The funny part was Romy Gonzalez eliminated himself in basically one game.)

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/aggressive-red-sox-arent-waiting-151329418.html

PS:  Please trade Benintendi for Yoshida!!!  Change of scenery for both guys.  And Sox defense is already abysmal anyway, minus the middle infield.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

I always assumed his bad season was largely in part to him just going through the motions to get that terrible season over with. This kind of confirms it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, T R U said:

I always assumed his bad season was largely in part to him just going through the motions to get that terrible season over with. This kind of confirms it.

I wouldn’t say the season was bad largely in part because of him.  He was disappointing for sure but once the wheels fell off in April the entire team was going through the motions and our fearless leader couldn’t come up with the right media quote to make it better 

• Like 4
  • Fire 1

5 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

I thought he was tacitly acknowledging that, as he didn’t separate himself from  the “we” having a very bad year.. 

3 hours ago, T R U said:

I find that hard to believe just because of the individual/team nature of baseball. No matter how bad your team is, you can still go out win your own at bats and make your plays. I think he just had a stinker of a season under some bad coaching, rather than just mailing it in

No s%*#? I take his comments at face value. The team wasn't expected by most tuned in folks to win 90 games, but they came out and went what like 3-14 right off the bat to end any chance of a 85-88 win season even before school let out for the summer. From that point on it was pretty much just a death march with an in over his head manager, poor performances, general dysfunction and so on.

• Like 1
  • Paper Bag 1

5 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

No s%*#? I take his comments at face value. The team wasn't expected by most tuned in folks to win 90 games, but they came out and went what like 3-14 right off the bat to end any chance of a 85-88 win season even before school let out for the summer. From that point on it was pretty much just a death march with an in over his head manager, poor performances, general dysfunction and so on.

It was the year of taking incoming shots organizationally...pretty much from all directions.

More ex and current players sniping than any year but Drake/Eaton/Sale/LaRoche Gate.

Solid deadline for once...almost shocking dismissals of the two headed GM but then Sox were somehow left stuck with JR, Grifol and Getz still, so hard to see that as a net positive even.

13 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

As this abomination of a season continues the more I hate Reinsdork and what he has done to our franchise.

Well, that's what he said and what the quote derives from. "I was bad and the team was bad and being bad isn't much fun". I don't think there's anything to read into here unlike the Lance, Middleton, Kelly remarks (actual knuckleheads). I wouldn't blame him for being upset anyway, being dicked around in trade rumors all summer while still doing promos as the "Sox's ace". Yeah it's "part of the business", but it has to be tough. Still he's had ample opportunity to express his displeasure publicly and he's only ever criticized himself.  Cease was one of the good attitude guys on this team, and the other non-cancerous pitchers on the team seemingly respected him as a leader and as someone to emulate. I don't think he's "taking shots" by any stretch of the imagination so much as he's giving a say-nothing diplomatic response about a situation that the pretty much every baseball fan is curious about: "what the f*** happened to you guys?" 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

You know at least Jerry unless he's incredibly stupid or shielded from negativity knows nobody gives a bleep about the 2005 title anymore. That is not his legacy in Chicago. His legacy is Michael Jordan and the Bulls (granted that's a feather for him) but also the woebegone Chicago White Sox. And the more our team loses the more he has to own his failure as a baseball owner. Yes Chicago fans will always be happy about the Bulls but his legacy now is mixed because of his totally gutting a franchise in MLB and pretty much disrespecting a sport and city by putting a Minor League team on the field.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, hogan873 said:

If he thought last year was bad, he'd be beyond miserable this year.

He'd look behind him and see Lopez and DeJong and say to himself, my gawd I can hit better than those two.

On 5/8/2024 at 1:20 AM, greg775 said:

He'd look behind him and see Lopez and DeJong and say to himself, my gawd I can hit better than those two.

And DeJong is one of the better hitters on this team...and leads the team in HRs. 😂

On 5/7/2024 at 6:18 AM, caulfield12 said:

…..

Sox this season do  not have a stopper like Cease so it is hard to go on a winning streak or avoid losing streaks. IMO.  Cease did a number  without Vaseline to the Cubs yesterday , with a combined 1 hit shutout and 12Ks.  Hope we got a worthwhile return for him from the Padres.

On 5/8/2024 at 2:19 AM, greg775 said:

You know at least Jerry unless he's incredibly stupid or shielded from negativity knows nobody gives a bleep about the 2005 title anymore. That is not his legacy in Chicago. His legacy is Michael Jordan and the Bulls (granted that's a feather for him) but also the woebegone Chicago White Sox. And the more our team loses the more he has to own his failure as a baseball owner. Yes Chicago fans will always be happy about the Bulls but his legacy now is mixed because of his totally gutting a franchise in MLB and pretty much disrespecting a sport and city by putting a Minor League team on the field.

You are right. JR is pretty much destroying the Sox brand.  It is not cool anymore to wear a Sox cap. IMO.