14 hours ago14 hr There's so many ways they can go with this. It's not unrealistic to see all these guys deserving some role in it:Taylor, Smith, Fedde, Kay, Burke, Martin, Sandlin, Shane Smith, Thorpe. I'd be thinking smart to sign a FA, of which there are a good number this year, and then trade from depth -- maybe even for prospects -- refresh the system a bit. Fedde is a FA but I'd imagine he's keen to stay on. Newcomb I think they let walk as they can't really justify him if he's not starting. But I dunno, there's an argument at the right price. We'll see how it shakes out, certainly looks intriquing, if not proven. And if they add a nice FA arm, potentially a very good staff.
14 hours ago14 hr Feels like Taylor is too much of a multi inning weapon now pretty much anywhere from the sixth inning on.Will see how his arm rebounds after these two lengthy appearances...hopefully they don't need him until WED, but would be awful tempting for Venable to use him again if they get another lead on Mon.If this opener strategy works at least through CLE to reach the ALCS, it's likely going to become their niche, and just not certain if it stands up over 162 games with Hagen and Taylor throwing as much as they are...Perhaps they follow the Padres' model and add the elite reliever and then work backwards from there to shorten the game.Let's say signing Morejon, for example.Wouldn't JR rather bring in 2-3 elite bullpen arms and pay them $30-35 million combined than one Skubal at $40+?Is this also a place where Ishbia might get involved to put them over the top? No idea! Edited 13 hours ago13 hr by caulfield12
13 hours ago13 hr Assuming there is a season the Sox need two dependable starting pitchers.I can't see the continuing use of openers as a long term successful philosophy. It simply puts to much strain on a bullpen. And it doesn't work all the time.Get two guys to go with Burke and Martin and have one of the kids check in at #5. Edited 13 hours ago13 hr by Lip Man 1
10 hours ago10 hr Getz will still be hyping Castillo as being in the best shape of his lifetime coming into ST.
10 hours ago10 hr Gotta get 800 innings from 7 'starters.' Meaning the five opening starters and two other qho fill in for injuries. If they were in this situation and the pen was less burnt, it would be great. Would also like to have one real starter for playoffs.
10 hours ago10 hr Hopefully, a deep playoff run forces ownership to spend on a good starter, a good closer, and a good right handed bat.
10 hours ago10 hr 3 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:Assuming there is a season the Sox need two dependable starting pitchers.I can't see the continuing use of openers as a long term successful philosophy. It simply puts to much strain on a bullpen. And it doesn't work all the time.Get two guys to go with Burke and Martin and have one of the kids check in at #5.I think you have at least 3/5 or an acceptable rotation in Burke, Martin, and Kay. Maybe you get Fedde back next year to be the 5th starter, but you really can't count on Castillo next year so they need to at least spend some money on a middle of the rotation option in free agency.
10 hours ago10 hr 3 minutes ago, chw42 said:I think you have at least 3/5 or an acceptable rotation in Burke, Martin, and Kay. Maybe you get Fedde back next year to be the 5th starter, but you really can't count on Castillo next year so they need to at least spend some money on a middle of the rotation option in free agency.I don't think Fedde will break the bank so I'd bring him back.Not a starter, but I think Newcomb will cost too much to retain.That money being spent on Castillo is annoying as hell
9 hours ago9 hr They’ll trade for a young starter from their infield depth in the minors and sign a FA. Probably hope Billy Carlson has a good first half and deal him this deadline.
9 hours ago9 hr 4 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:There's so many ways they can go with this. It's not unrealistic to see all these guys deserving some role in it:Taylor, Smith, Fedde, Kay, Burke, Martin, Sandlin, Shane Smith, Thorpe. I'd be thinking smart to sign a FA, of which there are a good number this year, and then trade from depth -- maybe even for prospects -- refresh the system a bit.Fedde is a FA but I'd imagine he's keen to stay on. Newcomb I think they let walk as they can't really justify him if he's not starting. But I dunno, there's an argument at the right price. We'll see how it shakes out, certainly looks intriquing, if not proven. And if they add a nice FA arm, potentially a very good staff.Schultz could be in the mix also.
9 hours ago9 hr You need guys that can go 6+ innings in the regular season. Can't rely on openers all year long (and the Sox didn't, but they used them when necessary). But when it comes to the playoffs even the best pitchers will get pulled early unless they are completely dominating. The opener works in a playoff series, but if the Sox had 2 guys (or 3) that could be relied to go 5 or 6 innings in a playoff series they'd take that. The playoffs are a much much smaller sample size of games and matchups can be played more in the playoffs. You still have to get through the grind of the season and you can't rely on openers and whatnot for 162 games.
8 hours ago8 hr 1 hour ago, chw42 said:Hopefully, a deep playoff run forces ownership to spend on a good starter, a good closer, and a good right handed bat.Dream on.......Dream away .....
8 hours ago8 hr 46 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:Schultz could be in the mix also.Pretty much has to be in the mix...
8 hours ago8 hr Schulz and Hagen have to be in the mix. Taylor will probably be a middle guy, but I don’t know if he sticks around for that.MartinSchulzSmithKayCastillo
8 hours ago8 hr 5 minutes ago, nitetrain8601 said:Schulz and Hagen have to be in the mix. Taylor will probably be a middle guy, but I don’t know if he sticks around for that.MartinSchulzSmithKayCastilloBurke???where else can Grant Taylor go except for the official closer's role? Edited 8 hours ago8 hr by caulfield12
7 hours ago7 hr 50 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:Burke???where else can Grant Taylor go except for the official closer's role?A different team
7 hours ago7 hr Taylor should be the ace of the rotation next year.They could trade for a young pitcher; but the prices are usually inflated. No rents; no Phillies castoffs - none of that sort of thing.
3 hours ago3 hr I was going to make a post about this after the post season but Grant Taylor is pitching/has pitched his way into the rotation. He’ll probably be on the 2024 Crochet plan and have his innings monitored carefully. Hagen probably takes Taylor’s high leverage role in the pen.The Sox need to sign AT LEAST one starter, ideally someone who can slot in at the TOR, a proven innings eater to help insulate the rotation and the bullpen. I also think they should get a proven closer as well.Rotation is probably Burke/Martin/Schultz/Taylor+Castillo/FASandlin moving into the rotation wouldn’t surprise me. The team should keep employing the opener, but they do need proven inning eaters.
1 hour ago1 hr 1 hour ago, Boopa1219 said:I was going to make a post about this after the post season but Grant Taylor is pitching/has pitched his way into the rotation. He’ll probably be on the 2024 Crochet plan and have his innings monitored carefully. Hagen probably takes Taylor’s high leverage role in the pen.The Sox need to sign AT LEAST one starter, ideally someone who can slot in at the TOR, a proven innings eater to help insulate the rotation and the bullpen. I also think they should get a proven closer as well.Rotation is probably Burke/Martin/Schultz/Taylor+Castillo/FASandlin moving into the rotation wouldn’t surprise me.The team should keep employing the opener, but they do need proven inning eaters.Most likely. It would be a let down. Not a deal breaker for fans. However this would not be cool. There are too many known unknowns for me, with a team that should legitimately be expected to contend for a World Series championship. They should aggressively put a big dog on the staff by any means necessary in place of one of those names. Edited 1 hour ago1 hr by Chick Mercedes
40 minutes ago40 min 2 hours ago, Boopa1219 said:I was going to make a post about this after the post season but Grant Taylor is pitching/has pitched his way into the rotation. He’ll probably be on the 2024 Crochet plan and have his innings monitored carefully. Hagen probably takes Taylor’s high leverage role in the pen.The Sox need to sign AT LEAST one starter, ideally someone who can slot in at the TOR, a proven innings eater to help insulate the rotation and the bullpen. I also think they should get a proven closer as well.Rotation is probably Burke/Martin/Schultz/Taylor+Castillo/FASandlin moving into the rotation wouldn’t surprise me.The team should keep employing the opener, but they do need proven inning eaters.I think you nailed it for now until unforeseen circumstances develop.
9 minutes ago9 min 8 hours ago, nitetrain8601 said:Schulz and Hagen have to be in the mix. Taylor will probably be a middle guy, but I don’t know if he sticks around for that.MartinSchulzSmithKayCastilloThis might be the worst post I've read in a while.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.