Sully & Stairs To the Royals...

LostInBoston

Outfielder Matt Stairs will join his fourth team in as many seasons after signing a one-year contract with the Kansas City Royals on Tuesday.

Terms of the deal were not revealed, but Stairs made $900,000 with the Pittsburgh Pirates last season.

The Royals on Tuesday also signed reliever Scott Sullivan, who posted a combined 6-0 record with a 3.66 ERA with the Cincinnati Reds and Chicago White Sox last season.

ugh....

Oh s***, the Royals just got a hell of a lot better. Sully will be a huge acquistion. To go with Grimsley they are now looking to have a bit better of a pen.

Geeze it sucks when the Twins and Royals are out there bettering themselves (Well Twins haven't necessarily made themselves better, but they have kept some of their guys and I think they will add a player or two).

Think positive.

we can still sign Paniagua, Alfonseca and Parque

Don't forget Sirotka might want to come back. He would fit in the money scheme of things for the Sox... peanuts to play ball.

If the Royals could sign Sullivan I can't understand why we couldn't have made a decent offer. The Royals claim they are broke also.

Come on you can't expect us to complete with big cities like Kansas City

:fyou

I promised my self I wouldn't use the :fyou until next season but

From me to you JR

Colon :fyou

Alomar :fyou

Sully :fyou

Everette :fyou

Uribe :huh:

and just to be the first one, 1 year in advance for

Mark :fyou :fyou

Look up Maddux to Braves for a f***ing history lesson in Chicago teams pissing away a great pitcher.

This is why we can't trust these f***s to rebuild. They'll just piss away our players.

Oh, and may I be the first to wish everyone a Merry Christmas :D

Yeah, I still hate KW.  He could at least zero in on certain people, and make them good offers.

Did you read that we made a 3 year 36 million offer to Colon or did you conveniently let it slide?

Did you read that we made an offer to Alomar and tried to avoid arbitration with Sully until the last weekend?

Did you read that we made a 3 year 36 million offer to Colon or did you conveniently let it slide?

Did you read that we made an offer to Alomar and tried to avoid arbitration with Sully until the last weekend?

But they ain't getting the job done. Anybody could make offers. getting it done is making offers that sign players.

This is really puzzling.

How did we get Sully in the first place? I forget. Did we give up prospects?

To not sign Sully and lose him to the Royals is kind of depressing even though he didn't pitch worth a s*** for us.

He was a god, small g, in cincy and players cried the day he was dealt.

I mean what are we doin?

Signing Sullivan might have been a smart thing to do unless we feel he's lost it.

This offseason is moderately depressing, especially when Big Hurt had his career year (his 30s career year) last season.

I can't understand why we couldn't afford to keep Sully, yet the KC Royals could affoed to sign him. Does KW has something else in mind? Was it just a matter of he thinks his available dollars could be spent elsewhere more effectively. We don't have the whole story here, folks. Let's wait and see what happens before we all blow our stacks.

Did YOU read that the "offer" we made to Alomar was an insult, and essentially was KW going back on an oral agreement made between the two of them before the end of the season?

When KW pressed Robbie about coming back early on, Robbie initially said he could see himself coming back for 4 $million – basically a 50%+ pay cut from the 8.6 $million he made in 2003. Would you agree to a 50+ pay cut on your line of work without testing the market?). He also said he would consider a 1 year deal depending on what kind of team he was coming back to – if it was a competitive team he'd make concessions for the chance to come back. Kenny balked at $4 million as probably too much, and Robbie then agreed in principle to $3 million with the same stipulations as above. Robbie said get with his agent and get it done and that's where it was left.

Then last week the sox actually offer $1 million plus $2 million deferred (over an unspecified period AND without interest), so it's probbably only a $2.5 million deal in reality. Robbie sees the nature of the 2004 team being put together (i.e., not competitive) and understandably holds out for a 2-year deal. When that doesn't happen, Robbie's the jerk?!?

I want to see Willie succeed as much as anyone if he's getting the 2B job. Maybe $3 million is more than we can afford at 2B, or maybe it's time to give youth a spot at that position. But if that was the plan, KW shouldn't have made one oral offer to Robbie and then change the terms down the line and expect hem to be cool with it.