Joe Sherman

Dick Allen

I don't know how to link it, but Joe Sherman in today's NY Post says Thomas has demanded to be traded. Says Guillen has requested that Konerko, Ordonez, and Lee get traded, and that the White Sox are the frontrunners for Ponson with a 3 year $18 million offer.

Ok let me see if I understand this, Thomas is demanding a trade. I cna see that because Ozzie is an idiot. Fine, but Ozzie doesn't want Magss, Konerko or Lee. If that is the case, then Ozzie, is a complete idiot, and I hate him even more.

LOL, I'm picture guys in NY reacting to a Jay Mariotti column.

Could Ozzie want Frank traded? I think it's possible especially if OZ is correct that he tried several times to reach Frank and Frank will not return calls. Dumping the rest of the team? I Would love to see a Lee for Bonds trade? Not going to happen, but does that mean I want Lee traded? No.

Quit putting words in Ozzies mouth. For the right deal, anyone is expendable.

No brand new manager demands a trade of the team's franchise players. That is the easiest way to get fired or be under heat from upper management, by the way did Guillen tell the Sox to trade Marte, Buerhle and Loiaza. The only thing that is true in the article is that the Sox are front runners for Ponson and the Sox are shopping the Maggs, C-Lee and Konerko.

Wow, Ponson would be a steal at $6 M. Hope we can get away with it. DON'T TRADE THOMAS KONERKO MAGS OR LEE!

No he wouldn't. There's persistent Rumors that Ponson got a Parcial tear in the Rotator Cuff. No one is gonna pay him that much. There's not even many teams interested in him. Only the SOx and Probably the Orioles

And If Konerko is traded so be it

No he wouldn't. There's persistent Rumors that Ponson got a Parcial tear in the Rotator Cuff. No one is gonna pay him that much. There's not even many teams interested in him. Only the SOx and Probably the Orioles

Haven't seen anything official. And why would the Orioles want him after trading him. I doubt he'd go back to Baltimore after they dumped him.

Can you guys quit with this BS injury stuff with Ponson? There have been NO credible sources that have confirmed that he DOES have a torn rotator cuff. You can say the same thing about half the pitchers in the majors with the stress that they put on their arm. All we heard last offseason after we got Colon was that he was injuried and he wouldn't last the whole season, and all he did was throw a career high 242 innings and put together a typical Colon type year. Getting Ponson at 6M/yr would be a very good signing.

undefined

Haven't seen anything official. And why would the Orioles want him after trading him. I doubt he'd go back to Baltimore after they dumped him.

The Orioles are preparing to make an offer to free agent Sidney Ponson, according to the Washington Post

The White Sox are also believed to have some interest in Ponson, but no one else appears to be pursuing him at the moment. The Cardinals probably don't have the money to sign him Source: Washington Post

Can you guys quit with this BS injury stuff with Ponson? There have been NO credible sources that have confirmed that he DOES have a torn rotator cuff. You can say the same thing about half the pitchers in the majors with the stress that they put on their arm. All we heard last offseason after we got Colon was that he was injuried and he wouldn't last the whole season, and all he did was throw a career high 242 innings and put together a typical Colon type year. Getting Ponson at 6M/yr would be a very good signing.

If the guy is THAT good and healthy, why isn't anyone else trying to sign him? It is obvious in this off season that good pitching is still at a huge premium and they are still getting big contracts. No one seems to be interested in Ponson, why?

this was in an article on MLB.com

Guillen has yet to meet with Thomas, although third-base coach Joey Cora has talked to the powerful designated hitter and reported that Thomas is excited about playing for Guillen in 2004.

almost the exact opposite of what was said in the post

I don't know how to link it, but Joe Sherman in today's NY Post says Thomas has demanded to be traded. Says Guillen has requested that Konerko, Ordonez, and Lee get traded, and that the White Sox are the frontrunners for Ponson with a 3 year $18 million offer.

I have no problem if they did all those things, as long as they got value in return. I think Ozzie wants his type of team there, I just know that Kenny wants pitching, pitching and more pitching.

That offer for Ponson seems more then fair.

If the guy is THAT good and healthy, why isn't anyone else trying to sign him?  It is obvious in this off season that good pitching is still at a huge premium and they are still getting big contracts.  No one seems to be interested in Ponson, why?

Well, everyone said Colon's arm was gonna fall off this offseason and the Angels still got him. A lot of rumors get spread. If the Sox sign them it will obviously be pending a physical and they'll do the mri and all that. If it comes up, then I'm sure they'd say we pass.

Ponson probably hasn't got much interest because not that many teams have been incredibly active thus far, plus with Boston and the Yanks not going after him, and Colon on the market all that time, he had to know he would be sitting a bit till all the other teams made thier moves (Well the teams that wanted Colon, Vazquez, Schilling and Brown).

If the guy is THAT good and healthy, why isn't anyone else trying to sign him?  It is obvious in this off season that good pitching is still at a huge premium and they are still getting big contracts.  No one seems to be interested in Ponson, why?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$...The fact remains that most teams are still cutting payroll. Most of the teams with money to spend AND who needed starting pitching have already addressed their needs. I predicted that after the big spenders get their needs, than there would be some good bargains because most teams are cutting payroll. Ponson at 6M/yr that would be a good investment, and until an credible/offical article comes out comfirming an injury I am going to assume that he is healthy. As someone else pointed out, he would have to pass a physical before he signs, and they will make sure that nothing is wrong with his arm.

December 14, 2003 -- NEW ORLEANS - Rangers and Red Sox ownership have described the Alex Rodriguez-Manny Ramirez trade talks as a back-burner issue now. But a person familiar with the negotiations still expects a deal to be consummated, because the main actors involved are untenable where they are.

A-Rod might have hated being on a last-place Ranger team the last three years, but at least he was not booed. Now, however, with his desire to get out so public, Rodriguez's life in Texas would become even more miserable. Plus, he is in a mutual-hate relationship with manager Buck Showalter.

Ramirez was hardly beloved in Boston to begin with. Now the outfielder has publicly exclaimed he wants to be a Yankee, making him a Fenway villain forever. Plus, he knows management put him on irrevocable waivers, meaning it would have taken nothing in return simply to be rid of him.

Shortstop Nomar Garciaparra and management recently had a nasty, public exchange over his contract. The Boston media was reporting the Red Sox and Garciaparra have renewed contract talks. But rumors also persist - despite regular denials - of a three-team deal in which Garciaparra and OF Trot Nixon would end up in Philadelphia, Ramirez and SS Jimmy Rollins would go to Texas, and A-Rod and OF Bobby Abreu would go to the Red Sox.

These meetings end tomorrow and we predict that sometime shortly afterward, all sides will finally show their best hands, and the A-Rod/Manny blockbuster will get done.

* An interesting side figure in the Manny/A-Rod issue is Rich Aurilia. Both the Rangers and Red Sox have talked to Aurilia's agent, Barry Axelrod, saying his client is a potential shortstop replacement for A-Rod in Texas or Nomar in Boston. The Red Sox also are interested in the former Giant as a second baseman to play next to either Nomar or A-Rod.

Another second base option for Boston is waiting to see if Tampa non-tenders 2B Marlon Anderson, who played for new Red Sox manager Terry Francona in Philadelphia.

The Red Sox guaranteed Keith Foulke three years at $24 million, but it was a chance for that pact to swell to $27 million with bonuses that convinced the closer to sign rather than take Oakland's four-year, $24 million bid. The A's also lost out to the Mets despite a four-year bid for OF Mike Cameron.

Oakland's former shortstop, Miguel Tejada, has been offered a five-year, $50 million pact by Detroit, but he doesn't want to join the horrid Tigers. The Orioles, Dodgers and Mariners are willing to go into the three-year, $27 million range for Tejada.

The Braves moved to replace OF Gary Sheffield by acquiring OF J.D. Drew in a five-player trade with St. Louis in which the Cards saved enough money that they may be able to get into the market for right-hander Greg Maddux. If the Cards go cheap, they would probably turn to righty Jeff Suppan.

With Drew off the market and after finding their inquiries into Colorado OF Preston Wilson unsatisfying, Los Angeles traded for Florida OF Juan Encarnacion. Besides Wilson, the Rockies also are trying to move OF Jay Payton, but were turned down in their bids to deal him to Montreal for righty Zach Day.

* It certainly was not worth losing Andy Pettitte, but the Yanks are going to improve their drafting position by having the lefty go to the Astros. The Yanks were due to pick 27th in the first round, but lost that to Los Angeles for signing reliever Paul Quantrill, a Type-A free agent. But now they will get Houston's first pick, the 24th overall, as compensation for Pettitte.

The Devil Rays are trying to finalize a multi-year pact with slugging OF Aubrey Huff and - if they fail - they will look to trade him. The Mets would be interested. The Mets had inquired about Geoff Jenkins, but Milwaukee said the outfielder is not available.

Designated hitter Frank Thomas has demanded a trade from the White Sox. Thomas wants out because he does not like his new manager, Ozzie Guillen, and the feeling is mutual. In fact, Guillen wants speedy, pesky players and has told upper management to deal Thomas, OFs Magglio Ordonez and Carlos Lee and 1B Paul Konerko.

The Orioles are considering one plan in which they would sign both Pudge Rodriguez and Javy Lopez and have them share the catching/DH duties. The White Sox are viewed as the front-runners for righty Sidney Ponson with a three-year, $18 million offer. If they fail to land Ponson, the White Sox are said to be interested in seeing if Seattle non-tenders righty Freddy Garcia. So are at least the Dodgers and White Sox.

San Diego is closing in on lefty Sterling Hitchcock and is re-visiting taking on C Jason Kendall if the Pirates are willing to swallow a large chunk of contract. The Royals, Devil Rays, Diamondbacks and Expos are pursuing OF Juan Gonzalez.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$...The fact remains that most teams are still cutting payroll. Most of the teams with money to spend AND who needed starting pitching have already addressed their needs. I predicted that after the big spenders get their needs, than there would be some good bargains because most teams are cutting payroll. Ponson at 6M/yr that would be a good investment, and until an credible/offical article comes out comfirming an injury I am going to assume that he is healthy. As someone else pointed out, he would have to pass a physical before he signs, and they will make sure that nothing is wrong with his arm.

Money hasn't been that big of a deal when it has come to pitching this year. Look at the contracts that Pettite, Colon and even Kelvim Escobar have gotten. That should make Ponson even more attractive, instead he just sits on the sidelines with no interest at all. Geez Escobar got a huge contract as a starter, when he hasn't proven himself for half as much as Ponson.

Money hasn't been that big of a deal when it has come to pitching this year.  Look at the contracts that Pettite, Colon and even Kelvim Escobar have gotten.  That should make Ponson even more attractive, instead he just sits on the sidelines with no interest at all.  Geez Escobar got a huge contract as a starter, when he hasn't proven himself for half as much as Ponson.

You missed the point...Pettite, Colon, Escobar were signed by some of the few teams with money to spend this offseason. $$$$$$$$ - didn't necassarily mean that Ponson wants a ton of money, but meant that few teams have the financial flexibility to invest 6-7M/yr for a FA. Like I said before, most of the teams with money to spend AND who needed starting pitching have addressed their needs. What other teams have money to spend AND are in drastic need of starting pitching? Baltimore??? - and it is no coincidence that they are in the hunt for Ponson. San Diego??? - has also been mentioned with Ponson, however it appears that they are more interested in Maddux at this point. Atlanta??? - are after Maddux and Millwood first, but might go after Ponson if eveyrthing falls through. St. Loius??? - they might have the flexibility to go after Ponson now that they unloaded some salary. Mets??? - really haven't been mentioned with any starting pitchers. Detriot??? - see Mets.

As you can see there are few teams with money to spend AND who are STILL looking for starting pitching. The few teams that do fit that description are going after Millwood and Muddax first. So you can see that the lack of interest in Ponson really doesn't have anything to do with his ability.