Cubs sign dempster

Pale Hose Jon

They only spent 500,000 dollars on him

I think it would have been a good pickup for us

From Chicagosports.com:

"The Cubs are taking a chance that Ryan Dempster will be as good as old.

The Cubs and the right-hander agreed to a one-year contract Wednesday that includes a team option for 2005, a deal that guarantees him $500,000.

Dempster had ligament replacement surgery on his elbow Aug. 4, and spent the final two months of last season on the Cincinnati Reds disabled list. It will probably be July or August before he's ready to pitch in the majors again, but that gives the Cubs time to see if he can return to the form that made him an All-Star in 2000.

"He's 26 years old, so you've got a guy that if he comes back to what he was before, can be a real good pitcher," Cubs general manager Jim Hendry said. "You can never have enough pitching. This just seems like a real solid gamble."

This is a grezt move, coming from a Sox fan, if they don't sign Maddux thye have a former all-star who is at least an above average #5. He no more of a waste than Robert Person(who isn't a waste, he was a good pickup, just making point that Dempster is good)

$500,000 is nothing to a team that spend and spends

The other issue here is that every time a team, Cubs or anyone, signs a free agent player we have tons of complaints posted about the Sox not doing anything, we should have signed that guy, curse the stagecoach KW rode in on, etc, etc, but we can't sign everybody and we don't need everybody. When a team does sign someone you want to make sure there is a need for that guy, it's a good solid move and you can afford the player. Dempster will be of no use to the Cubs in '04 and if they want to waste $500K then let them. We have plenty of good, young and healthy arms ready to compete this Spring. It's no loss to the Sox.

Exactly...why would he have wanted to sign with the Sox, when it looks like the sCrUBS are committed to winning???

Who the hell knows why he signed with the Cubs?

My guess...only people with sources, Jim Hendry, and Ryan Dempster(and his agent obviously) know why. Maybe it's about winning. Maybe they were the first team to offer him a contract. Maybe he has liked the Cubs for a while. Maybe all 14 AL teams offered him a contract but the Cubs were the only NL team and he wanted to stay in the NL.

Your guess is as good as mine.

Ryan Dempster stunk a lot before surgery, and he's going to stink a lot afterwards. By the way, from what I've heard on the Cubs radio station (yuck), this guy won't even pitch until July - if at all. Maybe not until 2005.

As desperate as I am as a Sox fan, not even I would have signed Ryan Dumpster (appropriately re-named). He's garbage.

Unlike the White Sox, they Cubs have money to spend. If they REALLY wanted to, they could spend 120 million on their payroll and still turn a profit.

The Tribune Company made something like 420 million in profits last year (it's in some magazine I read, but I'm tired and lazy, and not looking it up).

So, they have a luxury we don't have. And yet in the last 25 years, they've won as many divisions as we have. That's not a compliment, it's an indictment on the owners of Chicago baseball. Two teams, and only 6 division titles in 25 years? Pathetic.

Both ownership groups should not only be ashamed, but should go **ck themselves for this inexcusable abysmal record. For Shame!