The OFFICIAL "Think positive in 2004" Thread

The Bones

With all of the official threads that have been starting up here's my contribution.

I've thought long and hard about yesterday's game and I realized we have a lot to be optimistic about. I can find something positive about nearly everyone wearing a Sox uniform on Monday.

1.) Mark Buehrle pitched 6 2/3 strong innings. This is something we'll need as our pitching staff is our #1 question mark. Mark came out and was just dominant at times. Hopefully, this will rub off on our other starters.

2.) Cliff Politte came out and showed us what he had. He pitched great to end the 7th and get through the 8th only giving up one hit and striking out 2 with his high 90s heat. We also found out that he can only go an inning or two at the most. Once Ozzie figures out where, when, and how to use his relievers we will feel much more comfortable in the later innings. Even Koch came in and got a K. Granted he gave up a double to Santiago but he pitched well and showed control.

3.) Our bats showed up scoring 7 runs. And not all of them were from home runs either. Also, almost everyone got in on the action. The only 2 batters to not get either an RBI or a run scored were Willie and Crede. This will probably lead Ozzie to start Uribe against lefties.

4.) Paul Konerko. That's all I have to say about that.

5.) Defense was terrific and I think overlooked. First game of the season you might see some jitters but the defense was solid all around, minus Buehrle's error. I doubt he'll try that again. Willie was turning the double plays like a veteran and everyone did their part to limit the amount of scoring opportunities for the Royals.

So, Damaso Marte blew it. Do you really expect that to be a common thing this year. Damaso was probably the surest thing we had out of the pen last year and I'm sure he'll come around.

Would you have rather had a game that we were down from start to finish like last year and showed no fight whatsoever and nothing went our way, which would have been easier to swallow at the end of the day? Or would you rather have a game where the Sox showed what they are made of 8 innings but the pitching of 1 or 2 guys lost it in the end?

Sure, this was a game we should have one. But, you can't should have done anything because it's in the past. I'm looking forward to another exciting 161 games this year starting Wednesday.

dude i am totally here to say that i hate all this pessimism especially when there was a lot of good stuff we did yesterday... i just made a thread to confine the b****ing to one spot so we dont end up with 80 f*** you marte and ozzie threads... hopefully people will only use those threads so we wont have to be bombarded with negativity on the pale hose talk... as always though :fthecubs

Im optimistic because the chances of losing a game when you are down 4 runs in the 9th inning I would venture to guess is some where in the less than 1% range.

Koch looked good, 97 on opening day, I suspect had he gotten another batter he would of hit 99.

Politte, looked good, should of been taken out at the start of the 9th.

The offense looked good, I have no doubt had it gone extra innings they could of scored a run.

1 bad day, I prefer that it happened on our first day of the season rather than our second to last (hint remember Bartman).

SB

Positive:  Konerko leads the league in SB

OMG, isn't that part of doomsday prediction :D

I liked the new order. Frank got the 2nd inning rally going.

Kong :headbang

Sandy :headbang

Mark :headbang

Lotsa good from the offense, too bad the pen was equally offensive

I dug out all my Sox newspaper clippings and pictures and how have a shrine-ish thing on the wall...Ahhhh, my wonderful boys of summer, my heart sings for joy when looking at my wall of Soxy goodness.

One thing you gotta remember, these guys have basically been on a long-ass road trip since spring training started (mid-February?), which is why I don't worry until they play at home. Having to go to NY for four games after this is a b**** of a trip to make, but if they get out of these 6 games with a split, or maybe even 2-4, I'll be happy.

After that, 15 of the next 18 are at home. That's when I think they'll really get on track.

This thread sucks! :bringit :lol:

Anyways, all I have to add to this thread is what I've said about 2 or 3 times already.

The team in the White Sox uniform that I saw yesterday is a 90-95 win team. The way they played was much better. This team, if it comes together like I think it will, could be scary good by June.

This thread sucks!  :bringit  :lol:

Anyways, all I have to add to this thread is what I've said about 2 or 3 times already.

The team in the White Sox uniform that I saw yesterday is a 90-95 win team.  The way they played was much better.  This team, if it comes together like I think it will, could be scary good by June.

Did you happen to those guys in the Sox uniforms that came in from the bullpen? :lol:

Joking. I hope you're right. :cheers