Ordonez: Sox deal 'close' to happening

mmmmmbeeer

this was cool to see, i'd love to have maggs back, but i'm so very confident in these four to five young outfielders we have coming up...that i think in a couple years, our outfield will rival...i don't know...Anaheims of today..

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's a positive article.... We don't know who was asking Maggs the questions that prompted those answers, I think it was probably a NY writer. I would be more concerned if Maggs was saying those things unprompted.

This is also a turn in Maggs attitude about re-signing. Last year he basically said he is going to test free agency, but now he seems open to re-signing. Also JR was on WSCR yesterday (I think with North) and said that they are talking with his people and it's still a real possibility that Maggs will sign an extension. He basically said that last year Maggs wasn't willing to talk, but now he is. I think Maggs realizes that there's no guarantee he's going to get 14-15m in free agency.

I think we should keep maggs BECAUSE of all our young outfield prospects. You dont want an outfield of Reed Sweeny Anderson right off the bat with little or no real experience. If we keep Maggs around for a while thats a huge presence to look up to and it gives us room in case one of these guys doesnt pan out which is entirely possible. I just think that having a veteran superstar would really help the young guys. So i dont think that those 3 are a good reason to ship maggs

Rather than saying the players walked away, I should have said the sox allowed the players to get away.

I did not expect the Sox to resign all of those guys.  But not giving Colon the extra year sickens me.  Even if he only wins 15 games every year, he pitches so many innings and he could have given us the edge in this close division.

After Colon got away, I thought maybe we would keep Everett around.  I was sickened when Montreal got him for 2 years 7 million (or something cheap like that).  Say what you want about our offense already being deep, but with a .300-0-100 switch hitter in the order, we are probably second to only the yankees offensively.

The White Sox couldn't have gotten Everett for that money. They had to offer him arbitration to keep talking to him. So that would have meant that he could recieve no less than 80% of his last years salary.

The Sox need to find a way to keep mags, he is a perennial all-star, he's finally gotten his name out to everyone, he gives the sox a face, and oh yeah, he's one of the best outfielders in the game. I dont' care how much it costs SIGN HIM.

I am hoping Ozzie is having some major influence on Magg's decision to stay here. I think this team is beginning to target Hispanic players with Ozzie as a very big factor in that. Maggs says he wouldn't know anybody on the Yankees and believe it or not, our chemistry looks damn good right now.

I am hoping Ozzie is having some major influence on Magg's decision to stay here.  I think this team is beginning to target Hispanic players with Ozzie as a very big factor in that.  Maggs says he wouldn't know anybody on the Yankees and believe it or not, our chemistry looks damn good right now.

It can be. They are both Venezuelan.

I am hoping Ozzie is having some major influence on Magg's decision to stay here.  I think this team is beginning to target Hispanic players with Ozzie as a very big factor in that.  Maggs says he wouldn't know anybody on the Yankees and believe it or not, our chemistry looks damn good right now.

Bernie would go to DH, Matsui would go to CF.

Recent history:

Wells, Alomar, Colon, Everett all walk away from the sox after 1 year.

More recent history: Sox restoring tradition to the White Sox, having ex-players return as coaches, and rewarding productive players with multi year contracts. These other guys were basically 1 year rentals who did OK but nothing to break the bank on.

Sure the Sox made some bad decisions letting some long time players go in the 90's. [Ventura the prime example] But mgmt seems to have learned from that, knowing having players who have come up through the minors, who have played well, should get rewarded with cash and security [buehrle, Lee, Garland, Marte -though these last two came up w/ other teams].

I think this means the team will re-sign Maggs [even at Vlad money], as he's a guy to build around with his all-around play. Plus, he's a guy who came up through the minors with the Sox. There are some bragging rights in holding onto him for the organization as a whole.

Bottom line, mgmt seems to be showing some loyalty to long time players. This hasn't always been the case. It's right to call them to the mat when they don't show loyalty, it's also right to give them credit when it's due. I think it's due.

More recent history: Sox restoring tradition to the White Sox, having ex-players return as coaches, and rewarding productive players with multi year contracts. These other guys were basically 1 year rentals who did OK but nothing to break the bank on.

Sure the Sox made some bad decisions letting some long time players go in the 90's. [Ventura the prime example] But mgmt seems to have learned from that, knowing having players who have come up through the minors, who have played well, should get rewarded with cash and security [buehrle, Lee, Garland, Marte -though these last two came up w/ other teams]. 

I think this means the team will re-sign Maggs [even at Vlad money], as he's a guy to build around with his all-around play.  Plus, he's a guy who came up through the minors with the Sox. There are some bragging rights in holding onto him for the organization as a whole.

Bottom line, mgmt seems to be showing some loyalty to long time players. This hasn't always been the case. It's right to call them to the mat when they don't show loyalty, it's also right to give them credit when it's due. I think it's due.

Great to see you posting here.

Reinsdorf was on the Score and said Maggs wants to test free agency, but then there's the Southtown report which says a contract extension may be close. Seems almost like contradictory information, and we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Sure would be great to lock Ordonez up for a few years. We'd really have a lot of depth and strength in the OF.

Reinsdorf was on the Score and said Maggs wants to test free agency, but then there's the Southtown report which says a contract extension may be close.  Seems almost like contradictory information, and we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Reinsdorf also said that there's a real chance of Maggs staying. He said something about how "it takes 2 parties to negotiate" and basically said last year Maggs wasn't interested in talking. Now it seems like they are talking.

Thanks Jim. I think if Maggs can sign for close to what Vlad got for 3, 4 years, the Sox should be able to lock him up. Why go elsewhere if the money isn't much different? [The Sox probably could afford him, w/ clauses such as deferred salary on contracts and all]

The only position players the Sox would want as a FA might be a SS or 2b. Yet there are no guarantees with anybody. Maggs is almost a lock for .320, 30 HR and 100+ RBIs. Why mess with success?

Reinsdorf also said that there's a real chance of Maggs staying.  He said something about how "it takes 2 parties to negotiate" and basically said last year Maggs wasn't interested in talking.  Now it seems like they are talking.

I have learned never to believe a word that comes out of JR's mouth.

This is a guy who says that he'd trade all of his Bulls championships for 1 Whitesox championship, yet does nothing to improve the team!

I have learned never to believe a word that comes out of JR's mouth.

This is a guy who says that he'd trade all of his Bulls championships for 1 Whitesox championship, yet does nothing to improve the team!

Jerry is dying for a flash in a bottle type of championship.