What the White Sox Need to Do Is.......

C.Rector

What the Sox need to do is put Wright back in the bullpen in the long relief role that he was born to play and put either Adkins or Cotts in the 5th starter position.

Or to put it another way, if Wright kept to being a long relief pitcher, he could become a perennial All-Star, but as a starter, he's nothing but a DS: Designated Scapegoat.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What the Sox need to do is put Wright back in the bullpen in the long relief role that he was born to play and put either Adkins or Cotts in the 5th starter position.

Or to put it another way, if Wright kept to being a long relief pitcher, he could become a perennial All-Star, but as a starter, he's nothing but a DS:  Designated Scapegoat.

Adkins??????????? are you related to him or what??????

Adkins is a great pitcher.

for me and i will tell you this, your recredibility (sp) is nill now with me.

adkins is a great, yeah right and how long did it take him to make it? how old is he? what is his record?

yeah make room for the hall of fame for him.

Adkins is a good pitcher. But how does that make him a starter? You think you can just make a guy a starter. You have to be stretched out, and you have to have the make up. Right now, Adkins has the make up of a solid reliever. Don't make him more than what he is. You can't just up and say, this guy should start.

Adkins is a good pitcher. But how does that make him a starter? You think you can just make a guy a starter. You have to be stretched out, and you have to have the make up. Right now, Adkins has the make up of a solid reliever. Don't make him more than what he is. You can't just up and say, this guy should start.

Adkins was a starter with a pretty good track record in the minors. Just because the Sox are playing him as a reliever now does not mean that he has to remain in the bullpen. Remember, Mark Buehrle originally started out on the Sox as a relief pitcher.

Adkins was a starter with a pretty good track record in the minors.  Just because the Sox are playing him as a reliever now does not mean that he has to remain in the bullpen.  Remember, Mark Buehrle originally started out on the Sox as a relief pitcher.

pretty good record you say................. get real.

pretty good record you say................. get real.

And on just what basis do you say that he wasn't a good pitcher on the minor league level?

Because Michael Lewis dumped on KW about taking Adkins in the Ray Durham trade in the overrated book, Moneyball?

Adkins doesn't have the pin-point control OR a third pitch to be a productive starter.

BUT... as a reliever.....95-97mph fastball and a solidbreaking ball....tolerable control....he can't be much worse than Rich White Trash.

I hope.

OK, so now in three posts, you've said Adkins is a "great" pitcher, then you describe him as "pretty good", and then "good".

So while it's hard to determine specifically where on the Greatness Scale he stands in CRector's mind, in 2003 he had 19 starts at Charlotte, was 7-7 with a 4.21 ERA. In 9 relief apearances, he was 0-1 with a 2.30 ERA.

Based on last year, stats say he's better suited to relief duty.

In 2002, he was 11-9 as a starter at a couple different levels. 5.40 ERA, and he allowed 11.8 hits per nine innings pitched.

Not horrible, but hardly a stellar (or "great" or even "pretty good") track record as a starter.

Maybe he was just trying to put names out there of potential starters to take Danny's place? It's easy to get excited. I like sdkins too, but I think maybe long relief is his suit. That is where I am leaning towards Wright going also. But, I am sure he will get another start or two. After all he had the one bad inning walking two and giving up a 3-run jack to some hyped up Yankee has been nobody. Erase that and it's a Sox winner. We were in hat game and when we had 2 runners on ourselves with what (1 out or no outs) and couldn't get a bunt down to advance that was a bad thing for us. Took us out of scoring chances. But, if Danny continues this way I want Cotts in there.

What do you have against Adkins?

The fact that he is not good enough to be a starter and that he has had a surgery before(I believe it was a major surgery, though I am not sure where. It did cost him all of 1998, which was the first year he could have played).

Adkins hasn't proved he could be a good starter in the minors, what in the blue hell makes you think he can be a starter in the majors? There are examples of guys losing like crazy in the minor leagues and ending up solid major leaguers(Kyle Lohse was 3-18 one year as a pitcher in the minors, and he is now a solid 12-15 4.25 ERA 200 innings kind of guy, and he still has a ton of room to grow into a better pitcher), but I am quite sure Lohse atleast had a better ERA then Adkins did as a starter.

Leave Jonny in the pen where he can actually succeed atleast a little bit. It's bad enough that we got him and only him for Ray Durham at the trade deadline.

Because Michael Lewis dumped on KW about taking Adkins in the Ray Durham trade in the overrated book, Moneyball?

for starters i didn't read his book, but i am glad someone other than myself and a handfull of poster here are saying that kw gotten taken to the cleaners.

i was not a ray ray fan, i don't know why, i wish him the best but there was something that i didn't like. to me it seem he was overrated.

kw was taken in the trade and then i was defending myself on this and other boards telling my stand on why kw was taken and defend my stand on how much of a nimrod kw is really.

you need to be good to make it to the majors, many have tried and not all have made it.

but to tell me that adkins will be a all star per your first post, i had to say what i did and i do mean it by saying that your credibility is shot with that statement.

he was a medicore pitcher at best in the minors, now if his role is a rp and he does well, then i would eat some crow.................. until then he has proven s*** to me and the only way he made the list is b/c kw is calling the shots and he wants to justify his trade.

Adkins won't make it as a starter, at least not here where U.S Cell is a hitter's park. I agree that Wright's long term future should be out of the pen, but we shouldn't giv up on him afta 1 start. I'm also very comfortable with leavin Cotts and Adkins in da pen, if Shoe struggles, I think KW will make a trade for a starter very soon.

We are talking about our 5th starter. He kept us in the game against the #1 starter for the Yankees. None of the pitchers listed is going to make a 50% or even a 25% improvement in our rotation.

I wouldn't tinker with anything until at least the middle of May.

Or to put it another way, if Wright kept to being a long relief pitcher, he could become a perennial All-Star, but as a starter, he's nothing but a DS:  Designated Scapegoat.

Adkins is not going to be a starter this year. If he had any chance at all, he would have been sent to Charlotte to stretch out. Adkins future is in the pen. Period. The guy has two pitches. You can get away with that, facing a batter once, maybe twice, but not as a starter. He would get his ass handed to him on a silver platter by the 3rd/4th time through the line up.

BTW what happened to Adkins for closer? :rolleyes:

You have to give Danny Wright a legitimate shot at proving himself as a starter, and I think Ozzie will do that. All indications are that Ozzie will stick with his guys - the age of the tinkerer seems to be over.Wright is why we lost yesterday, but I wouldn't yank him out of the rotation until he's had the chance to get his feet on the ground.

Viva Ozzie!

Danny was fine on Sunday. If Valentin could field, he wouldn't have given up a run in the first. If Rowand could bunt or at least advance a runner , he would have beat Mussina and the Yankees. Considering he hasn't pitched for a while he did pretty well. He will only get better with consistent work. I do think he would make a great closer though. He throws real hard.