Borchard goes 4-5

Cerbaho-WG

I called it and you all laughed at me.

He's on his way.

:headbang

This is all well and good, but I want to see him produce on the Sox before I go apes*** over him. I mean, sure I want him to do well. I'm just very skeptical at this point. Did something suddenly click?

This is all well and good, but I want to see him produce on the Sox before I go apes*** over him. I mean, sure I want him to do well. I'm just very skeptical at this point. Did something suddenly click?

Yeah he got healthy -- He had the hamstring injury to start the season, then his back was bothering him --

Like I said earlier, I had listened to two games eearlier this week, and JB was flying all over the field, 3 infiled singles in a game, stealing bases, diving catches in the outfield --

Yeah he got healthy -- He had the hamstring injury to start the season, then his back was bothering him --

Like I said earlier, I had listened to two games eearlier this week, and JB was flying all over the field, 3 infiled singles in a game, stealing bases, diving catches in the outfield --

Infield singles and SB's are nice and all, but the primary reason why Sox paid him that huge bonus is so he could develop and provide Jim Thome OPS and RBI.

But his late streak is good news.

He's not coming up until he either starts hitting bombs left and right, or Timo Perez or Aaron Rowand gets injured.

Anyone who thinks he actually has a good shot of being called up, barring a trade of an OF, is naive.

Why his he nicknamed LTP?  Just wondering....

Very nice, Joe!  Hopefully he can keep it up and earn a spot with us later in the season!  Like my mom always says, Patience is a virtue! :headbang Hopefully patience is paying off with him!

I just looked up an old article. LTP=Light tower power. That nickname is kinda dumb. But you get the picture.

So your saying you wouldnt want a Jim Thome type player who can steal a base and be able to run farther than 5.3 feet Brando?

I believe you missed the point in brando's statement.

Stolen bases and infield singles are totally worthless if Borchard doesn't turn into the power hitter everyone has expected him to be.

He's not coming up until he either starts hitting bombs left and right, or Timo Perez or Aaron Rowand gets injured

Well, we know Rowand starts against LHP, regardless of what Borchard and Reed do. This season Aaron is hitting BIG against lefties, somsething like 1100 OPS after today's game.

I know I said Jeremiah Reed shouldn't be brought up until 2005, but when you have Timoran Perowand with a collective OBP of 220against right-handed pitching, of which there is a majority in MLB.......Let's just say, opinions are meant to be changed. ;) :cheers

Reed's ailing wrists may have zapped his power, but he could muster a 350 OBP against RHP in his sleep. He does other things well, too. Harris and Reed as #1 and #2 against righties works like a charm.

Reed's ailing wrists may have zapped his power, but he could muster a 350 OBP against RHP in his sleep.  He does other things well, too. Harris and Reed as #1 and #2 against righties works like a charm.

Reed has really never hit for power in pro ball, but from what I understand, that should develop as he grows as a player. And what Brando said here is exactly right, Reed is a smart player who doesn't get himself out. His OBP will be very good. Reed probably will get the entire season at AAA, but he or Joe could get the call if the situation in CF becomes desperate. I'd say Rowands performance today buys him a little more time, like it or not. And yes, as long as he is with the team, he WILL face all lefties.

I'm rooting for Joe very much so. He's been one of my favorite prospects for a while. I think if he can keep it up for a while he gets a call before reed because of the fact he's been in the system longer. Aboz the homerun and rbi numbers look damn good in your sig. Go Joey B :headbang :headbang

Reed has really never hit for power in pro ball, but from what I understand, that should develop as he grows as a player

There's not hitting for POWER and then there is not hitting for power.

He had a near-600 Slugging in the spacious AA park against hard-throwing AA'ers.

Now, in Charlotte sandbox, his Slug % is, what, .365?

Couple that with his abysmal ST showing and off-season health travails...

Obviously I don't expect him to hit for real power EVEN if he were 100% healthy -- he is a John Olerud, not a Giambi afterall.......But 525-550 Slug in that AAA park is a must - if only because of singles, doubles and triples.

In any case, Timo and Aaron not only can't hit RHP, they can't even get on base. Rowand starts against LHP and Reed - against RHP in the 2-spot where his OBP and baserunning would be most welcome.

Ideally, you would wait for Reed to get healthy and not waste a year of ML service in 2004......But emergency is emergency --Sox need everybit of OBP/contact they could muster with their schitzophrenic "1 run today, 12 runs tomorrow" all-or-nothing offense.