White Sox Draft Preview: 1st Round

Chisoxfn

By Jason Gage

May 29, 2004

FutureSox.com

The MLB Amateur draft starts on June 7th and the Chicago White Sox will have a great opportunity to further improve their minor league system. In the most recent draft the White Sox did a tremendous job adding outfield talent (Brian Anderson, Ryan Sweeney, Ricardo Nanita) as well as some good looking middle infielders (Robert Valido, Antoin Gray). The one area the Sox struggled to add was starting pitching. However, the Sox lower levels do have some good arms (Brandon McCarthy, Daniel Haigwood, Ryan Rodriguez, Brian Miller, Sean Tracey).

This time around the White Sox have seven picks in the first three rounds. They pick 18th overall in the 1st round and then have two sandwich picks (supplemental for the losses of Bartolo Colon and Tom Gordon). The sandwich picks are 34th overall and 38th overall. The White Sox also have 3 second round picks (53rd overall, 59th overall, and 69th overall) and then have one 3rd round pick (89th overall).

All of these early picks should give the White Sox a great opportunity to add some quality arms and a bat or two. The reason I say quality arms is because this is a pitching heavy draft and it’s a college heavy draft early on. The top picks should be college pitchers, starting with Jared Weaver and Jeff Nieneman. Nieneman, from Rice, appears to have a higher ceiling then Weaver who has been fantastic all season long for Long Beach State. Weaver is putting up numbers similar to Mark Prior, but shouldn’t be compared to Prior who has a little better stuff. However, Weaver has very good control and knows how to pitch. Nieneman, on the other hand, had some early season injury concerns but has tremendous stuff.

Either way none of these players will be available when the White Sox pick, however they should have their pick of a few quality college pitchers as well as some pretty talented position players.

The following are players that are projected to be taken sometime around the White Sox 1st round selection:

Justin Orenduff – RHP – Virginia Commonwealth

Orenduff features a good sinking fastball, changeup, and slider. He has a nice smooth delivery that is easily repeated resulting in good control of all three pitches. He is the second best pitcher in Virginia, behind Justin Verlander. Orenduff pitched well for Team USA this off-season and is 4-5 with a 2.93 ERA this season. Thus far this season he has pitched 89 innings giving up 74 hits while striking out 114.

David Purcey – LHP – University of Oklahoma

Purcey is a big, strong, left hander (6-5, 240) that was drafted last year by the New York Yankees in the 17th round (Purcey was a draft eligible sophomore) but the Yankees failed to sign him. For the past few years Purcey was known as a one pitch pitcher (low-to-mid 90’s fastball) but he has since improved his curveball and has further improved his control. Purcey isn’t going to be the 1st LHP selected, but he does possess the best left handed arm. He is still rather raw for a college pitcher, but has tremendous upside. Baseball America reported that the White Sox have shown some interest in him. He is 6-4 with a 2.97 ERA. In his 91 innings he has given up 67 hits while striking out 97.

Zach Jackson – LHP – Texas A&M

Zach Jackson is a junior college transfer from the Louisville area who has done a very good job for the Aggies this season (10-3 with a 3.02 ERA). He is a lefty that features both a two seam and four seam fastball. His fastball is clocked as high as 92, but usually is in the 88-91 range. When Jackson is on he will go right after hitters, mixing his pitches well, while hitting his spots. He also throws a slider and changeup and has good command of those pitches as well.

Josh Fields – 3rd Baseman – R/R – Oklahoma State University

Josh Fields is one of the more intriguing position prospects in the draft, plus he plays a position that the Sox lack depth in (Schnurstein is their only good 3rd base prospect). Fields has stated that he wants to play baseball full time, but he is a two sport player and is Oklahoma State’s starting quarterback (55 TD’s in his career). Fields is still a work in progress, but does have a strong enough arm to play 3rd base and his footwork is improving. He projects as one of the best raw power hitters in the draft and has very quick hands. He also could hit for a good average, although some scouts believe he will struggle to make contact (personally I disagree). Fields should take off when he plays baseball full time, but as Sox fans know from Borchard, there is a risk in taking a two sport star. However, one advantage is that the Sox can spread the contract over 5 years because he is a two sport player. This season Fields is hitting .352 with 6 HR and 36 RBI.

B.J. Szymanski – OF – S/R – Princeton

Like Fields, Szymanski is a two way player. B.J. is in just his second season of college baseball as he specifically played football his freshman year at Princeton. He caught 44 passes for 823 yards last season for the Tigers. Unlike Fields, Szymanski plays a position of depth in the Sox organization. However, it is my opinion that a team should draft the best available player regardless of the organizational depth and Szymanski could very well fit that bill.

He is a true 5-tool player that is still very raw. He has flashed big time power potential, a good eye, a strong arm, and has good speed (6.45 60 YD Dash according to Baseball America). He is also very strong and lanky (6’5, 205). Szymanski has been compared to Rocco Baldelli by his college coach, although he projects to have more power then Baldelli. This season he is hitting .378 with 6 HR, 8 triples and 48 RBI.

My Pick: B.J. Szymanski/David Purcey

Despite the Sox depth in the outfield (Brian Anderson, Ryan Sweeney, Jeremy Reed, and Joe Borchard) you can’t pass up on a prospect like Szymanski. He is capable of doing amazing things at the major league level and would be the only one of the Sox top prospects that truly would project as a centerfielder.

David Purcey would be who I selected if I went with a pitcher. He is a big strong left hander who has a lot of potential. While he is a bit of a project, he could be the next C.C. Sabathia and has been making tremendous strides since playing in the Cap Cod league this past summer.

I love Fields and think it would be great if we drafted him. One note on him is that a lot of teams don't pitch to him so that's why he doesn't have as many HR's or RBI's as other hitters in the draft.

Good stuff Jason, however, I think only Syzmanski, Purcey, and Fields will be available with our pick. I would be thrilled with any of the above. 2 catchers that I hope we give a serious look later on are Jason Jaramillo of OSU and Chris Ianetta at UNC.

This is from BA about Jaramillo

"Jaramillo is solid in all phases in the game, which is why he'll likely go in the second round as the first college catcher. He combats the running game with solid arm strength, a quick release and an accurate arm. "

This is about Ianetta

"Iannetta has a short, compact stroke and a mature approach to hitting, leading to consistent, hard contact. His other tools are unspectacular, but he's an average receiver and has an average arm that might play up a bit because of his quick release. "

I don't know where they get average arm and average receiver for Iannetta, considering he threw out 24 of 26 runners this year. He's gonna be a solid one.

By Jason Gage

May 29, 2004

FutureSox.com

The MLB Amateur draft starts on June 7th and the Chicago White Sox will have a great opportunity to further improve their minor league system. In the most recent draft the White Sox did a tremendous job adding outfield talent (Brian Anderson, Ryan Sweeney, Ricardo Nanita) as well as some good looking middle infielders (Robert Valido, Antoin Gray). The one area the Sox struggled to add was starting pitching. However, the Sox lower levels do have some good arms (Brandon McCarthy, Daniel Haigwood, Ryan Rodriguez, Brian Miller, Sean Tracey).

This time around the White Sox have seven picks in the first three rounds. They pick 18th overall in the 1st round and then have two sandwich picks (supplemental for the losses of Bartolo Colon and Tom Gordon). The sandwich picks are 34th overall and 38th overall. The White Sox also have 3 second round picks (53rd overall, 59th overall, and 69th overall) and then have one 3rd round pick (89th overall).

All of these early picks should give the White Sox a great opportunity to add some quality arms and a bat or two. The reason I say quality arms is because this is a pitching heavy draft and it’s a college heavy draft early on. The top picks should be college pitchers, starting with Jared Weaver and Jeff Nieneman. Nieneman, from Rice, appears to have a higher ceiling then Weaver who has been fantastic all season long for Long Beach State. Weaver is putting up numbers similar to Mark Prior, but shouldn’t be compared to Prior who has a little better stuff. However, Weaver has very good control and knows how to pitch. Nieneman, on the other hand, had some early season injury concerns but has tremendous stuff.

Either way none of these players will be available when the White Sox pick, however they should have their pick of a few quality college pitchers as well as some pretty talented position players.

The following are players that are projected to be taken sometime around the White Sox 1st round selection:

Justin Orenduff – RHP – Virginia Commonwealth

Orenduff features a good sinking fastball, changeup, and slider. He has a nice smooth delivery that is easily repeated resulting in good control of all three pitches. He is the second best pitcher in Virginia, behind Justin Verlander. Orenduff pitched well for Team USA this off-season and is 4-5 with a 2.93 ERA this season. Thus far this season he has pitched 89 innings giving up 74 hits while striking out 114.

David Purcey – LHP – University of Oklahoma

Purcey is a big, strong, left hander (6-5, 240) that was drafted last year by the New York Yankees in the 17th round (Purcey was a draft eligible sophomore) but the Yankees failed to sign him. For the past few years Purcey was known as a one pitch pitcher (low-to-mid 90’s fastball) but he has since improved his curveball and has further improved his control. Purcey isn’t going to be the 1st LHP selected, but he does possess the best left handed arm. He is still rather raw for a college pitcher, but has tremendous upside. Baseball America reported that the White Sox have shown some interest in him. He is 6-4 with a 2.97 ERA. In his 91 innings he has given up 67 hits while striking out 97.

Zach Jackson – LHP – Texas A&M

Zach Jackson is a junior college transfer from the Louisville area who has done a very good job for the Aggies this season (10-3 with a 3.02 ERA). He is a lefty that features both a two seam and four seam fastball. His fastball is clocked as high as 92, but usually is in the 88-91 range. When Jackson is on he will go right after hitters, mixing his pitches well, while hitting his spots. He also throws a slider and changeup and has good command of those pitches as well.

Josh Fields – 3rd Baseman – R/R – Oklahoma State University

Josh Fields is one of the more intriguing position prospects in the draft, plus he plays a position that the Sox lack depth in (Schnurstein is their only good 3rd base prospect). Fields has stated that he wants to play baseball full time, but he is a two sport player and is Oklahoma State’s starting quarterback (55 TD’s in his career). Fields is still a work in progress, but does have a strong enough arm to play 3rd base and his footwork is improving. He projects as one of the best raw power hitters in the draft and has very quick hands. He also could hit for a good average, although some scouts believe he will struggle to make contact (personally I disagree). Fields should take off when he plays baseball full time, but as Sox fans know from Borchard, there is a risk in taking a two sport star. However, one advantage is that the Sox can spread the contract over 5 years because he is a two sport player. This season Fields is hitting .352 with 6 HR and 36 RBI.

B.J. Szymanski – OF – S/R – Princeton

Like Fields, Szymanski is a two way player. B.J. is in just his second season of college baseball as he specifically played football his freshman year at Princeton. He caught 44 passes for 823 yards last season for the Tigers. Unlike Fields, Szymanski plays a position of depth in the Sox organization. However, it is my opinion that a team should draft the best available player regardless of the organizational depth and Szymanski could very well fit that bill.

He is a true 5-tool player that is still very raw. He has flashed big time power potential, a good eye, a strong arm, and has good speed (6.45 60 YD Dash according to Baseball America). He is also very strong and lanky (6’5, 205). Szymanski has been compared to Rocco Baldelli by his college coach, although he projects to have more power then Baldelli. This season he is hitting .378 with 6 HR, 8 triples and 48 RBI.

My Pick: B.J. Szymanski/David Purcey

Despite the Sox depth in the outfield (Brian Anderson, Ryan Sweeney, Jeremy Reed, and Joe Borchard) you can’t pass up on a prospect like Szymanski. He is capable of doing amazing things at the major league level and would be the only one of the Sox top prospects that truly would project as a centerfielder.

David Purcey would be who I selected if I went with a pitcher. He is a big strong left hander who has a lot of potential. While he is a bit of a project, he could be the next C.C. Sabathia and has been making tremendous strides since playing in the Cap Cod league this past summer.

Enjoyed the article Jason :headbang

Is Fields anykind of NFL prospect?

From what I read he would be a later round selection. He has been very good for the Cowboys though.

Some scouts feel he's a little too small to be a pro qb. He is 6'2 but it could be one of those 6'2 where he's really 6 ft.

Also, each day I'm going to do another draft preview. The next one will focus on some players that should be available during the sandwich round (The Sox have two selections then) and then the following day will be in regards to the 3 2nd round players and then the following day one on random players I like that could be taken later.

From what I read he would be a later round selection.  He has been very good for the Cowboys though. 

Some scouts feel he's a little too small to be a pro qb.  He is 6'2 but it could be one of those 6'2 where he's really 6 ft. 

Also, each day I'm going to do another draft preview.  The next one will focus on some players that should be available during the sandwich round (The Sox have two selections then) and then the following day will be in regards to the 3 2nd round players and then the following day one on random players I like that could be taken later.

I am thinking after the whole Borchard thing, that the Sox will avoid a guy like Fields if it means that they will have to give him a bigger bonus to keep him away from the NFL. We seem to be having better luck with just taking the best guys out there.

I am thinking after the whole Borchard thing, that the Sox will avoid a guy like Fields if it means that they will have to give him a bigger bonus to keep him away from the NFL.  We seem to be having better luck with just taking the best guys out there.

But since he's a two sport player you can spread the bonus around or something along those lines.

Plus Fields has made up his mind to play baseball. This wasn't the case with Borchard. Borchard had no problem sticking around another year and playing football. As a 1st round pick, Fields will get a lot more guaranteed money then a 5th to 6th round pick in the NFL who will take a chance of beating.

My thought is you can't not fire the trigger on a guy because something similar didn't work out a previous time. That would of been like not getting Colon last year cause the last time you gave up a few pitchers for one it ended up biting you in the ass (see the Ritchie trade).

With the way Joe Crede has been hittin lately, I think Fields would be a good selection if he's still available, but we should take the best player that's left, not what we need position wise. Personally I'd prefer us to select a pitcher 1st, and go afta mainly pitchin early, but if sum1 like Szymanski is the best left, u take him. ;)

Yeah Jason thats a great idea. I just have been wanting to post that info about the catchers somewhere, and thought might as well be on this thread.

Its almost a no brainer for Fields to turn down the NFL, nevermind the questions about his size. Normally players that are thought of as highly in baseball as they are in football, turn down football. They know its much less injury plagued and you can have a longer career in baseball than in football with less repercussions later in life. But one thing that could hurt is that next years QB class for the NFL draft is very weak overall. I still think they can draft him and negotiate and take the supplemental pick next year if somehow he demands too much. Another thing we are going to have to think about is money, we are going to have to draft a few players early on that will sign easily.