Is Shingo Rookie of the year

WSoxShuf

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im also new, I heard about this on the MLB boards, which are horrible, whats wsi, i never heard of it.

It's another whitesox site for fans (but this one is way better :headbang)

As a matter of fact, never heard of it till about october of last year. I was a former poster on the aol boards way back when. (I was the first to say that Carlso Beltran would be a stud :) :D)

It will be don't worry, or Joe Mauer if he gets hot. If Shingo was playing for the Yankees, then you would hav an argument.  ;)

Mauer was the bset bet but got hurt AGAIN. Crosby is good. But if Shingo saves 25 ballgames and has a 1 something ERA he sould get a look. The 3rd baseman for the Orioles is going nuts too

I still believe that a player who has played in the majors somewhere else, shouldn't be allowed to win ROY.  Either that or establish an age limit.

I agree with the first part, but an age limit for ROY is going way too far. I have no problem if someone who's been in the minors for 20 years becomes a stud in the majors, as unlikely as that sounds.

Why has no one mentioned Lew Ford's name?

From what I read on Baseball-Almanac'ssite for rookie of the year's, he should be...here is an excerpt...

"Eligibility requirements were set forth in 1971 and a rookie was formally defined as a player with less than one-hundred thirty at-bats, a pitcher with less than fifty innings pitched, or anyone with less than forty-five days on any Major League roster."

Unless he was up for 45 days, he should be a rookie. Last year he only played in 34 games and had 73 AB's. If he is a rookie, his .308 12 47 .876 should definately be considered, and IMO is the best.

If Ford truly is a rookie, there is not much of an argument for Crosby. The only thing he has better then Ford is homers(14-12). Ford beats him in average(308-268), in RBI(47-41), in runs(52-44), SBs(13-6), CS(1-3), BB's(36-27), K's(43-81), OBP(.383-.329), SLG%(.493-.470), and OPS(.876-.799).

I hate to sound like I'm on the Twins bandwagon...because quite frankly, I'm not...but Lew Ford is having one hell of a season.

I agree with the first part, but an age limit for ROY is going way too far. I have no problem if someone who's been in the minors for 20 years becomes a stud in the majors, as unlikely as that sounds.

Why is it going too far? IIRC, the NHL has an age limit for rookies(I believe 26). Why can't the majors? Because maybe Jamie Burke or Ryan Newhan, who have spent nearly their entire career in the minors, come up and play very well?

I wouldn't mind an age limit. There's nothing wrong with that IMO.

Victor Martinez gets my vote too. Catchers are the most underated players in the game and to do what he's doing offensively as well as being behind the dish, it's amazing for a rookie.

I agree they are the most underated, but the most important. He is also my top pick, then it would be ford.

If Mauer did not get hurt this season, he would get the award hands down. He is that good for a 21 year old.

The way Mauer has developed is stranger then hell. In his entire minor league career, he hit 9 homers, and his season high was 4. This year, in not even half a year, he has 5.

He is real damn good...being up here in ND, watching him play, it is insane...you can just tell this kid is going to be a stud. He looks very good at the plate for a 21-year old...looks almost like he's a veteran. He will be a force to be reckoned with for 20 years or so.

Mauer, then Prior, then Brazelton, 1-2-3...that was one stacked draft.

I think Shingo should be in contention. HOWEVER, i would not vote for him for the same reason i didnt think Matsui should have won it (and he didnt). These guys arent rookies. The ROY award is an honor and as such it should be given to the most deserved rookie. These guys played professional baseball for years, and dam good pro ball at that. They are in a new league, but in my eyes, they arent really "rookies"