Latest scoop on Mets-Bucs-Sox deal

YASNY

I hate to prey on Magg's injury, but from the Sox standpoint, that is the best thing that could have happened for those thinking past this season and his chances of staying a Sox.

I know what you mean. Maggs is my favorite player, and I hate seeing him get hurt, but I'd rather see him hurt and resign with the Sox than stay healthy and leave.

Of course the ideal would be stay healthy, lead the Sox to a ring, and resign but...

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It may or may not happen.  But to to consider Sweeney a 50/50 chance to make the big leagues at age 19 in class A ball is a stretch. I 'll give yo 30/70 on those odds.  And then to think he'll be an impact player at this point, I'd say 10/90 against.

When Magglio Ordonez was 19 he hit .216 in the first of 3 seasons of A ball. He was an impact player by the time he was 24. I'll guarantee you Sweeney has played less baseball in his 19 years of life than Magglio had at the same point. Obviously, this means nothing about future progress, but this guy has talent, and should get a lot better. His average and power have increased as the season has gone on, and he has adjusted to wooden bats. Getting rid of guys like this for anything less than a sure thing, something Floyd is far from, is stupid. If Sweeney develops like many feel he will, he will be a bargain for several seasons. I am so happy this "deal" wasn't true. I'd love to take you up on your 10 to 1 Sweeney becomes an impact player bet.

Mabye im looking at it from the wrong way, but I think this is one of the worst things. Now I think the Sox just have an excuess not to sign him. They can just play the, "well, with this recent injury, we dont know how his health is going to be in the future." Card(which is a good card to play, becasue its true.)

Personally, I'd go after Lance Berkman and Carl Pavano. Both would help this team in two big parts we need help in (sorry, that didn't make a lot of sense): Left-handed balance to the lineup, and pitching.

I know what you mean. Maggs is my favorite player, and I hate seeing him get hurt, but I'd rather see him hurt and resign with the Sox than stay healthy and leave.

Of course the ideal would be stay healthy, lead the Sox to a ring, and resign but...

offer him (mags) a nice big contract for one yr. let mags regain his health and show the rest of the league he is healthy and then trade him......... like this we don't have our backs against the wall.

Personally, I'd go after Lance Berkman and Carl Pavano.  Both would help this team in two big parts we need help in (sorry, that didn't make a lot of sense):  Left-handed balance to the lineup, and pitching.

Berkman is almost a lock to stay in Houston from all acounts. Pavano would be nice though.

I like the idea of offering Maggs a one year deal, but I don't like the idea of trading him when he gets healthy. We're not going to get fair value for him. My vote is offer him 1 year somewhere between 6 and 10 mil or giving him arbitration. I also wouldn't mind offering him a reasonable long term deal, something like 4 years for $40 mil.

There was a different, less productive Craig Wilson that played for the Sox back in the early or mid ninties.

Late nineties, I know for sure he played in 99. I always assumed that this was one and the same. I still believe ours had that kickass ML debut. Wonder what happened to him.

if we were going to get floyd, i would want to have 2 of the following prospect to be added with wilson, p - capps, starling, cat - cuffman, cf - mcLouth

my choice would be cf mclouth and starling. mclouth can be the leadoff hitter of the old school, get on base, steal base and sometimes hit a homer. starling on the other hand is a strike per inning kind of guy.

if we were going to get floyd, i would want to have 2 of the following prospect to be added with wilson, p - capps, starling, cat - cuffman,  cf - mcLouth

my choice would be cf mclouth and starling. mclouth can be the leadoff hitter of the old school, get on base, steal base and sometimes hit a homer. starling on the other hand is a strike per inning kind of guy.

The trade is already done.

Gammons was just on ESPN.

He said that last night, a trade was nearly made, the three-way deal, and Sweeney WAS the prospect going, but now - it looks like it will just be the Mets and Pitt making the deal without the Sox involved.

Who knows, though.

Read somewhere that Pittsburgh pulled out of the deal cause they didn't like the prospect they were getting from the Sox.

Let me see if i can find the Link

that was before sweeney was being mention.

think of a prospect name borchard that was being mention before.