Phil Rogers: Rangers might ask for Garland

Mr. Showtime

Not anymore.  :lolhitting

Dumb bastard just doesn't give up.  For someone with a tremendous knowledge of baseball Brando continues to expose himself as an idiot..  This has to be the 6th alias named banned from this guy. 

Here's a suggestion comrade:  Find another f***ing site to post.  All you had to do was honor your suspension last month and everything would have been fine.  Instead you decided to flaunt rules, slap the administrators in the face, and create numerous covert identities. 

If it were up to me, only way I would allow him to post again is if he publically apologized to the entire Soxtalk community.  That way his dignity is hurt and any time he acts like a moron the thread could be bumped.

I don't think that would even do it now...

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not anymore.  :lolhitting

Dumb bastard just doesn't give up.  For someone with a tremendous knowledge of baseball Brando continues to expose himself as an idiot..  This has to be the 6th alias named banned from this guy. 

Here's a suggestion comrade:  Find another f***ing site to post.  All you had to do was honor your suspension last month and everything would have been fine.  Instead you decided to flaunt rules, slap the administrators in the face, and create numerous covert identities. 

If it were up to me, only way I would allow him to post again is if he publically apologized to the entire Soxtalk community.  That way his dignity is hurt and any time he acts like a moron the thread could be bumped.

THIS is the good post in this thread. :cheers

Soriano has had comparable numbers to Uribe this year, no doubt about it. But you also have to remember that in both 2002 and 2003 he hit in the .290-.300 range and he hit right around 40 homers and stole right around 35-40 bags. The strangest thing is that his numbers have suffered this year, and he is in a better hitter's park. Methinks he feasted on the crappy teams of the AL East(Baltimore, Tampa Bay, and even Toronto), and he used those short porches in both LF and RF in Yankee Stadium to his advantage. That also makes me think that he could be a perfect player for our team...a guy who beats up on mediocre pitching? Hell yes, bring him on.

Except that the reason he is performing poorly this year (in a hitter's park, for crying out loud) is that he was exposed last year in the playoffs as someone you could get out consistently by throwing the ball outside. He hasn't adjusted this year and seems pretty rockheaded. I think we've already seens the best from A. Soriano.

As for Crawford and his .329 OBP....ugh. The difference between a guy with a .370 OBP and a .329 OBP is pretty big, even if the guy with the .370 OBP doesn't steal any bases. Crawford has been caught stealing 15 times, wiping out the benefits of 30 of his stolen bases (every time you get caught stealing, you add an out and take away a base). So his 50 out of 65 success rate only adds 20 bases to Tampa Bay over the course of a year. A guy who gets on base at a .370 clip in the leadoff hole will get on base roughly 25-30 times more than Crawford over the course of a year...easily reversing any benefit caused by Crawford's stolen base edge.

And, Crawford plays left field, a position where you can afford to have a guy like Carlos Lee who has a .300/.365/.500 line...clearly more valuable than Crawford. A lineup of 9 Crawfords scores 5.6 runs per game. A lineup of Carlos Lees scores 6.9 runs per game. That's a big difference in run production.

No way can we make that deal. Ozzie doesn't want a Soriano type player. He wants players who can get on base. We don't need anymore swing for the fences, strike out 100 times player. There is a reason we are getting rid of Jose Valentin.

I'm not ready to depend on a rotation that has Grilli and Diaz in it next year which is what we would have. Please don't be fooled we would be taken to the cleaners if this deal is done.

Soriano isn't neccesarily the answer, but I think he might be able to bring us the answer. If we could get him for Garland, we could probably spin him off for some other players. Soriano has got to have more trade value than Garland. Huff would definitely be sweet if he could play third, that guy is a dangerous lefthanded hitter and gets Crede out of the lineup.

Sox are looking at Garcia-Contreras-Buehle-FA acquisition to be the best 1-4 in the majors or just about, so needless to say, their 2004 production is not getting it done.

And don't get me started on Jon "6.00 ERA since May" Garland. Highly replaceable, and if Texas is stupid enough top give up Soriano after a "down" year, then I am all for it.

Isn't there already a trillian?

Soriano's skills on the offense side would fit in with "Ozzie ball". While he might not contact as much as others, his unique blend of speed and power would. Few players in either league have both tools that Soriano would bring.

My only question is would his defense be serviceable enough. I don't know.

Soriano's skills on the offense side would fit in with "Ozzie ball". While he might not contact as much as others, his unique blend of speed and power would. Few players in either league have both tools that Soriano would bring.

My only question is would his defense be serviceable enough. I don't know.

Where would Soriano hit though. Would we put him back as a leadoff hitter, or keep him in the #3 spot?

Where would Soriano hit though. Would we put him back as a leadoff hitter, or keep him in the #3 spot?

He could hit leadoff as he avg'd .295/ .338/ .500 in 02 and 03 in NY. With his ability to steal bases and disrupt pitchers, that should be the best spot for him [provided the Sox didn't land a leadoff hitter with a higher OBP, which I'd like--though it's likely Soriano's BB's will increase even further]. #3 he'd hit in front of Frank. Not many running chances there.

Oh I am sure there is, silly.    Big world out there.

Soriano? Tremendeous upside, marketable name.  Worth taking a gamble on if you're the Sox.  I've seen enough of Garland this year.

I swear, of the last 10 or so users to register on this site, Brando is like 7 of them. Check this guy out. :D

we are going to have holes to fill, sariano is going for arb and so is garland. if sariano is going to make some 8 mil, do you think we should spend what ever money is allotted there and not address a problem sign 2 pitchers to help, one of which will be garland???

Buehrle, Garcia, Contreras, and Diaz will all be starters here next season. Garland would be the fourth starter. If we sign a FA, we'd be fine. I just wonder what it'd take to get Soriano, I'll hold judgement off until then.

I definently like to see Grilli and Diaz battle it out for a spot unless we sign a pitcher via free agency.

I know the Devilrays outfielders have been mentioned in this thread. FYI, according to the notes I get on them thru my fantasy team, Baldelli, Crawford AND Huff have had contract negotiations on long term contracts halted. Baldelli was supposedly offered a contract and turned it down, no mention if the other two got offers, just that talks of extensions have stopped. Looks like any of the three could be had for the right deal.

I know the Devilrays outfielders have been mentioned in this thread.  FYI, according to the notes I get on them thru my fantasy team, Baldelli, Crawford AND Huff have had contract negotiations on long term contracts halted.  Baldelli was supposedly offered a contract and turned it down, no mention if the other two got offers, just that talks of extensions have stopped.  Looks like any of the three could be had for the right deal.

For the right deal means alot of talent because they are pretty damn young.

For the right deal means alot of talent because they are pretty damn young.

I thought someone put out a stat that even though Crawford has 30+ SBs, he's been caught stealing 15 times or so. Is that true?

And if it is, his value of stealing the thirty bases isn't worth the amount of times he gets caught. Add in the fact that his OBP isn't very high (Harris has a higher one than he does) - and he's not that great of a leadoff hitter...

I thought someone put out a stat that even though Crawford has 30+ SBs, he's been caught stealing 15 times or so.  Is that true?

And if it is, his value of stealing the thirty bases isn't worth the amount of times he gets caught.  Add in the fact that his OBP isn't very high (Harris has a higher one than he does) - and he's not that great of a leadoff hitter...

He has fifty stolen bases and been caught 15 times. His numbers have improved all around this year who says they won't again next year. He is only 23.

Yall who are clammoring for Soriano must be really bumming that Valentin won't be back next year.

Makes sense to me to trade valuable pitching for a bad fielding, poor OBP infielder.

That's what I'm saying. We've been talking for a month about how this team needs to built around pitching, defense, situational hitters, etc and to get away from the power right handed hitters. So ... everyone thinks we should trade a good young pitcher with a very high upside for Rh hitting, high K, defensive liablity slugger.

Makes sense to me.