Phil Rogers: Rangers might ask for Garland

Mr. Showtime

From today's Trib:

After the season, don't be surprised if Texas tries to induce the White Sox into Jon Garland-Alfonso Soriano discussions. As dangerous a hitter as Soriano is, his chronic hacking (108 strikeouts, 29 walks) and erratic fielding frustrate his managers. He's barely a better offensive player than Juan Uribe.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soriano for Garland is a no brainer that would be a absolute steal. :headbang

How do you figure?

If that trade were to transpire, Sox would enter next season with 2 vacant spots within their starting rotation. Do you believe JR would spend the money for two quality starters? Likely not. Which means another year of 5th starter woes.

If there's one question mark I'd look to avoid its the starting rotation. Harris/Uribe platoon at 2B is a satisfactory (cheap) combination for 2005.

How do you figure?

If that trade were to transpire, Sox would enter next season with 2 vacant spots within their starting rotation.  Do you believe JR would spend the money for two quality starters?  Likely not.  Which means another year of 5th starter woes. 

If there's one question mark I'd look to avoid its the starting rotation.  Harris/Uribe platoon at 2B is a satisfactory (cheap) combination for 2005.

I agree.

Plus, I hate to keep harping on it, but Jon is only 24 - and still providing pretty good numbers for a fifth starter, which he will be next season.

Soriano is the type of player we need least - he'll hit his home runs, but then he'll strike out over 100 times. We need OBP and contact, not a guy who barely makes contact. Especially not at the expense of a pretty solid, young, cheap pitcher.

Interesting.

I think for me at least, I want to look at the numbers a little more, but Soriano>Uribe.

No No No...Soriano and Uribe >>>>>>>> Jose and Uribe/Harris.

Holy s*** would I be exstatic. I have no idea what else the Sox would have to give up though, cause it ain't gonna be Jon G for Soriano straight up, but he's a freaking STUD offensively.

How do you figure?

If that trade were to transpire, Sox would enter next season with 2 vacant spots within their starting rotation.  Do you believe JR would spend the money for two quality starters?  Likely not.  Which means another year of 5th starter woes. 

If there's one question mark I'd look to avoid its the starting rotation.  Harris/Uribe platoon at 2B is a satisfactory (cheap) combination for 2005.

Because Soriano's prodcution will be greater then Maggs production. He's also younger and plays a position that is damn near impossible to duplicate the production Alfonso can put up.

He'll also be doing it for less than Maggs could. Essentially you even have the option of moving Willie into the OF, but I'm sure it means one of PK and Lee would be moved somewhere else.

However, this move should still give them the money to add two more pitchers. Elo as the 5th (I know most won't like that) and a good pitcher in as well.

However, you gotta know that someone else would be going to Texas and I'm assuming this is not a deal that would be made now, but in the offseason. I doubt Soriano passed through waivers.

We have 1 vacant spot in the rotation already, if we trade garland we have 2 vacant spots. I'm pretty sure kenny is going to sign atleast 1 starter in the offseason, maybe if this trade went down, he could trade lee or pauly for another starter too. That deal really is to good to pass up, however we'd need to find 2 starters to fill these holes.

We have 1 vacant spot in the rotation already, if we trade garland we have 2 vacant spots.  I'm pretty sure kenny is going to sign atleast 1 starter in the offseason, maybe if this trade went down, he could trade lee or pauly for another starter too.  That deal really is to good to pass up, however we'd need to find 2 starters to fill these holes.

I think thats what would happen and you would insert, most likely, a first baseman that would be a left handed hitter, that or the Sox would get a left handed hitting left fielder, which isn't impossible.

Hell, pick up Jacque Jones and Soriano for Garland and FA money. Then in turn, deal Lee or Konerko for a starting pitcher (you could definately do that...hell, I bet Seattle would give up Pineiro if your willing to take the chance he comes back) and then you sign a FA pitcher. Think, Piniero is cheap, while the FA pitcher costs money. Salary goes up, but you get Maggs contract off the books, Koch's, etc. Add a bullpen arm or two and your good.

Outfield Jones and Rowand, plus you could stick Soriano out there and keep Willie/Uribe in the middle infield or find another bat like Reggie Sanders (just a cheap veteran signing or you could have Gload play left all season) or what not.

I think thats what would happen and you would insert, most likely, a first baseman that would be a left handed hitter, that or the Sox would get a left handed hitting left fielder, which isn't impossible.

Hell, pick up Jacque Jones and Soriano for Garland and FA money.  Then in turn, deal Lee or Konerko for a starting pitcher (you could definately do that...hell, I bet Seattle would give up Pineiro if your willing to take the chance he comes back) and then you sign a FA pitcher.  Think, Piniero is cheap, while the FA pitcher costs money.  Salary goes up, but you get Maggs contract off the books, Koch's, etc.  Add a bullpen arm or two and your good. 

Outfield Jones and Rowand, plus you could stick Soriano out there and keep Willie/Uribe in the middle infield or find another bat like Reggie Sanders (just a cheap veteran signing or you could have Gload play left all season) or what not.

You have so many good ideas, I just wish they'd come true. ;)

We have 1 vacant spot in the rotation already, if we trade garland we have 2 vacant spots.  I'm pretty sure kenny is going to sign atleast 1 starter in the offseason, maybe if this trade went down, he could trade lee or pauly for another starter too.  That deal really is to good to pass up, however we'd need to find 2 starters to fill these holes.

We can sign lets say brett tomko, glendon rusch, elmer dessens for the same or less than garland will be making next year. They will put up the same numbers if not better. Then you go and sign a top notch pitcher.

Soriano is an interesting name, and would be well worth Garland. Its a question of whether his attitude and performance on the field fit with Ozzie's style of play. Ozzie, Cora and Santana should be able to get a good read on him whether he's worth the investment or not, with the Latin connection. His errors [though his range and zone ratings are similar to both Uribe and Willie] and high K total do worry me a bit. [but his avg, and power would offset losing Jose, Maggs and possibly Lee.]

He'd likely be in the leadoff spot where he was for NY. He should be penciled in for .295/ .335/ .500. Also give him 30-40 SB's. [He batted in the 3rd spot most of the yr, not a lot of SB opportunities in this spot].

Jim H has convinced me Willie probably won't be around in '05. So this could happen. Esp. as the Sox don't have many young position players to build around. With OFers a strength in the minors [Anderson and Sweeney] an IFer like Soriano could make sense. As he's arb. eligible, the sox wouldn't have to sign him long term, and would have a year or two to see how he's doing with the Sox. If he tanks, then the Sox could trade him before he became a FA for very good talent.

I wouldnt touch Milton. Has been the luckiest pitcher in the leauge this year. If Garland had his kind of run support, we wouldnt be talking about trading him to Texas.

More home runs given up than any other pitcher this year. That's just what we need at U.S. Cellular. ;)