Timo "Broken Clock" Perez

Gene Honda Civic

You can't deny that consistency.  It's not just a coincidence that he puts up almost the exact same offensive numbers in about 40 games in one batting slot.  But, argue on if you must.

That's 273 out of 1302 AB's --

There's still 1000+ AB's where he's rolling up a .650 OPS -- Woo-hoo, sign me up.

"So overall what have we learned?"

That Timo's job is being a bench player and nothing more, while coming in in RISP or bunting opportunity's. I don't see how you can hate him for doing his job.

Timo is great at the plate in clutch situations. But the guy is lazy and inattentive. If it isn't a pressure situation, or a routine play in the OF, he doesn't care. That bothers me. I have seen him turn singles into doubles, and doubles into triples on enough occasions while he was playing the OF to convince me that I never wanted to see him out there again.

timo sux. look at the stats. .694 OPS is a joke. 20 career stolen bases and 19 caught stealing.  he's 5th OF material.

Timo doesn't suck. He does his job, and he does a damn good job of it. Timo wasn't brought here to be our starting RFer. He came here to be a stick off the bench that's good in clutch situations, and he's hitting almost .400 in it. Someones slumping and we got 2nd and 3rd with 2 outs, I'd put Timo out there.

He wasn't brought here to steal bases either. He wasn't brought here for his OPS.

You can't complain about a guy that homers off of Benitez to tie a game and hits a two run single off Francisco Rodriguez to tie a game, both of which where late inning hits and both pitchers are studs.

They should come up with a stat that ranks a pitcher 1-10, 10 being the best, multiply a players hit by the pitchers multiplier then take the average. There are tons of hitters, Sosa, that get most their hits off scrubs and tons of players that step up against stud pitchers.

cool. since stats dont matter the sox are now in 1st place!

First, I never said stats don't matter I said they're not everything. Your 2nd statement makes no sense, because if you just look at individual statistics for the last couple of years you would think the sox did win the division every single year.

so you're saying the 50 at bats with RISP this year matters, but the 1200 other career at bats don't? ok.

no, you're saying, "so you're saying the 50 at bats with RISP this year matters, but the 1200 other career at bats don't? ok." if dude was really sayin what you say he's sayin, you could just use the quote function, not paraphrase poorly.

anyway, rowand's point, which is pretty commonsense, is that stats aren't necessarily definitive. that we've led the central in run differential for three consecutive years and gone to the playoffs 0.0 times illustrates said point. after all, run differential is generally considered the best measure of a winning team.

I don't usually pimp my blog here, but I thought that many of you should read this.  I finally broke down and did a hatchet job on Timo Perez. Any feedback welcome, I have thick skin.

http://ss***men.blogspot.com/

I agree for the most part with your article, except for the part about Timo taking playing time away from the "still developing" Joe Borhcard. Borchard is about as developed as he's going to be. Compared to Borchard Timo is the reincarnation of Babe Ruth.