what could have been

quade36

I know I know, we shouldn't reflect on the could haves, but if Frank and Maggs played a full season the power of this team would have been amazing. Its probably safe to say that Frank and Paully would both have over 40 HRs. If Carlos and Valentin both get one more HR they will both have over 30. So the Sox would have had two guys with 40 Hrs 3 more with 30 Hrs (Maggs included), and 3 more with over 20 Hrs. That would have been amazing.

Then again its the whole could have......

I know I know, we shouldn't reflect on the could haves, but if Frank and Maggs played a full season the power of this team would have been amazing.  Its probably safe to say that Frank and Paully would both have over 40 HRs.  If Carlos and Valentin both get one more HR they will both have over 30.  So the Sox would have had two guys with 40 Hrs 3 more with 30 Hrs (Maggs included), and 3 more with over 20 Hrs.  That would have been amazing.

Then again its the whole could have......

Yep, I think KW would have gone after and gotten Randy Johnson along with Contreras, maybe even a couple of other moves and made some real noise. Once Frank and Maggs went down, everyone knew that team was done and very few players had any interest in coming here.

I was thinking the other day about all of those trade rumors that were going around.

What if we did trade Maggs for Williamson and Nomar?

And then we traded Nomar for Perez, Mota, and a prospect?

And then we trade Jose to Seattle for Garcia?

Where would we be at if we had a 5 man rotation of:

Buehrle

Loaiza

Garcia

Perez

Garland?

Remember what Arizona's demands for RJohnson were? A CF, 3B, and a catcher.

What if we gave them Crede, Reed, Olivo, and a couple more prospects for Johnson and Shea Hillebrand?

Oh well....

I was thinking the other day about all of those trade rumors that were going around.

Buehrle

Loaiza

Garcia

Perez

Garland?

Remember what Arizona's demands for jJohnson was?  A CF, 3B, and a catcher. 

What if we gave them Crede, Reed, Olivo, and a couple more prospects for Johnson and Shea Hillebrand?

Oh well....

I like the rotation except for one thing...Loaiza. Add Contreras and minus Loaiza and OK.

Wouldn't have mattered. The way we've pitched in the second half, we don't deserve to be division champs no matter how good our offense is.

Hey Dude...love the sig!

I'm pretty excited about Josh Fields as well as Lucy. I think Lucy will be a damn good catcher down the road for the Sox.

stop talking about it, your making me cry

Why, we would have lost the division anyways. This has never been a 95 win team at any point in the season, and 95 wins will win the division...the Twins say so.

The only time you should cry about thinking what could have been was 2003. We had probably the best 1-2-3 in the AL(Colon-Buehrle-Loaiza would have mowed down the competition), and one of the most potent offenses as well, along with a pretty damn solid pen. That's that team I try not to think about anymore, because that team could have made a lot of damage in the postseason.

Buehrle

Loaiza

Garcia

Perez

Garland?

Remember what Arizona's demands for jJohnson was?  A CF, 3B, and a catcher. 

Oh well....

I'm prettty sure we wouldn't have gotten Mota and Perez and a prospect. I'm not 100% sure what potential deals we had in the works for Nomar, but I remember the big debated deal was Mota and Jackson/Miller for Maggs, and they really didn't want to give up Mota, especially with one of their stud prospects. Another potential was Thomas/Konerko/Lee for Perez. I doubt Nomar would have had enough value to get all 3, especially considering what he brought the Red Sox in the other deal(although the Dodgers didn't exactly look too bright giving up Lo Duca, Encarnacion and Mota for Penny. Admittedly it would have looked much better if they had gotten Randy Johnson using the prospects they got). IIRC the Red Sox didn't want to give up Williamson either, and we probably would have had to give up more than Jose for Freddy.

Speculating on stuff like this is really pointless, who knows what would have happened with the rest of the league if we made the deals, or if we would have been willing to do all of them?

Buehrle

Loaiza

Garcia

Perez

Garland?

Remember what Arizona's demands for RJohnson were?  A CF, 3B, and a catcher. 

Oh well....

Anyone who thinks that Seattle would of given us Jose for Garcia straight up is in some serious denial.

The Mariners aren't stupid you know.

The talent gap between Jose and Freddy is like the distance between the sun and the Earth.

In fact none of those trades arefeasable. Not only that Loazia still would of imploded anyway.

Anyone who thinks that Seattle would of given us Jose for Garcia straight up is in some serious denial.

The talent gap between Jose and Freddy is like the distance between the sun and the Earth.

In fact none of those trades arefeasable. Not only that Loazia still would of imploded anyway.

Um, that was a very real trade rumor in January/December. There were rumors of Garcia being non-tendered. Under those pretenses Garcia was being offered around for about anything they could get, with 3B and SS being their big askings. A Valentin for Garcia rumor was a very realistic deal.

Um, that was a very real trade rumor in January/December.  There were rumors of Garcia being non-tendered.  Under those pretenses Garcia was being offered around for about anything they could get, with 3B and SS being their big askings.  A Valentin for Garcia rumor was a very realistic deal.

I thought it was Jose, and Josh Fields, cause I know they wanted a left side of the infield prospect

SS2k is right on the money.

Jose was coming off a year where he hit like 28 homers, drove in 70 runs, played very good defense at SS, was in the last year of his deal, and even then was still affordable. Meanwhile, Garcia was going to given a raise in salary(which is less then what he will make next year, mind you) for having about his worst season ever. The Mariners were thinking that Piniero-Moyer-Franklin-Meche-5th starter(probably Villone or Mulholland) would have been good enough, and the fact that they actually had a good SS who could hit and play some defense along with a rock solid pen, including Shiggy in the 8th and Guardado in the 9th to close it out...they thought they would have looked real good going into the year.

Kind of crazy that the deal was, in all likelyhood, turned down by the Sox because they didn't have a SS to replace Jose with...we had no idea what Uribe or Harris would do, and the Sox needed insurance.

You think it sounds crazy because Garcia was flat out dominant in April and May with the Mariners, while Jose has been in a gigantic slump over the last 2 months, and has really shown that he is not the same player anymore...or atleast that pitchers have finally figured him out.

While the Mariners struggled mightily this year, they got lucky enough to prove one thing...you NEVER trade a player when his value is low...you trade players when their value is the lowest it will ever be, or when it is high. Basically, all that's saying is that Konerko was going to probably be available this offseason no matter what numbers he put up this year...the only thing that would change is what we would get for him. If he had another .235 20 60 .700 season, we'd get a bag of balls for him while paying part of his 2005 salary...as it is, we are looking at a very good package of players that we may end up getting for him.

.....Except for the fact that these rumors were all published in newspapers (except for the Johnson trade.) I didn't come up with these ideas off of the top of my head like the way you did of bringing back Koch. :headshake

That valentin for carlos guillen trade sure looks really good right about now. :angry:

What's even crazier to think about is that Carlos Guillen could very well be in Cleveland right now, but the Vizquel for Guillen trade got nixed or was vetoed by someone.

That would be scary. :o