Apparently, most sports fans dont think much of us

knightni

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The timing of that is kind of spooky, I was just going to start a thread about this.....

As I post this, Boston's on their way to lead the WS 3 games to 0.....The media has always said that Boston and the Cubs are the "two longest suffering teams, and when will their suffering end." If Boston doesn't pull a Yankee and ends up winning the series. Where's this put us?

Will the media start noticing that we are and have been the 2nd longest suffering team in baseball? I mean, it's great that we're not recognized for being a cursed team or a team that has a drought, though we do. However, sometimes you want to say "What about us?"

What do you guys think?

The timing of that is kind of spooky, I was just going to start a thread about this.....

As I post this, Boston's on their way to lead the WS 3 games to 0.....The media has always said that Boston and the Cubs are the "two longest suffering teams, and when will their suffering end."  If Boston doesn't pull a Yankee and ends up winning the series.  Where's this put us? 

Will the media start noticing that we are and have been the 2nd longest suffering team in baseball?  I mean, it's great that we're not recognized for being a cursed team or a team that has a drought, though we do.  However, sometimes you want to say "What about us?"

What do you guys think?

Nope we will never be recognized like that,imo, and I would never want to be either. The flubs and blowsox got those "cute" little curses because of all their whiny fans. I understand what you're saying how it's beyond annoying at times to hear all this bulls*** about the flubs and blowsox but I honestly don't want to be mentioned in the same sentence with the flubs or blowsox ever when it comes to that type of bulls***.

As I post this, Boston's on their way to lead the WS 3 games to 0.....The media has always said that Boston and the Cubs are the "two longest suffering teams, and when will their suffering end."  If Boston doesn't pull a Yankee and ends up winning the series.  Where's this put us? 

Will the media start noticing that we are and have been the 2nd longest suffering team in baseball?  I mean, it's great that we're not recognized for being a cursed team or a team that has a drought, though we do.  However, sometimes you want to say "What about us?"

What do you guys think?

They will begin to recognize us for share. But we won't get the love the cubs and red sox get. Which i could really care less about. The funny thing is we probally have the best excuse for a curse in the black sox scandal, and i have never heard anyone use that as an excuse thankfully.

What do you guys think?

The question posed in the article was which team would be next to end their World Series drought. Of the choices listed, the only team unlikely to win a World Series before the Sox is Cleveland. However, Cleveland does have a young core of talented ballplayers and have earned respect from their domination in the 90's.

20 years of Reinsdorf ownership with a measly three playoff appearances won't convince many we're next to win a WS.

Personally, I'm ashamed at our drought. At 31 years old, I have watched every WS since 1979. In that time we've suffered through Baltimore (twice), Yankees (eight), freaking Milwaukee!, Detroit, KC (twice), Boston (twice), Twins (twice), Oakland (three), Jays (twice), Cleveland (twice) and Anaheim.

Along with the Sox, the only AL non-WS teams are Seattle, Texas and Tampa. 8 teams have been there more than once. We're more than due, and I'm a little ashamed.

But I'm also proud. The media doesn't talk about curses because we don't bring them up. Why don't they mention Boston's reluctance to sign an African-American player longer than anyone...almost the whole Ted Williams era? You can't compete with a line-up like that (although Houston tried this year). They threw away a whole decade. The Cubs were similarly mismanaged, and now seem more intent on marketing mystique.

My point is, is that we realize we haven't won anything for non-curse reasons. Our ownership has been less than committed, our player evaluation and retention has, historically, been sub-par. The only HOF caliber players we have produced from our system since 1970 have been Gossage, Baines and Thomas. I like that we don't blame ourselves. It's not our fault and it's not by divine intervention that we fail. We're the only side of town that realizes that and our day will come. When it does, they'll be a lot more people around saying they were thinking White Sox in late October '04. Just ignore them.

The World Series was the last playoff series we've won?

Yeah. Lost the WS to the Dodgers in 59, lost the ALCS to Baltimore in 83, lost the ALCS to Toronto in 93, lost the ALDS to Seattle in 00.

We've been to the playoffs like 7 times in 103 years. To put it into perspective, that means the Braves have had almost twice as many division titles in a row then we have playoff appearances in a 100 year history. That's sad.