Apparently, most sports fans dont think much of us

knightni

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah.  Lost the WS to the Dodgers in 59, lost the ALCS to Baltimore in 83, lost the ALCS to Toronto in 93, lost the ALDS to Seattle in 00.

We've been to the playoffs like 7 times in 103 years.  To put it into perspective, that means the Braves have had almost twice as many division titles in a row then we have playoff appearances in a 100 year history.  That's sad.

:crying

Even so, we had a 3 1/2 game lead for the wildcard, plus the second best record in the AL behind the Yankees.

They did have a good shot that year. But alot of people think that they were gonna win it all that year when they may have not even gotten in the playoffs.

They did have a good shot that year. But alot of people think that they were gonna win it  all that year when they may have not even gotten in the playoffs.

That could have ended up being like 2003 in all actuality. Come that close, and then just miss it.

Not sure it would have happened...but it could have.

Actually thats not true.

The whole cubs mistique is the long suffering team who are overcoming adversary to win it all. If they ever do then I think most of the annoying bandwagoners would get bored with it and find something else to do. However I still think they could fill up that beer garden they call a ball field.

Our history as a franchise is pathetic, to say the least. I'll be 47 next week and still do not have a White Sox World Series in memory. This is one reason why some fans, like Cubkilla for example, are down on the Reinsdorf regime. We are approaching 25 years of ineptitude and still don't seem to have a solid plan in place to get into position to grab the brass ring. Someone said that poll didn't mean anything, but I feel that it speaks volumes. With our current ownership and methodology, most fans think the a White Sox world championship has only a very slim chance of happening. I can't say I disagree with them, either. I'm always hopeful, but logic tells me not to expect it anytime soon.

The reason why many accross the country don't think of the Sox in that fashion is because we aren't a flashy team. We aren't a team with a high salary. Heck, we aren't even a team built to win. There have not been a long line of complainers, both on the team and as fans. We as fans don't promote our team the way others do. We are not media friendly because there is just no story when it comes to the Sox. There has not been any great history, except for the Black Sox scandal. In my opinion, the Sox are American Baseball. A team that just goes out there to play baseball.

The reason why many accross the country don't think of the Sox in that fashion is because we aren't a flashy team.  We aren't a team with a high salary.  Heck, we aren't even a team built to win.  There have not been a long line of complainers, both on the team and as fans.  We as fans don't promote our team the way others do.  We are not media friendly because there is just no story when it comes to the Sox.  There has not been any great history, except for the Black Sox scandal.  In my opinion, the Sox are American Baseball.  A team that just goes out there to play baseball.

I don't see any of those teams winning it any time soon. But the one that has the best shot is Cleveland. I think the window of opportunity for the Cubs is closing rapidly. Give Cleveland 1 or 2 solid arms and they will win the Central and make some noise in the post season.

Yeah.  Lost the WS to the Dodgers in 59, lost the ALCS to Baltimore in 83, lost the ALCS to Toronto in 93, lost the ALDS to Seattle in 00.

We've been to the playoffs like 7 times in 103 years.  To put it into perspective, that means the Braves have had almost twice as many division titles in a row then we have playoff appearances in a 100 year history.  That's sad.

It's stuff like that that makes you really wonder how we fell in love with this team.... :lol:

The reason why many accross the country don't think of the Sox in that fashion is because we aren't a flashy team.  We aren't a team with a high salary.  Heck, we aren't even a team built to win.  There have not been a long line of complainers, both on the team and as fans.  We as fans don't promote our team the way others do.  We are not media friendly because there is just no story when it comes to the Sox.  There has not been any great history, except for the Black Sox scandal.  In my opinion, the Sox are American Baseball.  A team that just goes out there to play baseball.

good point about their being no story about the Sox.

Along with winning, the Sox need a SUPERSTAR. By that I mean not only a guy who puts up great numbers, but a guy who also has charm and personality about him and is great with the fans and media. Who was the last Sox player we had that fit that description?

Maggs? ZERO personality

Thomas? easily baited into putting his foot in his mouth by media many times.

Belle? HA.

McDowell? not really

Very few players in all of MLB fit the SUPERSTAR title any more, but it's one thing that would help the Sox, IMO.

good point about their being no story about the Sox.

Along with winning, the Sox need a SUPERSTAR. By that I mean not only a guy who puts up great numbers, but  a guy who also has charm and personality about him and is great with the fans and media. Who was the last Sox player we had that fit that description?

Maggs?  ZERO personality

Thomas? easily baited into putting his foot in his mouth by media many times.

Belle?  HA.

McDowell? not really

Very few players in all of MLB fit the SUPERSTAR title any more, but it's one thing that would help the Sox, IMO.

Barry Bonds is a superstar.....

Guest hawaiisoxfn

Thanks to all of you for your greetings. Ive been under this name at mlb for a while, but trolls and an unbelievable overload of political talk kind of scared me away. I participate in political talk, but when you have about four political threads for every sports related thread (of which every other one was either from a troll or something relating to the Cubs) it gets kind of old. No other board on mlb.com was like ours. Every other board had like two political threads and we had like twenty. Hopefully it will be different here.

A lot of these teams have made it to the WS recently due to the Wild Card. If this format was intact in the early '90s when we were in the AL West and battling Oakland all those years, who knows what could of happened...

Thanks to all of you for your greetings. Ive been under this name at mlb for a while, but trolls and an unbelievable overload of political talk kind of scared me away. I participate in political talk, but when you have about four political threads for every sports related thread (of which every other one was either from a troll or something relating to the Cubs) it gets kind of old. No other board on mlb.com was like ours. Every other board had like two political threads and we had like twenty. Hopefully it will be different here.

Avoid the Sex Lies and Politics board here then ;)

Welcome to Soxtalk! :cheers

Our history as a franchise is pathetic, to say the least.  I'll be 47 next week and still do not have a White Sox World Series in memory.  This is one reason why some fans, like Cubkilla for example, are down on the Reinsdorf regime.  We are approaching 25 years of ineptitude and still don't seem to have a solid plan in place to get into position to grab the brass ring.  Someone said that poll didn't mean anything, but I feel that it speaks volumes.  With our current ownership and methodology, most fans think the a White Sox world championship has only a very slim chance of happening.  I can't say I disagree with them, either.  I'm always hopeful, but logic tells me not to expect it anytime soon.

Well said. The Jerry Reinsdorf White Sox are a joke who've been in the playoffs 3 times during his ownership tenure and have won a total of 3 games during that span of 20+ years..... never winning one playoff series. '93 should have been the first of possibly many consecutive playoff appearances..... but the owners, led by our JR, put a stop to that in '94. Then JR waved his "White Flag" in '97. The fact that any baseball team would give up on a season in July being a series behind the first place team should be reason enough for "most sports fans....." to "..... not think much of us." Then there's the treatment given to one Carlton Fisk.

But hey..... at least JR usually gives us a >.500 team year in and year out. I really, truly hope fortunes change for the White Sox during the '04-'05 offseason and I would love nothing better than for the White Sox to enter ST with a team that excites me to the point where me and a few friends go out and buy season tickets. I'm definitely not going to hold my breath though. I'd sooner be dead.

Looking at the poll, I would agree that the Astros, Cubs, and Giants were all closer than us this year to the WS. We failed, in large part because of injuries to Maggs and Frank. Maggs probably will not sign, and Frank is still healing. How could anyone place one of those teams behind us?

I would have listed it as Astros, Cubs, Giants, Sox, Indians. With the Astros falling if Clemens retires and stays retired.