Vizquel to Sox-2 years, 8 mil?

shagar69

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was hoping for a two year deal in the $6 mil range, but it sounds like there is plenty of interest in Omar, so I am not surprised. 

We need a number two hitter badly, this is a good deal for the Sox.  PLus if he can rub anything off on Willie, this could be a huge shot in the arm.

vizquel will leadoff. isnt rowand our 2 hitter?

$ 4 million dollars for a still great fielding SS and a great leader with a solid average/OPB, is a good deal.  However, in the article, Gammons says "The White Sox have little money, and Ken Williams is starting at shortstop and trying to find a starter and an outfielder ... "  I hope he is wrong about the money part, but I think after we get Visquel we will go after Dye or Hidalgo and a solid starter.  I don't think this is raising payroll that much, but I don't know for a fact.

I think Gammons just goes by what he thinks is "conventional wisdom" re: money and the sox. He looks at the Sox not signing Maggs and shopping Lee or PK for purely financial reasons. What he doesn't see is it's to get different type personnel instead.

$ 4 million dollars for a still great fielding SS and a great leader with a solid average/OPB, is a good deal.  However, in the article, Gammons says "The White Sox have little money, and Ken Williams is starting at shortstop and trying to find a starter and an outfielder ... "  I hope he is wrong about the money part, but I think after we get Visquel we will go after Dye or Hidalgo and a solid starter.  I don't think this is raising payroll that much, but I don't know for a fact.

His obp was good this year, no doubt, but I don't have much confidence that it'll continue (looking at the 3 years prior). But his fielding is overrated, his range has diminished quite a bit.

Is Willie going to be the lineup every day?? I see Vizqeul at SS, and Uribe at 2b. I see Willie as the odd man out.

If I had to guess, I would think that Uribe will play everyday, but will alternate between 3B, SS, 2B like he did last year. I would guess that we would see all four of the players (Crede, Omar, Uribe, Willie) each play about 120 games.

Rowand is a horrible #2 hitter.  He will either hit lead off or Willie will.  Omar would be our #2 hitter, trust me.

Since when is a .326 AVG., .360 OBP. horrible?

If Vizquel were to signed, the first two positions should be Vizquel/Rowand or Vizquel/Uribe, depending on matchups or who's the hot hand.

If Vizquel were to signed, the first two positions should be Vizquel/Rowand or Vizquel/Uribe, depending on matchups or who's the hot hand.

That isn't the problem. The fact that he can't bunt and he can't swing to hit the ball the other way is what makes him a horrible #2 hitter. If you can't move runners over, you shouldn't hit #2.

They both strike out a lot more than they walk, at least their ratio is worse than you'd like to get out of a #2 hitter. Willie's ratio is a little better, and he drew more pitches.

YESSS!! FINALLY! The guy I've wanted the Sox to get since last year might actually be coming to the Southside. He not only is a contact hitter, but you can't get much better defensively at short with Vizquel.

WAAY TO GO KENNY!

CWSOX45

Seems a bit pricy to me. I think we could(ve) got(get) cabrera for 3 yr 18 million....

I think that is much better quality, and id much rather have a 1 yr deal w/ vizquel. He had his best year since 2000 and that worries me since he might be just trying to make his last cash in before becoming a manager.

Anyway, i dont really like this move but i still will be a vizquel fan if it goes through and hope he does well.........

Seems a bit pricy to me.  I think we could(ve) got(get) cabrera for 3 yr 18 million....

I think that is much better quality, and id much rather have a 1 yr deal w/ vizquel.  He had his best year since 2000 and that worries me since he might be just trying to make his last cash in before becoming a manager.

Anyway, i dont really like this move but i still will be a vizquel fan if it goes through and hope he does well.........

If you look closely at cabrera's stats he is not exactly too good and will command a couple more million per year than vizquel.