Another Part of Gammons Article

Chisoxfn

Baltimore is looking for a starting pitcher and a righthanded-hitting outfielder and may move or non-tender Jay Gibbons ... The White Sox have little money, and Ken Williams is starting at shortstop and trying to find a starter and an outfielder

First off, if were looking for an outfielder and Gibbons gets non-tendered, I think he would be a good option at 1.5 mill or so and I think you could get him at a very very reasonable price if he is non-tendered. He had a very down year and he isn't amazing, but he's solid defensively and has very good left handed power. He always seemed like he had potential to be a pretty good offensive player.

Anyway, I think if the Sox add a shortstop, starter, and outfielder (Gibbons maybe) then this team would have most of their holes filled. I do think it would be nice to get a good reliever, but at the same time Marte should be better next year and I guess we'll have to hope Shingo will be great in a full season as closer.

If we don't add another reliever, Politte and Cotts are really going to have to step it up.

yeah, i wouldnt mind gibbons. but then we'd have a 4 mil bench players in jurassic. we gotta get rid of his ass somehow.

I fully expect Lee to be moved, so I'm assuming we'd have an outfield of Jurassic/Gload-Rowand-Gibbons (or someone else). I know it wouldn't be the best outfield in the world.

If its the case you sign him. However, maybe if they deal Lee then they could add a reliever. Who knows to be honest, but thats a good point. IF htey were able to get another starter, Omar, and sign Gibbons then I'd be happy.

If we don't add another reliever, Politte and Cotts are really going to have to step it up.

Cotts needs to get some confidence and not nibble around the plate. The kid can pitch, sometimes I wonder if he even believes it himself though.

I really think we should give him a chance at starting next year, sign a good starter via FA and get Judy out of here.

Buehrle

Garcia

FA (Pavano, Perez, perhaps Milton)

Contreras

Cotts

Cotts needs to get some confidence and not nibble around the plate.  The kid can pitch, sometimes I wonder if he even believes it himself though.

I really think we should give him a chance at starting next year, sign a good starter via FA and get Judy out of here.

Buehrle

Garcia

FA (Pavano, Perez, perhaps Milton)

Contreras

Cotts

Yeah since Cotts will do SO much better than Garland :headshake

I fully expect Lee to be moved, so I'm assuming we'd have an outfield of Jurassic/Gload-Rowand-Gibbons (or someone else).  I know it wouldn't be the best outfield in the world. 

If its the case you sign him.  However, maybe if they deal Lee then they could add a reliever.  Who knows to be honest, but thats a good point.  IF htey were able to get another starter, Omar, and sign Gibbons then I'd be happy.

wow, thats a pretty s***ty OF! if we trade lee, we better get a HELL of a lot more than a reliever. we better get a #1 type starter in return otherwise that team sucks and wont win 80 games

wow, thats a pretty s***ty OF! if we trade lee, we better get a HELL of a lot more than a reliever. we better get a #1 type starter in return otherwise that team sucks and wont win 80 games

I just through it out there, who knows whats going to happen. Maybe Konerko goes instead and Gload will play 1st. I mean Everett is gonna be DH'ing at the start of the season anyway.

First off, if were looking for an outfielder and Gibbons gets non-tendered, I think he would be a good option at 1.5 mill or so and I think you could get him at a very very reasonable price if he is non-tendered.  He had a very down year and he isn't amazing, but he's solid defensively and has very good left handed power.  He always seemed like he had potential to be a pretty good offensive player. 

Anyway, I think if the Sox add a shortstop, starter, and outfielder (Gibbons maybe) then this team would have most of their holes filled.  I do think it would be nice to get a good reliever, but at the same time Marte should be better next year and I guess we'll have to hope Shingo will be great in a full season as closer. 

If Gibbons is non tendered I think he'd be a great player to look at. However I think if the sox sign vizquel it's more important to go after a starter and a reliever, jmo. I think the sox can survive with the pen they have, however if they could sign a percival or trade for a baez or someone like that, the backend of the pen could be absolutely dominate with politte, marte, shingo, percival/baez/whoever, add cotts and adkins to the front end of that pen and that bullpen would have a chance to be absolutely outstanding. I honestly expect Jurrassic to come to st in shape and I fully expect him to have a huge year that's the main reason I think we can live without another outfielder.

It is interesting to note that most of us agree that the Sox were wrong to move Foulke because he didn't throw hard enough despite being pretty successful and now we're saying the same thing about Shingo.

No one is talking about trading Shingo. People are just saying they'd like insurance in case he can't do the job, or gets hurt. If he goes down, what other option is there? We know Shingo can do the job in set up as well as close.

What I'd like to see the Sox do is get a hard throwing setup guy who could close.

Gibbons is the same all or nothing OF that we have all over our roster right now.  Nothing against the guy, but no thanks.  I want us to sign a CFer if we are going to sign another OFer.

I love this mindset, and with that being said, what do you think about going out and trading for Andruw Jones?

He is currently owed 51 million dollars over the next four years if I am not mistaking, but if we can get that contract down from 12 to about 7-8, I would love it.

27 years old, gold glove centerfielder, 30-40 home run power, 100+ rbis and a high .200's average.

Someones going to take him off the Braves hands, why not it be the White Sox.

If we make a deal with the Braves, its going to be fore Ortiz. I would want Jones, but I dont know what we would give up. 

Would this be reasonable?

Konerko,Garland,Adkins, and PTBNL for Ortiz,Jones.

The Braves want to dump Andruw Jones. No need to go out and hand them over quality talent in this type of deal.

Andruw Jones for prospects, and no deal for Ortiz.

What would that accomplish?? I would rather have Lee than Andruw Jones. Your saying trade Carlos for a SP. Why not just sign one of the market. Lowe, Clement, Perez. By getting Andruw Jones, which you think can get by just prospects, we would clean out alot of the farm. By keeping Lee,(who like I said I would rather have anyway) you dont need to trade any prospects.

I just dont get your thinking here.

BTW, what prospects, names, would we be trading for Jones??

in a perfect world, my outfield would be lee, jones, rowand.

with that being said, lee is a hot commodity on the trade market, and jones is not. if your able to acquire and solve other needs by trading lee, then its a no brainer.

I love this mindset, and with that being said, what do you think about going out and trading for Andruw Jones?

He is currently owed 51 million dollars over the next four years if I am not mistaking, but if we can get that contract down from 12 to about 7-8, I would love it.

27 years old, gold glove centerfielder, 30-40 home run power, 100+ rbis and a high .200's average.

Someones going to take him off the Braves hands, why not it be the White Sox.

Andruw Jones

I remember midseason we had a practically done deal- jones for ordonez, so obviously kenny likes him.

I am keeping my eye on all of these guys that kenny targeted but couldnt get in offseason and midseason.

Also, because of jones fairly large contract, we could trade something like garland and borchard for him.

This would give us

LF-Carl Everett(Im actually expecting a solid year from him)

CF-Andruw Jones(Very solid all around player)

RF-Aaron Rowand(Coming off big year-not sure what we will get this year)

WITH

LF/CF/RF-Timo Perez(Much healthier and faster(injured w/out telling any1)and he is a great clutch hitter and great arm, can play lfcfrf all well)

Yes, but you wouldnt need to trade Lee, and just sign a FA pitcher. Who speciificly are you thinking about trading Lee for? RJ? I think the pitching market is deep enough that a trade is not needed to sign a solid starter. An outfield of Lee, Rowand and Everret is still pretty solid, and by trading Lee, and putting Jones in the mix doesnt make it the team that much better, if at all.  I guess we will just agree to disagree, but I think your shooting yourself in the foot by giving away prospects(which it will take more than that to get Andruw) when you really dont have to, and still put your team in a great positon.

For some reason, and I might be wrong, I think some team will be willing to give up quite a bit of talent in a trade for Lee. One tier down from what the Brewers got for Sexson, if you will.

Maybe a possible deal with the Blue Jays:

Blue Jays trade: Vinnie Chulk, Kevin Cash, Acquilino Lopez, Ted Lilly, plus.

White Sox trade: Carlos Lee

Take it for what its worth. Like I said, I think Lee is a hot commodity in the trade market. Im not wrong, your not right, just two different opinions.