Rock Raines hired as 1st base coach

southsider2k5

Good move, Rock was one of my all time favorites.

How is his health? I haven't followed it closel, but he was diagnosed with lupis a while back, right?

Of no consequence... I now have an old t-shirt up in my closet that reads "White Sox Triple Threat," and has at-bat illos of Frank, Ozzie, and Rock on it. Hot-damn, that trio is reunited (sorta).

Is anyone here concerned at all that we are filling all of our coaching positions with former players when there might be more qualified candidates? The reason I ask this is that I have heard reports that Baines does not really care for his current position.

Please don't take this as me saying I dislike the hiring of Raines, or any of the other coaches that we have now. I'm just looking at this from a pure business standpoint, and anyone in a business will tell you that you get ahead by hiring the best possible people, not by bringing in your buddies. While we all get a warm fuzzy feeling when these players that we rooted for years ago in Sox uniforms return to the organization, I would have a much warmer, much fuzzier feeling watching the Sox swarm Shingo Takatsu as he closes out game 7 of the World Series!!

This is a welcome change in the Sox philosophy, in my opinion. There has been a history of the Sox disrespecting players as they left town. Which would cause other players to look at the situation in a negative way and them not want to play for the Sox. Now, they are starting to honor the formers Sox by hiring them and other ways, like the Minnie Minoso statue.

Let's look at these coaches and see if the are qualified, which should be all the matters. Start with Ozzie. About a 15 year career followed by 2 or 3 years as a major league coach, one of which was with a world champion team. Joey Cora, again, a muliyear major league career with post season experience and he has, iirc, some minor league managing experience. Greg Walker had a few good seasons in the bigs and worked his way up our minor league system as a hitting coach. Art Kushner was a major league catcher and has coached for a few years now. Rock Raines coaching 1st and teaching basestealers after being one of the greatest basestealers in history. You know he knows how to read a pitcher and at first will be cluing guys in on what to look for. Besides the fact that he was a long time major leaguer with post season and world championship credentials, he also has a year on minor league managing under his belt. Baines is the biggest question mark in my mind, but you can't overlook his experience around the game either. Cooper has been with the organization for 17 years and has worked his way up to his current position. I don't think any of the coaches are underqualified.