Takatsu for ROY

chisox05

I don't think there's anything strange talking about Takatsu as roy. His overall numbers put him in the top tier of AL relievers.

But he won't win. If Matsui wasn't selected, no way Takatsu is. (Unless the writers are sensitive to some of the criticism of that vote, which is doubtful.)

Why is Crosby such a shoe-in? He was pretty brutal at the plate in the 2nd half. I'd probably rank them Greinke, Takatsu, Crosby. And what's the deal w/ Morneau? Is he eligible?

The way I look at it, is that Shingo was in a Professonal leauge over in Japan. He was in Japan's equivalent to our MLB. Yes, this was his 1st year in the MLB, but all it was to me is a professonal baseball player going into another established leauge.

Im not trying to take anything away from Shingo, he was a gigantic bright spot in the 2004 campaign, and we all know how good of a year he had. I just think Rookie of the Year is the wrong award to be given to him.

But according to MLB rules, a person shouldn't consider that when voting. I believe the directions are to vote for the best player who's in his first full year in this league -- no exceptions.

I don't think there's anything strange talking about Takatsu as roy.  His overall numbers put him in the top tier of AL relievers.

But he won't win.  If Matsui wasn't selected, no way Takatsu is.  (Unless the writers are sensitive to some of the criticism of that vote, which is doubtful.)

Why is Crosby such a shoe-in?  He was pretty brutal at the plate in the 2nd half.  I'd probably rank them Greinke, Takatsu, Crosby.  And what's the deal w/ Morneau?  Is he eligible?

Crosby plays one of the more important posistions and is an everyday player unlike grienke and shingo. I still don't think shingo should win it.

Crosby plays one of the more important posistions and is an everyday player unlike grienke and shingo. I still don't think shingo should win it.

I am trying to keep that in mind, but is a starting shortstop more important than a starting pitcher? And even if he is, how much of a boost does that give him? Crosby was (I've heard) a good defender, but his struggles at the plate are a big strike against him, imo, while Greinke was as good as any sp on the Sox while in the ML. But everyone weighs these things differently.

I take a lot away from Takatsu b/c he didn't pitch very much (not that that was his fault, just in terms of judging his overall contribution). If he threw 80+ innings, I'd probably put him above Greinke.

Takatsu for ROY is complete joke. Crosby will run away with it, and I think Grienke should come in 2nd. Takatsu shouldnt even be a canidate.

I agree that he shouldn't be eligible but with these rules he is eligible so he should definitely be considered, imo.

Berroa beat Matsui because two writer left Matsui off their ballots completely. The NHL has a rule, where I believe a player has to be 27 or younger to qualify for the ROY award.

Until that rule is amended, and it should be, Shingo has to be considered. I think he should finish second to Crosby. Greinke and Madritsch were good, and I'd prefer both of them for the future. But what should be considered is the overall contribution made, regardless of future potential, and Shingo bests them both in that regard.

I know the only rules of eligibility are fewer than 45 days service or less than 130 ab's. Morneau is not eligible based on 2003, and had Mauer been injured 8 more days--he would have been eligible next year.

Speaking of ROY, Was there ever a weeker AL ROY than Ozzie Guillen? Gregg Olson? Marty Cordova? Maybe Joe Charboneau. I can't think of any.

I was stating my dislike that he can be called a rookie, thats all. Since Shingo is up for the award, I guess I do hope he gets it, just to get some props, but I still think its the wronng award.

I agree....

I mean, wasn't he the all time saves leader in Japan and to come here and win ROY?

Thats kinda crazy because... he's not a rookie.

It should be called...First Year Most Amazing Player in the MLB Award. :P And then Shingo should win.

I agree....

I mean, wasn't he the all time saves leader in Japan and to come here and win ROY?

Thats kinda crazy because... he's not a rookie.

It should be called...First Year Most Amazing Player in the MLB Award. :P  And then Shingo should win.

I agree. As I've said before, I was against Matsui winning last year for the same reasons brought up against Shingo. So I say he shouldn't win. I'll be happy as hell if he does, but I don't think he should.

so shingo ended up taking 2nd in the voting.

ESPN ROY link

NEW YORK -- Oakland Athletics shortstop Bobby Crosby was just a vote shy of being a unanimous pick for AL Rookie of the Year, and Pittsburgh Pirates outfielder Jason Bay won the NL award Monday.

Crosby received 27 of 28 first-place votes in balloting by the Baseball Writers' Association of America for 138 points. Chicago White Sox closer Shingo Takatsu received the other first-place vote and finished second with 44 points, followed by Baltimore pitcher Daniel Cabrera with 29 points.

Bay, the first Pittsburgh player and first native Canadian to win the NL award, got 25 of 32 first-place votes and 146 points. San Diego shortstop Khalil Greene received seven first-place votes, 24 seconds and one third for 108 points, and Padres reliever Akinori Otsuka was next with 23 points.

Crosby, 24, took over Oakland's shortstop job from 2002 AL MVP Miguel Tejada, who signed with Baltimore. Crosby hit .239 with 22 homers and 64 RBIs, his average the lowest for a non-pitcher given the award.

He led AL rookies in hits (130), doubles (34) and walks (58), and was third among all AL players with 4.17 pitches per plate appearance. However, his 141 strikeouts were the most for Oakland since Jose Canseco's 152 in 1991.

Crosby became the sixth A's player to earn the honor, following Harry Byrd (1952), Canseco (1986), Mark McGwire (1987), Walt Weiss (1988) and Ben Grieve (1998).

Bay hit .282 with 26 homers and 82 RBIs. The 26-year-old from Trail, British Columbia, had the most homers by an NL rookie since Albert Pujols hit 37 three years ago. Bay started the season on the disabled list while recovering from surgery on his right shoulder and didn't play his first major league game of the season until May 7.

Pittsburgh had been the only pre-expansion team without a rookie of the year, with four players finishing second: first baseman Donn Clendenon (1962), second baseman Johnny Ray (1982), pitcher Mike Dunne (1987) and outfielder-first baseman Orlando Merced (1991).1991