Jaret Wright?

santo=dorf

Oh sweet Jesus conflicting reports from The Score and Peter Gammons? Which moron(s) do I believe?

If this is true, I like this move. Wright's splits away from Turner, which is a pitcher's park (stats cannot factor in humidity, which kills balls), is very respectable at a 4.04 ERA. Turner's park factor is .991, which is a slight pitcher's park, nothing like Safeco or Petco (.834 and .837 respectively). Wright has a very good sinker and should keep the ball in the park (hopefully), but the walks do worry me. The WHIP of 1.28 is nice but I'm afraid that might climb a good bit switching back over to the AL.

Still, a rotation of:

Garcia

Buehrle

Wright

Contreras

Garland

Is solid but not spectacular. I'd rather see KW suck it up and make a run at Pavano or fall back on Odalis Perez instead of settling on Jaret Wright.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many quality starts for Wright in 2004?

22 out of 32 is probably one of the highest quality start percentages in the league (at least 25-30 GS). He wouldn't fare as well in the AL, but I'm still for signing him, as I was months ago.

HUH? GWETY, rowand44, and santo=dorf are the trolls. 

Granted I don't post the norms here,  sign overpriced FA.

But again I did the same exect things as they are doing , and I got suspened..

Again I say..hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

You got suspended for blatantly calling me a dips***. Twice. I don't see such blatant attacks here, and if they did, they hid them damn good.

qwerty, santo-dorf, and Rowand44 all have good track records here.

You do not. You've already got 90% of this board labeling you a troll. Why not try to change it?

Alright so someone please clear this up for me...Peter Gammons has reported that we have "officially" signed Jaret Wright for 5-6 million a year or whatever and The Score has said that nothing is concrete yet...or is any of this concrete?? Someone please explain to me... :unsure: :unsure:

Alright so someone please clear this up for me...Peter Gammons has reported that we have "officially" signed Jaret Wright for 5-6 million a year or whatever and The Score has said that nothing is concrete yet...or is any of this concrete?? Someone please explain to me... :unsure:  :unsure:

Nah we're supposedly "close" to signing Wright for an unknown amount.

Ohh..yeah P.S., how about you guys just ignore everything Anthrax says because he is just causing problems basically and says nothing that is relevant.

Well, it will be nice when the ignore feature is added...

I think he may be talking to himself when it is added, everyone will have him on ignore.

I'm calling it now, Giants sign him by enticing him with an mutual option 4th year.

I think he may be talking to himself when it is added, everyone will have him on ignore.

I'm calling it now, Giants sign him by enticing him with an mutual option 4th year.

Zero...you have yet again scared the crap out of me with your avatar. Congrats. :lol:

I can not WAIT for the Ignore feature

Its like Christmas... im soooo excited!!!

I'll venture to predict Seattle will offer more money, in addition to an optional 4th year. Mariners are searching for another starter to compensate for Garcia's departure.

If Gammons believes the White Sox and Wright are "close," a deal should be reached within the next several days. Wait until the arbitration deadline passes and another club will have since picked him up.

Signing Jaret may be the best option with the limited financial restraints our organization has. If Unit is unwilling to pitch here, and Pavano/Martinez are too expensive, then Williams should move quick and pick him up.

Still, a rotation of:

Garcia

Buehrle

Wright

Contreras

Garland

Is solid but not spectacular.

It's the best rotation in the division by 3 or 4 lengths, even if the Twinkies re-sign Radke. If the Twinkies lose Radke (and his 60 VORP from last year), that rotation is the best by 10 or 15 lengths...If Radke signs elsewhere and the Sox sign Wright, all other things equal, the Sox win the division by 5-7 games.

Here are a couple of things.

Johan Santana was great last year. But he also had his share of luck, too. His batting average on balls in play (BABIP) was .250, as opposed to the league average of .296. That means fewer balls dropped in on him than other pitchers. (Don't say the Twinkies' defense was good, either - the overall BABIP for Twins pitchers was .303 - behind the league average). It's been proven that BABIPs like that don't stay the same from year to year - the pitcher has essentially no control once the ball is in play. Look for Santana to regress to the mean next year. He'll still be very, very good, but his ERA will be more like 3.30 rather than 2.90 - probably causing him to lose 2-3 more games.

(Carlos Silva was marginally, lucky, too - his BABIP was .277.)

Wright actually had a league-average BABIP of .291 against him. He wasn't particularly lucky and he had a 3.28 ERA. That's pretty solid. His low homer total (11) was amazing given that Turner Field gives up 13% more homers than average. I think Wright would be an excellent signing.

Perez, on the other hand, has had 2 sub-4 ERA's in the past three years in Dodger Stadium, which is perhaps THE pitcher's park of this ERA (with apologizes to Petco and Comerica before they brought in the fences). But he needed absurdly low BABIPs to do it - a microscopic .247 in 2002 and .262 in 2004. When he's been good, he's gotten lucky. His home run rate would be poor in US Cellular (he gave up 26 last year playing half his games in Dodger Stadium), and I'd expect an ERA in the mid-to-high 4's with the White Sox. Not worth the $6 million or so the Sox would spend on him - he'd be another Jon Garland, essentially.

Interesting info, great post BB.

It was just a gut feeling on my part but I felt Silva in particular had luck on his side quite a bit in '04. My dad is retired and watches tons of games on the MLB package and he'd commented on Silva in that manner.

For reference's sake, Paul Wilson (he of the 4.36 ERA, 1.39 WHIP in the NL) just resigned with Cincy for 2 years at 8.2 mill. 

That makes a Wright signing at 5.5 a year look pretty good, injury potential aside.

That was just a terrible sign by the reds though. You do not give paul wilson that much money, basically it was his best year of his career and he has never pitched 200 innings in a season. If they were not so desperate for pitching they would have never signed him for that much.

That was just a terrible sign by the reds though. You do not give paul wilson that much money, basically it was his best year of his career and he has never pitched 200 innings in a season. If they were not so desperate for pitching they would have never signed him for that much.

But Wilson did give a great boost to my LEAGUE WINNING fantasy team :D :headbang

For reference's sake, Paul Wilson (he of the 4.36 ERA, 1.39 WHIP in the NL) just resigned with Cincy for 2 years at 8.2 mill. 

That makes a Wright signing at 5.5 a year look pretty good, injury potential aside.

I agree..especially an incentive laden deal that is slightly back loaded.

Just a gruesome signing by any stretch of the imagination. Structure is $3.6 in 2005, $3.75 in 2006 and a $800,000 buyout if the Reds don't exercise 2007 option. I just don't get the last $800k. I really could see $3.5 million, but the buyout nudges it up to $4.1 per...doesn't make sense.

Add that to the fact that Wilson pitched in a pitcher's park (GAB actually had a 93 batter's park factor, believe it or not) and had a slightly lucky .283 BABIP...could get ugly for Cincinnati next year and in '06.

I'd be surprised after the Wilson deal that we'd get Wright for anything less than $5.5, or Clement for anything less than $5.5, either.

If Radke signs elsewhere and the Sox sign Wright, all other things equal, the Sox win the division by 5-7 games.

:lolhitting cmon are u kidding? u do know that as of now our catcher is ben davis, our 2b is willie harris, our 3b is joe crede, we have contreras and garland in the rotation, and our rf is Carl Freakin everett!

Just figured out that with (1) a full season of Garcia and Contreras at 2004 levels; (2) 2004 performances from Buehrle and Garland; and (3) 2004 performance from Jaret Wright, the Sox would have a starting rotation with a 165.1 VORP, which is 73.8 runs better than in 2004. Subtract 74 runs from the 2004 White Sox, and they add 8 wins - up to a 91 win season.

Now subtract out Radke's 60 VORP from the Twins (roughly 6 wins) , and I think you get the Sox by something like 5 games

WHOPPIE.. here comes 3rd palce in 05.. I can't wait.

another great signing.

If (and I do mean if) KW does not address the weakness of the bullpen,

let alone the elusive 5th starter,the Sox may finish 4th or (God Forbid)

5th.Garcia and Buehrle are good,you don't know what you're getting

with Garland or Contreras,and depending on Shingo as your closer for a 2nd straight year might not be a bright idea as the league will catch up

to him (if they haven't already). :puke :puke

We'll find out more 12/10 when the next round of GM meetings start. :sleep

If (and I do mean if) KW does not address the weakness of the bullpen,

let alone the elusive 5th starter,the Sox may finish 4th or (God Forbid)

5th.Garcia and Buehrle are good,you don't know what you're getting

with Garland or Contreras,and depending on Shingo as your closer for a 2nd straight year might not be a bright idea as the league will catch up

to him (if they haven't already). :puke  :puke

We'll find out more 12/10 when the next round of GM meetings start. :sleep

We can always count on you to be your positive and cheery self...

Just figured out that with (1) a full season of Garcia and Contreras at 2004 levels; (2) 2004 performances from Buehrle and Garland; and (3) 2004 performance from Jaret Wright, the Sox would have a starting rotation with a 165.1 VORP, which is 73.8 runs better than in 2004.  Subtract 74 runs from the 2004 White Sox, and they add 8 wins - up to a 91 win season. 

Now subtract out Radke's 60 VORP from the Twins (roughly 6 wins) , and I think you get the Sox by something like 5 games

That's some top-notch work BB. Good show.