Sox STILL interested in Chacon

DBAHO

PITCHING OPTION: A source indicated the Sox still are interested in Colorado Rockies pitcher Shawn Chacon. The right-hander is arbitration eligible and any interest the Sox would have is if the Rockies do not tender him a contract at next week's deadline and he becomes a free agent.

The Rockies have been trying to build up Chacon's value so they can at least trade him for a prospect before setting him free next week and getting nothing in return.

Chacon was turned into a closer last season but interested teams are said to be only considering him as a starter because of his inconsistency around the plate. Chacon made the National League All-Star team as a starter in 2003 but didn't play because of injury.

GETTING INTERESTING: As he expected, Williams said new discussions started Saturday that could lead the Sox into a trade. The Sox are mainly pursuing a starting pitcher.

''There are still teams out there that are trying to gauge what's happening on the free-agent front [with high signing prices],'' Williams said. ''I think some of what has transpired so far is directing many teams to look toward the trade route than the free-agent route.''

Shawn Chacon is a quality pitcher.  The Rox made him their closer for some dumb reason but trust me there's a reason a lot of teams are interested in him.

I agree with you, he has a great arm. It sure was a messed up year for him in 2004 though.

So if Chacon is inconsistent around the plate, why would a team want him as a starter over a reliever?

Bob

He had some success as a starter, for one.

Also, from what I've read, he's known as a guy whose mechanics are more consistent as a starter. Don't know why ... but some pitchers prepare better to start vs. pitching inconsistently as a reliever.

I saw Chacon pitch up close several times in Tucson, there's no denying he has great stuff, a fantastic arm.

It could be he just needs a change of scenery. That said, no team appears willing to give up a whole lot. His 2004 was disastrous.

Shawn Chacon is a quality pitcher.  The Rox made him their closer for some dumb reason but trust me there's a reason a lot of teams are interested in him.

I completely agree, I really like Chacon. I too was puzzled when they decided to make him the closer after a real solid year as a starter.

I disagree.

IMHO, Pollite>Chacon.

I agree that a change of scenery would be great for Chacon, and he could have a huge breakout season, but I think trading Pollite for Chacon is risky, and could backfire.  Few B level prosepcts would work for me.

How could trading Politte be risky?

The main reason Shawn Chacon isn't Todd Ritchie is that no one is suggesting we trade three pitchers (two of them starters) for him. The reason we are interested in Chacon is that he's a rather inexpensive alternative that has the potential to be real positive. He's young and he's tough. No one has success in Coors Field without mental toughness.

But, you can't evaluate him based on last year. The Rox made him their closer for some inexplicable reason when he had been their best starting pitcher the previous season. If the Cell really is Coors Field light then Chacon is an ideal young pitcher to put on our roster.

it depends what we have to give up for him... if we don't take anything from the starting rotation and don't have to give up Lee, I would prefer

MB

Garcia

Contreras

Garland

Chacon

over

MB

Garcia

Contreras

Garland

Grilli

Exactly. The whole equation changes if you have to give up Garland or CLee. Chacon is drawing interest around the league but not that kind of interest.

I'm guessing a 2nd tier minor league prospect might do the job like Diaz or Munoz. The Rox just don't want to pay Chacon's salary and their worried about what an arbitrator might put his salary at.

The D-BACKS listed Chacon in their infamous "Arizona 10" of pitchers they wanted the Yanks to acquire for the Unit. Could the deal become judy, paulie, shawn, and BA? Could be. We'd STILL need another starter though

This is very interesting and something I haven't thought about. Maybe a 3 team deal with us giving up koney, anderson and diaz, rockies get felix, dbacks get kong, anderson and chacon, we get rj. Would you guys be willing to do that deal?? I know i'd do it in a sec. Seems like it would make sense for all teams involved.