Rosenthal Update on Lee

Mr. Showtime

This trade reminds me alot of the Ivan Calderone for Tim Raines deal back in 1990. Trading good hitting and power for a speedy leadoff guy. It fills a need, but I do believe Carlos is worth more, but I do think it would free up at least 4-5 million which could be used for the 5th starter spot.

This trade reminds me alot of the Ivan Calderone for Tim Raines deal back in 1990. Trading good hitting and power for a speedy leadoff guy. It fills a need, but I do believe Carlos is worth more, but I do think it would free up at least 4-5 million which could be used for the 5th starter spot.

I really think that is what is going on here. We all knew that Carlos or Paulie would be looked to move so that we can get another solid arm in the rotation. I think that this sets that move up.

ben sheets? j/k

would ginter be a third, or is a minor-league more likely in that scenario.

how good is vizcaino?

Scott Pod

http://www.baseball-reference.com/p/podsesc01.shtml

Liuz Vizcaino

http://www.baseball-reference.com/v/vizcalu01.shtml

Ginter

http://www.baseball-reference.com/g/ginteke01.shtml

But he's not a lead-off guy. .313 OBP is 50 points below what you need in a lead-off guy. Lee himself, besides having superior power, has a much better OBP than this guy. Hell, Harris is as good as this guy. Vizcaino is an okay bullpen arm -dime a dozen, really. And from what I can tell, Carlos is a better left fielder than Pods would be.

Raines was a multi-year all star and proven lead off hitter, while Ivan was a nice RBI and power guy. Lee is better than Calderon and Raines is 1000 times better than Podsenick. There is no comparison in these deals.

If we need to dump salary, then trade him, but get the proper value in return, please. Someone out there can use an excellent hitter like Lee who has 2 more years at around 8 Mill. I'd love a lead-off hitter in return - but get a real lead off hitter, not a fraud

This is so ridiculous.

But he's not a lead-off guy.  .313 OBP is 50 points below what you need in a lead-off guy.  Lee himself, besides having superior power, has a much better OBP than this guy. Hell, Harris is as good as this guy.  Vizcaino is an okay bullpen arm -dime a dozen, really

This is so ridiculous.

Exactly what part about 70 stolen bases don't you understand??

He's in scoring position about as often as a hitter who hits .300 with no speed...plus if you hit a single he scores, he is a leadoff hitter, sure hes not a Rickey Henderson or young Kenny Lofton but compared to what we had last year!?!?

Exactly what part about 70 stolen bases don't you understand??

He's in scoring position about as often as a hitter who hits .300 with no speed...plus if you hit a single he scores, he is a leadoff hitter, sure hes not a Rickey Henderson or young Kenny Lofton but compared to what we had last year!?!?

Exactly what part of .310 OBP do you not understand. That is bad for a NINE hole hitter!

If speed is what counts, then keep Lee and let Willie run every time he gets on base (as Willie gets on base as often as Pods).

Doesn't anybody want Konerko?

LF-Podsednik

CF-Rowand

1B-Konerko

DH-Thomas/Everett

RF-Dye

SS-Uribe

3B-Crede

C-Davis

2B-Harris

Is this what we are looking at?  Yikes. 

I didn't realize the lineup would look like this.

And what exactly is wrong with this lineup. Actually, I'd have it look like this.

LF-Podsednik

SS-Uribe

CF-Rowand

DH-Thomas/Everett

1B-Konerko

RF-Dye

3B-Crede

C-Davis

2B-Harris

It certainly does not lack fear.  I for one would be very afraid if we went into '05 with a top of the order that looked like that.  :ph34r:

You and me both.

Kenny needs to look that over once or twice before trading Carlos f***ing Lee for Scott I Steal Bases Podsednik. Unless this nails us our fifth starter in some way shape or form (allows for the signing of a FA for example), we'd be getting hosed.

And what exactly is wrong with this lineup.  Actually, I'd have it look like this.

LF-Podsednik

SS-Uribe

CF-Rowand

DH-Thomas/Everett

1B-Konerko

RF-Dye

3B-Crede

C-Davis

2B-Harris

It looks just as good as, if not better than the Minnesota Twins' 2004 lineup.

It lacks fear, and consistancy at the top.

As opposed to any other lineup the Sox have brought to the table in the last 5 years???? I think the Sox problem has been that they have too many power right handed hitters. Podsednik may only have had a .313 OBP last year, but was at .373 the year before. Thats not too bad. Also I have high expectations that Uribe will become a solid SS and a very good hitter.

Look the Sox have had over 200 HRs for a team the last 5 years. Last year, they did it with Maggs and Frank both being out more then half a season. I am tired of the long ball. Change in this fashion, I think, is good. Now, if they can get another solid starter, my Christmas wishlist will be met.

If this trade results in freed up money to obtain a solid starting pitcher, then honestly, I'm all for it. Offense has not been the reason for the Sox demise over the last few years, the lack of depth in the starting rotation has been. Not only that, but we would be bolstering our relief core also. Personally, if we got Pod, Ginter, and Vizcaino for Lee and a low level minor leaguer, I would be pretty content.

If this trade results in freed up money to obtain a solid starting pitcher, then honestly, I'm all for it.  Offense has not been the reason for the Sox demise over the last few years, the lack of depth in the starting rotation has been.  Not only that, but we would be bolstering our relief core also.  Personally, if we got Pod, Ginter, and Vizcaino for Lee and a low level minor leaguer, I would be pretty content.

If we got just Pod and Vizcaino for Lee, with certainty that this would allow us to sign Odalis Perez, I would be elated.

Podsednik + Vizcaino + Perez >>> Carlos Lee.