WSCR reports on Clement

ManSooLee

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a guy, who on his career has been below league average.  Can you imagine what Garcia would command on this market? --

Clement, career ERA+, 98

Garcia, career ERA+, 114

Who thinks Jon Garland is overpaid now?

Garland career ERA+, 101

If garland has one substancially above average season over the next two years, given continued market inflation, he could be looking at $12M/yr or more.

I understand these arguments but part of the attractiveness of Clement is his "stuff." People aren't looking to pay him $8-10 million per year based on his past ERAs, their looking to pay him that because of his "stuff."

Garcia on the open market would garner more clearly as he has great "stuff" and a good track record. Eric Milton on the other hand...

Interesting. While I think Clement is a 7mill a year pitcher, this still is a good move for the Sox cause they do need another starter and another starter will really help them.

Plus Clement gets strikeouts, is a groundball pitcher, and limits hits. He should have a little more upside, but we shall see. I do fear something happening to his arm. Had he not worn out over the end of the season he'd of gotten even more.

Still, I tend to think the Angels are offering 3/27 and not 3/30. If it is in fact 3yr 30 mill then I think the Sox offseason would be over.

I also like the idea of Perez at 3yr 22 but who knows if he gets that. There are two legit pitchers left on the market...Perez and Clement.

The Dodgers, Angels, Indians, Blue Jays, and Red Sox are all interested in Clement along with the Sox. When Clement goes off the market (to whatever team) then it means all these teams or at least most shift there focus to Perez and his contract will go up as well.

I thought if the Sox were going to Perez they would of had to of done it quickly and before Clement is off the market, but in the end I think both will get between 8-10 mill at this point.

Someone will overpay for Perez simply because once Clement is off the market, he is by far the best pitcher available via free agency, imo.

Millwood is worth it for a team wanting a one year deal, but he's not near as good at this point, while Milton is already asking 7 mill and is garbage compared to Perez.

10 mil. a year for Clement, I say nooo way. Why does everyone have such a hard-on for this guy anyway :huh Why not go after Lowe. He would cost less and would be better. Just because he had one bad year last year, he is a better picther than Clement. He has pitched in the American League the whole time and has far bettter numbers than Clement, who has pitched in National league the whole time.. Say NO to Clement, escecially at that crazy price..

10 mil. a year for Clement, I say nooo way.  Why does everyone have such a hard-on for this guy anyway  :huh  Why not go after Lowe.  He would cost less and would be better.  Just because he had one bad year last year, he is a better picther than Clement. He has pitched in the American League the whole time and has far bettter numbers than Clement, who has pitched in National league the whole time.. Say NO to Clement, escecially at that crazy price..

lowe is a boras client

10 mil. a year for Clement, I say nooo way.  Why does everyone have such a hard-on for this guy anyway  :huh  Why not go after Lowe.  He would cost less and would be better.  Just because he had one bad year last year, he is a better picther than Clement. He has pitched in the American League the whole time and has far bettter numbers than Clement, who has pitched in National league the whole time.. Say NO to Clement, escecially at that crazy price..

Try a bad last 2 years.

lowe is a boras client

True..but I read on someone's post of an article where Kenny would have no problem in dealing with a Boras client, if the price was right. And, I know the market for Lowe could not be near 30mil over 3 years.

Try a bad last 2 years.

hmm...maybe a "below-average" E.R.A. but his win/loss was still 17-7, granted he was pitching for the Boston offense. The year before that, wasn't he up for the CY young or am i just remembering someone else. Clement on the other hand has only had 2 seasons where his record was above .500. What the hell just get a some starting pictching, but I personally would prefer Lowe above Clement.

True..but I read on someone's post of an article where Kenny would have no problem in dealing with a Boras client, if the price was right. And, I know the market for Lowe could not be near 30mil over 3 years.

hmm...maybe a "below-average" E.R.A. but his win/loss was still 17-7, granted he was pitching for the Boston offense. The year before that, wasn't he up for the CY young or am i just remembering someone else. Clement on the other hand has only had 2 seasons where his record was above .500.  What the hell just get a some starting pictching, but I personally would prefer Lowe above Clement.

Detroit could be real stupid and offer 4 years 40 million, yes I'm not kidding. He'll probably sign a deal about 9 mill over 3 or 4 years from some team though. And Boston were desperate to trae him early 2004 when he had an ERA of around 7, but there was absolutely no market for him. When he just doesn't use his favorite pitch, the sinker over and over again, Lowe can be a somewhat effective pitcher though.

I wonder how true this offer is.  I mean sources have been known to be wrong.  I guess we'll find out tomorrow cause I'm figuring thats when Clement makes up his mind.

Thursday or Friday supposedly, and then we'll probably see Perez make up his mind a few days later, depending on what teams do there.

Considering Lowe is going to still get 7-8 mill a year I'd go with Clement.

I think in the end Clement gets 9/10; Perez 8-9; Lowe 7-8

The rest fall below that, but with those three the only legit guys remaining your going to see prices go through the roof on Perez and then when he goes Boras will lick his chops.

Its probably best to overpay for Clement, especially since it appears he'd want to pitch here. Cause otherwise you have no idea whats going to happen and what team guys prefer.

This is assuming Clement really wants to stay in Chicago, but who knows, maybe that isn't the case. Also who knows if the Sox really have offered 3/30.

hmm...maybe a "below-average" E.R.A. but his win/loss was still 17-7, granted he was pitching for the Boston offense. The year before that, wasn't he up for the CY young or am i just remembering someone else. Clement on the other hand has only had 2 seasons where his record was above .500.  What the hell just get a some starting pictching, but I personally would prefer Lowe above Clement.

Wins for a pitcher are by far the most overrated stat. Lowe pitches for Boston, a team that has been a WS contender for a few years and he pitches behind one of the leagues best offenses.

Matt Clement, however, has been on a staff behind a terrible offense and a barely above average team.

Hence the two records.

Matt Clement > Derek Lowe

Lowe's continuous downfall is scary. He's dropped off big time since his one good year in the rotation.