Say we do Pocket this Money, Then what?

traydragen

Say we do pocket this extra 6 or 7 million we picked up from the C. Lee deal. Is it June when the trade deadline is, i cant think right now for some reason. Who can we go after, if we are even still in the hunt for the Central by that time? I know we have to sign a pitcher during that time if we dont get one now, but who would be available? Who is the best player we could "trade for and sign to a deal" that is going to be dealt during the trading deadline?

I've honestly never heard of a team that saves that much money for a deadline deal. It sounds like a bunch of BS, if you ask me. However, the heat will definitely be on KW if he doesn't spend that money. If he refuses to sign anyone else this off-season, I would be willing to guarantee that he gets fired after this year. I'm confident this current team won't make the playoffs, and that's the only way he can keep his job (making playoffs).

Depends what teams are out of it. Im 99% against KW waiting till june/july to spend the $$, but there might be some pitchers avalaible at the deadline that aren't even being talked about right now.

That's the messed up thing, what if WE aren't in it? If we're 9 games back at the break, does he spend the money? Does he have himself to blame for being 9 games back? I seriously cannot f***ing believe that he traded away CLee and didn't have anything else lined up. If we're looking to cut salary and totally rebuild this team, then f***ing rebuild, pull a Beane and trade for top prospects, not a couple of 30 yr old vets.

I've honestly never heard of a team that saves that much money for a deadline deal. It sounds like a bunch of BS, if you ask me. However, the heat will definitely be on KW if he doesn't spend that money. If he refuses to sign anyone else this off-season, I would be willing to guarantee that he gets fired after this year. I'm confident this current team won't make the playoffs, and that's the only way he can keep his job (making playoffs).

But see with that, KW has to know we are in desperate need for a solid starter and have been for a good 2 or 3 years now, hell we haven't had a solid 1-5 since God knows when. I wonder if this is more of dickhead Jerry's decision, more so than it is KW's. I guess we will see what happens.. But yes I do agree with you, if we can't find a decent pitcher to fill that huge hole, and it is KW decision to save the money, then yes he should be fired. My fear is, they may be thinking we can just tread water in our division until June/July and then sign someone, and I think we all know the odds are against the Sox for doing that. It's funny that we went into this offseason with one major problem, pitching, and now we may have found ourselves with 2 problems. Number 1 still being pitching and now number 2 we dont really know where a lot of the offense is going to come from., we are in need of about 5 breakout seasons from our guys.

That's the messed up thing, what if WE aren't in it?  If we're 9 games back at the break, does he spend the money?  Does he have himself to blame for being 9 games back?  I seriously cannot f***ing believe that he traded away CLee and didn't have anything else lined up.  If we're looking to cut salary and totally rebuild this team, then f***ing rebuild, pull a Beane and trade for top prospects, not a couple of 30 yr old vets.

We dont solidify this rotation and I guarantee you we wont be in contention come June/July.

Clevland is on the rise, Twins won't fall that far, Tigers spending money. Don't kid yourself. If we don't get a decent starter or at least improve the offense 4th might not be that far off.

God I hope i'm wrong :crying

I agree w/ WHarris. Tigers might be spending money, but I don't think they can play w/ the Sox over a season, barring injuries.

Clevland is on the rise, Twins won't fall that far, Tigers spending money. Don't kid yourself. If we don't get a decent starter or at least improve the offense 4th might not be that far off.

God I hope i'm wrong :crying

That's what I'm sayin' man. This hanging around in 2nd or 3rd place for 10 years isn't cutting it. If we're out this year, I want to see FG, JG, Kong, Pods, Contreras, Marte, and Everett all dealt at the break for prospects. It's time to start over from scratch, maybe even get some high draft picks. Go into '05 and '06 with a payroll around $45-50M, put the rest in an account and come out in '07 with an extra $50M, on top of "back to normal" payroll, to spend on FAs to fill the holes the prospects gained haven't filled. It's been 86 years since we've won a WS; two years of complete s*** to perhaps piece together a great team is well worth it to me.

I've honestly never heard of a team that saves that much money for a deadline deal.  It sounds like a bunch of BS, if you ask me.  However, the heat will definitely be on KW if he doesn't spend that money.  If he refuses to sign anyone else this off-season, I would be willing to guarantee that he gets fired after this year.  I'm confident this current team won't make the playoffs, and that's the only way he can keep his job (making playoffs).

i totally agree. why wait till the break to have a good team? you have the $ now, so might as well spend it now. like they say, championships aren't won in april, but they can be lost in april. i am confident kenny will spend it. having odalis signed by christmas would be a great christmas gift to us sox fans.

Well just remember people, that we are forgetting one very important ingredient to the midseason trades. The loss of prospects.

For a front line pitcher in June or July kiss one or more of the following gone: Bmac, Honel, Sweeney, or Anderson

Yes we save on money that would be allocated between now and then but we will pay more at that point.

And just remember if JR thinks we are out of it, wave goodbye to some of our contract people like Konerko, Everett, etc.

Its not only a matter of money, but of impact.

I'm with the train of thought that the Sox need to add a starting pitcher to even think about being in the position to save this money for June/July.

If KW pulls a good bat (and I mean above average) for 2b, ss, or C (keeping uribe at 2b or ss) I would accept him getting an actual 4th or 5th starter (Estes to throw a name out there as an example) and then see what happens in june/july.... just someone to give them 6 innings a start and keep his era under 5.50!!!

I'm with the train of thought that the Sox need to add a starting pitcher to even think about being in the position to save this money for June/July.

If KW pulls a good bat (and I mean above average) for 2b, ss, or C (keeping uribe at 2b or ss) I would accept him getting an actual 4th or 5th starter (Estes to throw a name out there as an example) and then see what happens in june/july.... just someone to give them 6 innings a start and keep his era under 5.50!!!

Diaz would be able to keeo his era under 5.50 over the course of the year.

Yet he had less starts, had at least 2 quality starts, and a really good run out of the pen at the end of the year...

Diaz had 7 starts, Grilli had 8.

Grilli was one out away from a quality start on one occasion, 1 ER over the limit on two other occasions, and threw 8 innings giving up 4 ER in a seperate occasion. The quality start thing is getting really old. The Sox went 4-4 in games which Grilli started.

I realize that Diaz was exceptional out of the pen, so why move him back to the rotation where he'll just s*** himself again? He can be very effective for the Sox next year in long relief.

How many times can some of you say the same negative s***?  Ya'll need a therapist or a new team to root for. :stick

Your right...

So are the greatest team ever assembled. Scott Posednik is going to hit .450 and steal 200 bases and we're going to sweep the world series. We will sign Perez and trade for Johnson too.

Every Sox fan has a right to be pissed about this until KW delivers. Don't act like i'm not a real fan just because I don't like the GM stabbing us in the back.

Your right...

So are the greatest team ever assembled. Scott Posednik is going to hit .450 and steal 200 bases and we're going to sweep the world series. We will sign Perez and trade for Johnson too.

Every Sox fan has a right to be pissed about this until KW delivers. Don't act like i'm not a real fan just because I don't like the GM stabbing us in the back.

I am not pissed about anything. What would we be pissed about. I love the Chicago White Sox. You can see me wearing White Sox stuff all the time, and I stick out well in Michigan with it. I have multiple hats which I wear everyday too. I have posters and bobbleheads on my desk. My wallpaper is Podsednik. I am so happy about this team right now. We have an awesome core and a GM who is trying his ass off to make us better. We can all have guys we feel we need, guys who are our favorites, and guys we dislike...but not matter what, we cannot do anything about it. We have only the guys on this team right now to work with. And, as of now, we are all undefeated. Anything can happen, see: last several postseasons. I am very excited to get this team to ST, even if we fail to make another move, I feel confident we will compete.