Films

LosMediasBlancas

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Dec 15, 2006 -> 01:23 AM)
Bought Beerfest on DVD the other day, and it I have a feeling I will watch that movie over and over. It will go down as the second best movie of 2006 behind Jackass.

what's on the un-rated version? aside from boobs, anything good? It was a funny movie..the first 15 minutes were terrible, but it recovered really well.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Dec 15, 2006 -> 10:53 AM)
what's on the un-rated version? aside from boobs, anything good? It was a funny movie..the first 15 minutes were terrible, but it recovered really well.

There's some extra scenes which were decent, if you have a choice definately get the unrated. And you're right, the first 15 minutes weren't that great.

I saw Pursuit of Happyness last night...

Will Smith was great and his son did a decent job too. If you like underdog stories, this one is a good one.

I heard one critique on the movie that said

By reducing the story of homelessness to only Chris Gardner's, The Pursuit of Happyness is saying that anybody can get out of the gutter by simply really, really wanting to do better.
(from rottentomatoes.com)

I hate these people that review movies. This guy missed the point. The movie isn't about some guy down on his luck who "really, really wanting to do better," it's about a guy who WORKS and WORKS to do better.

this is the piece of "the American Dream" that is missing in the 21st Century translation... you have to WORK at being successful. You don't get rock hard abs by simply WANTING them...you don't get a great paying job by WANTING it. Life doesn't wait around for you and drop stuff in your lap.

this is why there are so many fat, unhappy, divorced, broke people in this country. everyone feels entitled.

merry Christmas and happy new year you lazy bastards :D

QUOTE(bmags @ Nov 29, 2006 -> 11:16 PM)
I know a couple o' people that didn't like ' ' fiction, they aren't big ferrel fans though. I'm anxious for the spoon soundtrack

I loathe Will Ferrel, but he has a gift like Steve Martin. He can play roles that don't involve obnoxious, over the top stupidity (though, Steve Martin is hysterical). This movie is creative in the Charlie Kaufman sense, though not nearly as developed, and you end up caring for the main character...which is essential all things fiction. It's also a pretty accurate portrail of how fiction writers work, how they act, the way they see things, etc., as I am a fiction writer myself. (Maybe it's just an accurate portrail of how I work?)

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Dec 19, 2006 -> 02:34 PM)
saw 'The Pursuit Of HappYness' last night. Solid film, but once again if you have a good, true story to begin with, it's tough to screw it up.

I don't know about that, but certainly Will Smith was great in this role.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Dec 19, 2006 -> 01:59 PM)
I don't know about that, but certainly Will Smith was great in this role.

This discussion has come up before. I have a hard time giving too much credit to a film based on actual events. You already have a great story to begin, so tell it. Coming up with a good story and THEN making it into a film is a bigger challenge.

Yes, Smith was solid and I didn't know the kid in the film is his kid in real life. Not a bad actor himself.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Dec 19, 2006 -> 05:30 PM)
This discussion has come up before. I have a hard time giving too much credit to a film based on actual events. You already have a great story to begin, so tell it. Coming up with a good story and THEN making it into a film is a bigger challenge.

Yes, Smith was solid and I didn't know the kid in the film is his kid in real life. Not a bad actor himself.

I see what you're saying and I'm trying to search my memory for a "real life" movie that sucked...

the cheerleader from heroes almost ruined Remember the Titans...

Although you're right, Harry and the Hendersons was a sweet flick.

QUOTE(bmags @ Dec 19, 2006 -> 05:39 PM)
i don't know, joaquin phoenix was pretty ridiculously good as cash and forest whittaker was insanely good as Idi Amin

Phoenix not winning an Oscar is one of the biggest cinematic tragedies ever.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 20, 2006 -> 03:10 PM)
Just got back from Rocky. I liked it cause I like all of them but it wasn't great. 4th or 5th best of the series imo.

:lol: Does he finally die? My friend wrote a version of rocky 6 and he died 10 minutes into the film...that's the movie everyone wants to see.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Dec 20, 2006 -> 02:13 PM)
:lol: Does he finally die? My friend wrote a version of rocky 6 and he died 10 minutes into the film...that's the movie everyone wants to see.

Gets hit by a bus in the opening scene, it was the strangest thing.